Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #1

Information wanted.

Will someone PLEASE tell me what the term "BOKEH" means?

02-27-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I think we did that??
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3634-answer-questi...html#post30086
02-27-2007, 03:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Bokeh. Answer supplied.

Thanks guys; I posted the question for thesecond time because I coukldn't find a reply - which I found later.
02-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The word came from Japanese language, meaning to blurr or unclear.

The word bokeh is originally coined by Nikon users for out of focus rendering.

However, bokeh being just blurred can be due to the following reasons

1. out of focus

2. under exposure (could be grainy as well)

3. motion or movement

Bokeh quality is hard to be assessed or quantified due to its "blurred" definition. In general, the smoother and creamier the better. A lot of enthusiastists love the style of subject isolation where the object of the interest is sharp and in focus with surrounding image being blurred. There has been a crowd of followers loving this style of photography.

After all, you could offend some people using the word, bokeh. So you might just use the term "out of focus rendering". What ever it is, whether a good bokeh is a good bokeh depending whether it is your cup of tea

My good bokeh looks like this