Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How much would you pay for a mini detail job on your car?

The other day I got my car washed, vacuumed it and cleaned the interior surfaces.

While not a full fledged detail it made a big difference.

It occurred to me that this might be a way to make some extra cash.

How much would you pay for the convenience of having someone in your neighborhood pick up your car and do that for you?

I can advertise for free on my community neighborhood site so that cost for me is non-existent.

Thanks.

12-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've paid ~$120 CAD for a pretty thorough detailing of a big pickup a few times. This is a standby X-mas present for my father-in-law. Have you checked the rates of services local to you for comparison?

Also, any reason you can't do it in their driveway? I'd be wary of any unknown independent operator offering to come take my car away.
12-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Nothing. My 18 year old car isn't worth paying someone to detail it.
12-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in the UK, so the prices probably wouldn't be relevant.

However, if you decide to do this, don't forget that you'll need appropriate insurance that covers you for driving customers' vehicles and for any damage you might accidentally cause while detailing them. You'll want to factor those costs plus into your pricing... Plus, of course, don't forget taxes on your profits / earnings

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
12-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you'd need a business license to operate a business at your home. At least in our state you do.

And I agree with Brian, I'd never let an unknown take my Jeep anywhere, unless they'd let me do the driving to their place of business.

My brother gets his Ford F150 detailed for $20.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-21-2018 at 09:02 AM.
12-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I've paid ~$120 CAD for a pretty thorough detailing of a big pickup a few times. This is a standby X-mas present for my father-in-law. Have you checked the rates of services local to you for comparison?

Also, any reason you can't do it in their driveway? I'd be wary of any unknown independent operator offering to come take my car away.
The car wash is convenient, quick and a better use of time and money.

As for people letting me take their car, that is a nonissue in our neighborhood.

We have a very active neighborhood association and I have been a member for years Nd have been active in it.

We find each others lost dogs, help people move, have a community Christmas Tree Lighting, pancake breakfast, potlucks, etc.

Having people trust me with their car would be automatic.
12-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
The car wash is convenient, quick and a better use of time and money.

As for people letting me take their car, that is a nonissue in our neighborhood.

We have a very active neighborhood association and I have been a member for years Nd have been active in it.

We find each others lost dogs, help people move, have a community Christmas Tree Lighting, pancake breakfast, potlucks, etc.

Having people trust me with their car would be automatic.
You should have enlightened us to start with, just saying going out and getting people to let you drive their vehicle to your house is different than your neighbors letting you drive their car to your house.
12-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nothing I have not enough money to pay people to do things I can do myself.

12-22-2018, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn’t pay for it. This is your competition:

In fifteen minutes my local car wash will do a ‘Whole Thing’ service for $28 (50% off on Tuesdays) that includes
  1. Premlinary manual hose off of wheel wells and lower bumper areas
  2. Machine wash with no brushes, foam soap and wax (useless), carpet strip wipe and rinse
  3. Application of various chemicals to remove brake dust , road tar, etc
  4. Power undercarriage blast and road salt removal treatment
  5. Power dry
  6. Complete hand towel dry (team of two HS kids)
  7. Complete interior cleaning, wipe down, vent dusting and window / mirror cleaning
  8. Complete wipe down of all door sills and door ends
  9. Floor mat power vacuum/beater or power wash for rubber mats
  10. Complete carpet vacuum including cargo area or trunk
  11. Secondary hand washing of wheels to remove residual brake dust
  12. Treat tire sidewalls
I takes 15 minutes and the car is spotlesss. An on-site detail service is available for $100 that does the above, plus carpet shampoo and deeper cleaning of interior surfaces.

I get gas every Tuesday and have the Whole Thing. $14

If I give them $300 I can have as many washes as I want for a year - and FREE Whole Thing washes on Tuesdays plus 10 cent / gallon gas discount. I stop on the way home from work every Tuesday, fill up and get a free wash.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-22-2018 at 11:31 PM.
12-23-2018, 03:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

In fifteen minutes my local car wash will do a ‘Whole Thing’ service for $28 (50% off on Tuesdays) that includes
  2. Machine wash with no brushes, foam soap and wax (useless), carpet strip wipe and rinse
  5. Power dry
  7. Complete interior cleaning, wipe down, vent dusting and window / mirror cleaning
  12. Treat tire sidewalls
I takes 15 minutes and the car is spotlesss. An on-site detail service is available for $100 that does the above, plus carpet shampoo and deeper cleaning of interior surfaces.

If I give them $300 I can have as many washes as I want for a year - and FREE Whole Thing washes on Tuesdays plus 10 cent / gallon gas discount. I stop on the way home from work every Tuesday, fill up and get a free wash.
That's a good deal.

I have a couple of preferred wash and valet places nearby (within five and ten minutes respectively). A basic external hand wash, wax and dry for a small-to-medium-size car costs GBP £5.00, rising to £7.00 for large cars and 4x4s. Mine's a 4x4 but quite compact, so they only charge me £5, and I usually give the guys a £1 tip. A full valet (equivalent to your "Whole Thing", but minus the undercarriage cleaning) is £15 (£17 with a tip). I can browse around the garden centre next door or have a coffee or snack in the cafe while I wait

I don't drive a lot of miles, so my car doesn't get dirty quickly. I go for the basic wash, wax and dry every two or three weeks, and the full valet every couple of months. I'd estimate I'm spending at most £170 - £180 a year keeping my car clean (well, as clean as I need it to be)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-23-2018 at 06:35 AM.
12-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Afraid I'm not your target market either.I drive my car through a car wash machine every couple of months at a cost of £3 a pop.
12-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

5. Power dry
  12. Treat tire sidewalls

That is a pretty good deal.

No doubt about it.
12-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been trying to come up with ideas some make some extra cash on the side and I guess this is one idea that is probably not worth trying.

I don't need a business license for something like this in my town but if I am handling people's vehicles I would need insurance and given the poor feedback here it seems that would probably be a poor investment.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.