Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 04:52 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My PentaxForums retrospective for 2018, and thoughts for the New Year

A year ago, I posted My PentaxForums "New Year's Wish" for 2018... and here we are, another year gone already. My, how time flies as I get older

A good friend of mine and fellow moderator @pjv (Peter) - who, by the way, has put in a huge amount of effort on our collective behalf this last year - suggested I might consider posting a follow up to that previous "New Year's Wish". So here it is. Please direct any complaints to Peter, since it was his idea (sorry, Pete )...

What a year it has been in this world of ours There have been many positive aspects, for sure - things to be happy about and thankful for. But it seems there's been so much trouble, sadness and heart-ache... so many things to worry about, so much "noise". We live in an increasingly complicated and stressful world. And many will have had personal, family and / or professional issues to deal with too, I'm sure.

Most of us here at PentaxForums are hobbyists, but even those professionals among us come here, I'd guess, for much the same reasons... to enjoy a particular kind of social interaction, gain and share knowledge, exchange views and ideas, solve problems for ourselves or others, and just to "chew the fat". With everything that's happening elsewhere, I'd like to believe most of us would wish to do so with a healthy dose of mutual respect (perhaps even cameraderie) towards each other. Indeed, I'd suggest those that don't are missing the point - no, the very spirit - of these particular forums, compared to some other well-known online haunts

To my mind, PentaxForums has become a noticeably friendlier place in the past year, and that's due primarily to our members - to whom I'm personally grateful. Of course, we still have some of the same old problems with emotions and passions running high on occasion (especially where matters of pride are concerned), and some members "crossing the line" as a result But it really feels to me like we're moving in the right direction. That puts a big smile on my face, as this is still the only online community in which I choose to participate regularly - not just as a moderator, but as an active member - and it continues to play a significant role in my daily life.

What a year it could be for us if we all pull together to make this an even friendlier place... if we all exercise just a little more restraint in those inevitable times when our emotions are stirred... if we calmly employ facts, logic and reasoning - rather than barbed comments - to challenge others...

We now have more guidance for new members to help them understand and acclimatise to our community, and some new and updated forum rules, but really it's we - the members - who hold the power to make the biggest difference in how this community goes about its business, attracts and retains members, grows in value and stature, and - importantly - how it is perceived from outside.

On that note, I'm reminded of two rather hackneyed (yet still absolutely relevant) pieces of advice my mother drummed into me when I was but a mere slip of a lad (and I hope you'll forgive me for sharing them):

- "Two 'wrongs' don't make a 'right'"

...and...

- "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

That latter phrase might be rather limiting to constructive discussion in these forums, and could benefit from a little adaptation. Perhaps it would be better phrased as "If you can't say something respectfully, don't say anything at all"?

At any rate, this advice from my Mum is on my own check-list for the year ahead, and I hope I can convince others to consider it too. Take it from me... you don't want to mess with my Mum!

In closing, I'd like to sincerely thank every member here, from our newest to our longest-established. I continue to learn every day from so many of you. You teach me things I didn't know, make me challenge what I thought I already did, and help me solve my problems. Despite occasional frustrations, I've enjoyed every single day on these forums (especially when I can pass on some of my limited knowledge to help others), and I always look forward to the wide-ranging discussions - even those in the News & Rumours and Non-Pentax forums!!

Here's wishing all of my fellow members - and your loved ones - a wonderful 2019. May it bring all you wish for

With my kindest regards...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-01-2019 at 04:48 AM.
12-31-2018, 05:03 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the thoughtful post Mike, I like to spend time around here (on PF) as it's generally quite a friendly place.
I hope you, and all the other members, have a smashing 2019.
(I'll spare you from Auld Lang Syne in this post...)

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Two 'wrongs' don't make a 'right'.
...but three lefts do...
12-31-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Happy New Year....and beyond....

Yes this forum is a great place to be...thanks to all members and all the "backroom people",and of course Adam

Dave
12-31-2018, 05:24 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Please direct any complaints to Peter, since it was his idea
Excellent follow up to last year Mike, and very happy to take the blame for this one buddy.
I believe if each member here treated the others as they would expect to be treated themselves...................................................well, you know.

BTW. I reckon your mum and my mum might be distant relatives..........................just sayin'.

12-31-2018, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best wishes to my fellow Pentax Users for a wonderful New Year!
12-31-2018, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Happy "Pentax Centennial Year" to all!
12-31-2018, 08:01 PM - 3 Likes   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your efforts here, Mike. You and @pjv (Peter) are two people I look to for the standards we should maintain. 2019 should be interesting because the Pentax 100th anniversary will surely be marked with something special that will fan the flames (or should that be flame the fans? ) here and elsewhere. Sometimes it is amusing to follow the tirades but really we are all here for one reason - we like Pentax or Pentax glass, at whatever level, in whatever format, or for whatever reason we shoot.

12-31-2018, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You and @pjv (Peter) are two people I look to for the standards we should maintain.
Thanks mate, much appreciated.
12-31-2018, 08:32 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe we have good moderators here, and good moderation. I have tried to be a bit less "noisy" where I don't have good and direct experience with the subject at hand. I do think that sometimes people are kind of absolute in their opinions at times, and also at times folks could lighten up just a little. But overall I think things here are pretty great.
12-31-2018, 09:53 PM - 3 Likes   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Moderating team here is what holds this site together. Without them, I doubt many of us would want to stick around and participate. So a big thank you for the behind the scenes work that goes on, in order to keep this site informative; but most of all, friendly!

A very Happy 2019, filled with happiness and good health to everyone here!

Mike, I hope every member takes the time to read your message; it's the very foundation of this wonderful site!
01-01-2019, 02:33 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This needs to be a sticky post.

Thanks Mike, but I give all credit to Pete since on your admission it was his idea.
01-01-2019, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This needs to be a sticky post.
Done
01-01-2019, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post! Many of the reasons I continue to haunt this forum, but it’s the people that really make this place what it is.

Here’s to another great year ahead!
01-01-2019, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree Mike. And thank you to you and all of the other moderators who do your best to keep this site as friendly as possible while still allowing for some debates.

Too bad everyone can't be reasoned and insightful (like me)...

Hope everyone out there has a wonderful 2019 and looking forward to spending another year with all of you!
01-02-2019, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Awesome commentary Mike.

Indeed, this community is one I enjoy spending time with, and I rarely, if ever visit others. Too much drama at some. Too much one sided viewpoints.

Here, flexibility, tolerance, patience, understanding and forgiveness have more value than what I see in some other communities. Too bad, really, but their loss, not ours.

So best wishes to everyone here at Pentax Forums for the coming year, may it be everything that each of you expects it to be.