Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What you want really depends on if you need to have a motorcycle for off road use or you want it to have a license plate so you can ride gravel roads and regular roadways. I need a bike that has a plate because the area I ride it in (land between the lakes in western KY and in TN) has a bunch of paved and unpaved roadways and those require licensing. So, I'm looking at dual sports instead of off road bikes and I don't even pretend to look at two strokes (prefer 4 strokes and fuel injection).

You can get a brand new XT250 for 5 grand without haggling...I got mine with 2000 miles for 2500 bucks. While it is a bit underpowered compared to actual dirt bikes, and it has a low seat height, and not the best suspension, it's a really fun, durable air-cooled bike that is easy to ride and low maintenance. Other bikes in the dual sport line are the Yamaha WR250R which has more power, better suspension, higher seat height, water cooled, and just a better more modern bike than the XT but more expensive at about 6500 bucks. Still is low maintenance though. The Suzuki drz is carbureted, has a bigger motor, water cooled, basically built like a tank and can be had used for less than three grand. It's been around forever, so used prices vary greatly. Honda has a few dual sports and just came out with a new 400cc model that is like ten grand. More like a dirt bike, with a maintenance schedule to match. KTM and Husqvarna have street legal dirt bikes that ride great off road, but they are pricey too. The new Honda is trying to compete with them.

03-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was younger, a dual sport bike would definitely be on my radar. Reality is, I'm 68 with arthritis and hip issues as well as stenosis in my neck. I am seriously considering three wheels. Buying a built trike is big bucks and out of the budget so I'm kicking around a trike kit or a sidecar. I have seen the Frankenstein trike for Sportsters and it's sweet. For whatever reason, the prices jumped from $3500 to over $5K in the past year so now I'm kicking around sidecars again.
03-06-2019, 06:52 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Just out of college I didn't have much money, my car died and I was working my first real job. I managed to get a cosigner and a loan and bought this bike brand new.

I rode it every day for the first year I had it, then managed to scrape together enough money to buy another car. Still rode it spring, summer and fall for another ten years or so. My buddies and I liked to go into the mountains and catch the sunsets.

03-07-2019, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Racer,

Nice bike. Honda 400cc twin, if I recall ? I would say you made a good decision getting that Honda...reliable, durable and fairly quick for a 350-400 twin in it;s time,

In 1978 I was looking at buying a motorcycle. I had a number in the '60's, but hadn't had one for about a decade at that time. I tried a Kawasaki KZ 650, looked seriously at the Yamaha 650 twin, Honda 360 (forerunner of the Honda 400) and a ;Yamaha SR 500 and the Yamaha XT 500...the last two being big, 4 stroke singles. I really liked the SR 500 looks and in the 1960's the BSA Goldstar 500 single and Matchless 500 CS appealed to me. I've always liked big single cylinder 'thumpers'.

Anyway I got the SR 500 which I still have...and it's fast approaching 41 years with me, bought it in April 1978. I won't part with it and I'm hoping my son eventually takes custody of it, after me.

BTW, nice pix...what camera, lens and film (?) did you use ?

I'm assuming you took the pix way back.

03-07-2019, 02:34 AM - 3 Likes   #20

I've got a bit of a fleet but will start off with my main bike, which is a 2009 Honda CBF1000GT which I've owned since new:

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 02:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In 1978 I was looking at buying a motorcycle. I had a number in the '60's, but hadn't had one for about a decade at that time. I tried a Kawasaki KZ 650, looked seriously at the Yamaha 650 twin, Honda 360 (forerunner of the Honda 400) and a ;Yamaha SR 500 and the Yamaha XT 500...the last two being big, 4 stroke singles. I really liked the SR 500 looks and in the 1960's the BSA Goldstar 500 single and Matchless 500 CS appealed to me. I've always liked big single cylinder 'thumpers'.
One of my bikes is a Honda "thumper" - an XBR500 from 1987:

03-07-2019, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Racer,

Nice bike. Honda 400cc twin, if I recall ? I would say you made a good decision getting that Honda...reliable, durable and fairly quick for a 350-400 twin in it;s time,

Anyway I got the SR 500 which I still have...and it's fast approaching 41 years with me, bought it in April 1978. I won't part with it and I'm hoping my son eventually takes custody of it, after me.

BTW, nice pix...what camera, lens and film (?) did you use ?

I'm assuming you took the pix way back.
Hey Les.

It is the Honda Hawk, CB 400T. They were marketed with the Hondamatic, an automatic transmission, but also had a manual version which is what I bought.

No way would I ever have an automatic. Those are for wusses who can’t figure out how to work a clutch, eh?

And yes, it was a great bike. Quick and reliable, never gave me any problems.

The original Bridgestone tires wore out pretty quickly and I replaced them with a set of Michelin tires in a road racing compound. Excellent traction and handling.

The camera used was my Ricoh XR2s, and Pentax M40-80 zoom. By the time I had the camera the bike was a couple years old.

Shot on Kodachrome, copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.
03-07-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No way would I ever have an automatic. Those are for wusses who can’t figure out how to work a clutch, eh?
Ah, but owning a Hondamatic qualifies you to join an owners club called the Shiftless Bums. I once considered buying one just to have that patch on my vest.

03-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Ah, but owning a Hondamatic qualifies you to join an owners club called the Shiftless Bums. I once considered buying one just to have that patch on my vest.
That’s funny.

But.

Um, no.
03-07-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
I've got a bit of a fleet but will start off with my main bike, which is a 2009 Honda CBF1000GT which I've owned since new:

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 02:37 AM ----------

One of my bikes is a Honda "thumper" - an XBR500 from 1987:
Beautiful motorcycle you have there. A work colleague about 15 years ago, bought one, used, with just a few miles on the odometer. He loved it, and used it for commuting to work, but didn't realize the significance of a 'thumper' roadster. There were some times I would talk to him about it and I must say, I wouldn't of minded having it.

Your later XBR 500 was nicely evolved from my SR 500, given that it has an electric starter (as opposed to my kick start only 500) and a balance shaft to quell the vibrations that a big single can generate.

I do love my SR, but I'm the first to say that the vibration this first generation Yamaha 500 single, can be sometimes a 'feature' I wish it didn't have ...and electric start would be nice, rather than having to hoist my not inconsiderable avoirdupois on the kick start to get it to turn over.

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey Les.

It is the Honda Hawk, CB 400T. They were marketed with the Hondamatic, an automatic transmission, but also had a manual version which is what I bought.

And yes, it was a great bike. Quick and reliable, never gave me any problems.

The original Bridgestone tires wore out pretty quickly and I replaced them with a set of Michelin tires in a road racing compound. Excellent traction and handling.

The camera used was my Ricoh XR2s, and Pentax M40-80 zoom. By the time I had the camera the bike was a couple years old.

Shot on Kodachrome, copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.
I know some bikes had automatics...CB750, the CB 400, a Moto Guzzi model...but like you I've always been of the opinion..a motorcycle needs a clutch and a manual transmission. In fact in my case all my vehicles from age 16 to 31...were manuals, until I caved in to automatics, due to downtown traffic grid twice a day in my city.

I liked the Honda CB series of sports motorcycles, although I'm more familiar with the '60's versions...the CB 72, CB 77 . In the 1960's I rode mostly 2 strokers, but always was impressed with the high revving, hi-po Honda CB's and boy did they sound good, real good. Two of my favourites were the CB 450...when introduced a technological masterpiece and ahead of it's tims and the CB750 four cylinder. Still recall the first time I saw a CB750...think it was the summer of '69 or '70 (can't remember) and there it was, at a red light, alone...with the 4 exhaust pipes...reminded me of an old picture of Mike Hailwood on a racing Honda four leaning it well over in a European race...perhaps the Isle Of Man TT.

Kodachrome...along with Kodak 100 and Tri-X...the films I used mostly back then. I could be wrong but I think the Ricoh XR2s might of been the top of the line camera back then.
05-05-2019, 04:03 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I can play along.

I no longer have the Ducati Multistrada 1100S sadly, but when I lived in Colorado I was hoping to use it for touring and seeing the state and taking pictures of the back country. Although I started riding dirt bikes over 35 years ago, I quickly learned the Duc isn’t as dual sportish as I had hoped. It’s much better sticking to the asphalt.

Obligatory dirt bike pic:

Lately, I’ve taken to long distance riding on a modified, vintage Goldwing. It is truly an amazing bike and practically free when compared to the modern equivalents.

The first major trip involved a nearly 5,000 mile trek around the Canadian Maritimes (4;848 to be exact) in 2015. The latest one involved heading to Tuktoyaktuk and on towards Anchorage. There were 5 vintage Goldwings that started the trip and for those with insomnia and interest in motorcycles, I offer the ride report : The Old Man from Tuktoyaktuk gets the Last Laugh - NGWClub®, Inc.
05-05-2019, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Interesting to read people's biking experiences.

Using pocket money and holiday jobs I bought a second hand Suzuki TS125 in 1973. Me at 17!!!.

Sold that for college funds then while at college bought a 1972 Suzuki GT380 with 'Ram Air', drum brakes, three cylinder two stroke. Same frame as the GT550 so a bit under powered and under-stoppered but still fun. Sold when I moved to a new country. If I were to buy in now it would be a Suzuki (trend visible here) DR or VStrom 600 dual purpose.

No photos of the 380 unfortunately but online image of same model GT380 here.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 01-17-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Image added
05-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #27
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
Oh, I can play along.

I no longer have the Ducati Multistrada 1100S sadly, but when I lived in Colorado I was hoping to use it for touring and seeing the state and taking pictures of the back country. Although I started riding dirt bikes over 35 years ago, I quickly learned the Duc isn’t as dual sportish as I had hoped. It’s much better sticking to the asphalt.

Obligatory dirt bike pic:

Lately, I’ve taken to long distance riding on a modified, vintage Goldwing. It is truly an amazing bike and practically free when compared to the modern equivalents.

The first major trip involved a nearly 5,000 mile trek around the Canadian Maritimes (4;848 to be exact) in 2015. The latest one involved heading to Tuktoyaktuk and on towards Anchorage. There were 5 vintage Goldwings that started the trip and for those with insomnia and interest in motorcycles, I offer the ride report : The Old Man from Tuktoyaktuk gets the Last Laugh - NGWClub®, Inc.
Hi HMS

What a great trip you had and well recorded.....

I don't ride but enjoy a good adventure

Dave
05-07-2019, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi HMS

What a great trip you had and well recorded.....

I don't ride but enjoy a good adventure

Dave
Thanks, it was quite the adventure.

I just realized I forgot to say why I enjoy motorcycling (per OP’s request). I’ve been riding since I was 12 (dirtbikes) and “graduated” to legal adventure motorcycling relatively late. But the thrill and openness is damn near impossible to beat. The smells, scenery and intimacy (both operating a manual machine and immersion in the surroundings) combined with the developed skills and honestly a bit of risk...pure magic. Especially with friends in distant places.

I applied my photography interest more earnestly during our prior big trip in the Maritimes in 2015:

01-11-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #29

Sorry that this is an old thread but I'm new here and have a lot of catching up to do. It's a 2009 Suzuki TU250X. I love the retro look. Don't use it for the hobby.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T7i  Photo 
01-15-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2007 Vstrom 1000. Great road bike, suitable for fire roads, not so great for off road, single track. Might sell in the next few years to get into more off road, and to get more scenic photos.
Attached Images