Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He did the speaker review so he could write off the expense of his new speakers on his taxes this year. By writing a review and publishing it on his website, the IRS in the USA will consider his speakers as a legitimate business expense .

What's next from him, car reviews so he can write off the price of his new car?

12-25-2018, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
He did the speaker review so he could write off the expense of his new speakers on his taxes this year. By writing a review and publishing it on his website, the IRS in the USA will consider his speakers as a legitimate business expense .

What's next from him, car reviews so he can write off the price of his new car?
(Laughs). A new phase of his career - restaurant critic.

12-25-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It can be a good idea to have two subwoofers but it certainly is not because low bass is mixed in stereo.

12-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

A quick bit of internet research indicates that KR may be onto something.

Q. Is there any advantage to using two subwoofers? |

Are Two Subwoofers Better than One? | Audioholics

Why Two Subwoofers Are Seriously Better Than One – M8audio.com

On the photography side of things, it seems that he has never seen a Canon or Nikon that he didn't like. The prints that he sells look good but most some of the pictures he uses in his reviews are just meh.

Last edited by Wasp; 12-25-2018 at 01:01 PM.
12-25-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I use a single Yamaha NS-SW300 subwoofer with my Linn Kans, but things like timpani and double basses still sound like they're in a defined place in the soundstage because they are mostly reproduced by the stereo pair. The sub only fills in that bottom octave that is omnidirectional anyway. And since I listen mostly to vinyl, I know that the bass will be mainly mono in the recording because of the simple limitations of what can be cut into the groove.

As for Ken Rockfish's notions about audio: I remember him heaping praise on the old Technics third-octave graphic equaliser somewhere on his site, so that pretty much says it all. And although I personally find his photos horribly oversaturated, if he's able to "support his growing family" with them then all the best to him.
It's higher order harmonics from those two sound sources that give you directional clues. A pipe organ or other "pure" tone generator of less than 500 hz is non-directional, regardless of how the recording is mixed. It's also worth noting that cheap speakers produce their own spurious resonances, some of which are of a high enough frequency to add a certain "ambience" to the overall sound. To make things even more muddled, a good sound engineer will make sure the recording is "lively" so it sounds likes a live performance in a room with acoustics that enhance the music; a poor sound engineer adds artificial amplification and reverb, butchering the musicians work. What Dave Dexter Jr. did to the Beatles before releasing their recordings in the U.S. is criminal.

What can be branded as art has been so cheapened by the Internet, that Ken Rockwell's boring paint-by-PP photographs have to be considered as art. Art doesn't have to be good to be art, it just has to be produced by an artist and the barriers to "being" an artist are so vaporous that simply wishing to be an artist is good enough.
12-25-2018, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

As a Musician and an audio nut, I have a number of issues with the sweeping statements Ken makes. Allow me to preface this: In my photography studio I have dual 16" SVS subwoofers and a pair Klipsch floorstanding towers with a 1" Klipschorn and dual 8" woofer drivers. Now, it takes a bit of mucking about with tone controls and equalizers to get the Klipsch floor standers to sound like there is a subwoofer in the mix - but when you do this you colour the sound and things no longer sound they way the engineers intended it to. You also increase the probability of the woofer cones to "fart-out" or reach the limits of their suspension.

Subwoofers are [especially in the case of SVS and Sunfire which are rather overdesigned] to have some pretty absurd amounts of extension, Subwoofers intended designed to reproduce sounds at the lower octaves of our hearing, and also give a visceral realism to movie sound effects. The reason I have dual subwoofers has nothing to do with stereo imaging - Subwoofers by definition deal with frequencies greater than the distance between our ears and thus have no directionality*. I have dual subwoofers to compensate for acoustic deficiencies in my workspace.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Ken is pretty knowledgeable about audio
I wouldn't give him that much credit, He's probably paraphrasing Wikipedia articles.

* depending on how high the crossover is set, as the cut off frequency gets higher you can detect where the lower frequencies are coming from.
12-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As a Musician and an audio nut, I have a number of issues with the sweeping statements Ken makes. Allow me to preface this: In my photography studio I have dual 16" SVS subwoofers and a pair Klipsch floorstanding towers with a 1" Klipschorn and dual 8" woofer drivers. Now, it takes a bit of mucking about with tone controls and equalizers to get the Klipsch floor standers to sound like there is a subwoofer in the mix - but when you do this you colour the sound and things no longer sound they way the engineers intended it to. You also increase the probability of the woofer cones to "fart-out" or reach the limits of their suspension.

Subwoofers are [especially in the case of SVS and Sunfire which are rather overdesigned] to have some pretty absurd amounts of extension, Subwoofers intended designed to reproduce sounds at the lower octaves of our hearing, and also give a visceral realism to movie sound effects. The reason I have dual subwoofers has nothing to do with stereo imaging - Subwoofers by definition deal with frequencies greater than the distance between our ears and thus have no directionality*. I have dual subwoofers to compensate for acoustic deficiencies in my workspace.

I wouldn't give him that much credit, He's probably paraphrasing Wikipedia articles.

* depending on how high the crossover is set, as the cut off frequency gets higher you can detect where the lower frequencies are coming from.
Merry Christmas Digitalis, it's a fine day here in Adelaide this morning.

I felt that Ken was pretty much spot on, my experience is that 2 good full range speakers are better than a TV set with sub woofers. I have a pair of B&W DM6 and they can way down. Perhaps the question is how much of our movies actually have anything below 100 or even 50hz.

The TV speakers sets all struggle below 100hz, thankfully my K70 and K200D have no issues with it.

PS never thought of a speaker review for tax purposes

Have a good New Year
Greg

Last edited by Greg1956; 12-25-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: another comment
12-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #23

Original Poster
I have dual subwoofers to compensate for acoustic deficiencies in my workspace.
Exactly. This is the reason for two subwoofers. Nothing to do with Stereo.

12-25-2018, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ah, Truth. We used to have a newspaper here called The Truth. It was anything but, although it had its adherents. The Soviet Union had theirs too (Pravda). We had an engineering lecturer who said that Truth was one or more facts overlaid with a series of biases and interpretations. He also said that a fact was something so small it could crawl between an ant’s gonads.

Back to Ken Rockwell’s dodgy assertion. Anyone with a smidgen of acoustic theory knows that (low) bass audio is omnidirectional, so attempting to set it into a sound stage with stereo is at best fraught and at worst an exercise in self-pleasuring.
Do audiophile amps even have dual sub-outs? Admittedly I only have a Denon 9.2 Channel AVR for both audio and 4K video (AVR’s were dissed in his post) but I only have one set of powered (or passive) sub outs .
12-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don’t care what this thread is about. I’d just like to comment that the title of this thread is the best ever.
Sounds like he's got a bad case of the munchies that he's taking care of with a big hot dog sandwich.

Last edited by Ash; 12-25-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: masked profanity
12-25-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do audiophile amps even have dual sub-outs?
High end Amplifiers from Emotiva, Rotel, and Woo audio feature dual sub out connections. Powered monitors also have sub out connections.

The SVS subwoofers I use have stereo L/R XLR inputs/outputs, however theses are only a signal pass through for use with powered monitors. Using XLR only makes sense when you need to use long cable runs.

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
There's a lot of speculation about him taking digitalis and it affecting the blue cones in his eyes around the time of his yellow period.
That is a theory. There is well documented evidence of colour perception changing with age - Rembrandt's paintings show this change. My own eyes perceive colour slightly differently from each other.
12-25-2018, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Subwoofers by definition deal with frequencies greater than the distance between our ears .
Just because Digitalis so rarely gets ANYTHING wrong, a small correction, the wavelength is greater than the distance between our ears; the frequency is in units of 1/time, so gives no information about distance (except we know the speed of sound, so, yes, it's pedantic, but still, comparing frequency to distance is incorrect).
12-26-2018, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Just because Digitalis so rarely gets ANYTHING wrong, a small correction, the wavelength is greater than the distance between our ears; the frequency is in units of 1/time so gives no information about distance
Fair point, I wouldn't say I never get anything wrong: In my past there are things that have gone spectacularly wrong. What is important to know is that an error only becomes a mistake if you refuse to learn from it and take responsibility for it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-26-2018 at 02:22 AM.
12-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Just because Digitalis so rarely gets ANYTHING wrong, a small correction, the wavelength is greater than the distance between our ears; the frequency is in units of 1/time, so gives no information about distance (except we know the speed of sound, so, yes, it's pedantic, but still, comparing frequency to distance is incorrect).
Fair point...
I suppose, but we know what you meant anyway.
12-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

His technical reviews of audio gear are often backed up with measurements from test equipment that he obviously knows how to use.