Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2019, 05:41 PM - 6 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, the moderators are a huge factor in keeping this place friendly. Thanks to each and every one of you. For myself, I *try* to live by Rule 1 online as well as offline. Makes life nicer.

Rule 1: Don’t be a dick. Nice and simple.

01-03-2019, 08:39 AM - 7 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This thread lens itself to f-stopping for a moment for some reflexing on the forums.

Although we do occasionally shutter when we are exposed to ISOlated flashes of acrimony on PF, most people maintain a sunny f/16 demeanor with just enough loony f/11 to astrotrace a smile on our faces.

Here's to more camera-raderie in 2019!
01-03-2019, 02:54 PM - 4 Likes   #18

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to you and the other moderators for keeping this forum the friendly place that it is. I check in several times a week ...even at work because of the great comments, analysis, and assistance that freely given. I continue to learn a lot from the members and even appreciate the sense of humor displayed by many of the regular posters.
I hope that 2019 is good to you and all of the forum members!
Doug
01-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My PentaxForums retrospective for 2018, and thoughts for the New Year
Well, Mike, how do you think we did?

01-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Well, Mike, how do you think we did?
It's funny you should ask... I'll be posting a New Year's message in the next day or two
01-05-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A year ago, I posted My PentaxForums "New Year's Wish" for 2018... and here we are, another year gone already. My, how time flies as I get older

A good friend of mine and fellow moderator @pjv (Peter) - who, by the way, has put in a huge amount of effort on our collective behalf this last year - suggested I might consider posting a follow up to that previous "New Year's Wish". So here it is. Please direct any complaints to Peter, since it was his idea (sorry, Pete )...

What a year it has been in this world of ours There have been many positive aspects, for sure - things to be happy about and thankful for. But it seems there's been so much trouble, sadness and heart-ache... so many things to worry about, so much "noise". We live in an increasingly complicated and stressful world. And many will have had personal, family and / or professional issues to deal with too, I'm sure.

Most of us here at PentaxForums are hobbyists, but even those professionals among us come here, I'd guess, for much the same reasons... to enjoy a particular kind of social interaction, gain and share knowledge, exchange views and ideas, solve problems for ourselves or others, and just to "chew the fat". With everything that's happening elsewhere, I'd like to believe most of us would wish to do so with a healthy dose of mutual respect (perhaps even cameraderie) towards each other. Indeed, I'd suggest those that don't are missing the point - no, the very spirit - of these particular forums, compared to some other well-known online haunts

To my mind, PentaxForums has become a noticeably friendlier place in the past year, and that's due primarily to our members - to whom I'm personally grateful. Of course, we still have some of the same old problems with emotions and passions running high on occasion (especially where matters of pride are concerned), and some members "crossing the line" as a result But it really feels to me like we're moving in the right direction. That puts a big smile on my face, as this is still the only online community in which I choose to participate regularly - not just as a moderator, but as an active member - and it continues to play a significant role in my daily life.

What a year it could be for us if we all pull together to make this an even friendlier place... if we all exercise just a little more restraint in those inevitable times when our emotions are stirred... if we calmly employ facts, logic and reasoning - rather than barbed comments - to challenge others...

We now have more guidance for new members to help them understand and acclimatise to our community, and some new and updated forum rules, but really it's we - the members - who hold the power to make the biggest difference in how this community goes about its business, attracts and retains members, grows in value and stature, and - importantly - how it is perceived from outside.

On that note, I'm reminded of two rather hackneyed (yet still absolutely relevant) pieces of advice my mother drummed into me when I was but a mere slip of a lad (and I hope you'll forgive me for sharing them):

- "Two 'wrongs' don't make a 'right'"

...and...

- "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

That latter phrase might be rather limiting to constructive discussion in these forums, and could benefit from a little adaptation. Perhaps it would be better phrased as "If you can't say something respectfully, don't say anything at all"?

At any rate, this advice from my Mum is on my own check-list for the year ahead, and I hope I can convince others to consider it too. Take it from me... you don't want to mess with my Mum!

In closing, I'd like to sincerely thank every member here, from our newest to our longest-established. I continue to learn every day from so many of you. You teach me things I didn't know, make me challenge what I thought I already did, and help me solve my problems. Despite occasional frustrations, I've enjoyed every single day on these forums (especially when I can pass on some of my limited knowledge to help others), and I always look forward to the wide-ranging discussions - even those in the News & Rumours and Non-Pentax forums!!

Here's wishing all of my fellow members - and your loved ones - a wonderful 2019. May it bring all you wish for

With my kindest regards...
Took the words right out of my mouth.

It's funny you should ask... I'll be posting a New Year's message in the next day or two
We await with bated breath, Mike.

Happy New Year!
01-08-2020, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This isn't the only forum I enjoy, but it's the only photographic one I frequent. I'm finding people generally friendly and helpful (like the forums I use for other subjects) and the humorous banter in some threads very enjoyable – hopefully others understand or tolerate my own contributions – but I still won't buy a K-3ii.

I especially enjoy seeing other people's images, and the means to express my appreciation, much more than gear wrangling. I still feel the forum is more about gear than images, but it's still a mostly friendly place. The trick (as always) is not to take things personally – so don't!