Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ASUS notebook

Hi all, can someone explain to me why my computer went haywire yesterday and changed the hard drive of my photos from drive E to F which was the one i used to download my pics from the memory card, also some pictures have disappeared somewhere as there is a big red X where the pics were, thanks ian

01-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Not possible for anyone to diagnose from here, Ian, but a possibility is your card got loose and was reseated with another drive letter, any E drive pics are now on the F drive and can't display in your software ifcit hasn't been told about the change.

01-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it was an off-board USB hard-drive then disconnecting it and reconnecting it sometimes results in it being assigned a different drive letter. You can search the web for info on how to change an assigned drive letter. If you're using Windows, use Disk Management, right-click the drive and select Change Drive Letter or something like that. I think there's a way to permanently assign a drive letter.

No idea about the other symptom unless there are invalid short-cuts due to the drive letter change.
01-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not possible for anyone to diagnose from here, Ian, but a possibility is your card got loose and was reseated with another drive letter, any E drive pics are now on the F drive and can't display in your software ifcit hasn't been told about the change.
thanks for the reply, it seems to be ok now, ian

---------- Post added 01-08-19 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
If it was an off-board USB hard-drive then disconnecting it and reconnecting it sometimes results in it being assigned a different drive letter. You can search the web for info on how to change an assigned drive letter. If you're using Windows, use Disk Management, right-click the drive and select Change Drive Letter or something like that. I think there's a way to permanently assign a drive letter.

No idea about the other symptom unless there are invalid short-cuts due to the drive letter change.
thanks for the reply, it seems to be ok now, ian

01-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the correct forum. Troubleshooting and help section is for camera issues, not computers. General Talk is the place for those issues.

nosliwmit is most likely right about what happened. Drives change letters when you plug and unplug your externals. Or if you move photos from one place to another place.