Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Puzzled

I notice a difference now when I click on a "today's photos". Now some of them take much longer to appear. I just replaced my old computer with a new Dell (which I think is a screaming machine) and I was able to use a DVI cable to my monitor instead of the old VGA. I was surprised, I now had much sharper photos. I think I have a fast internet connection about 260mbps and 12mbps. So I'm puzzled as to why some of the photos on "today's photos" take so long to appear like ten seconds or so. Anyone else have this or is it just me? By the way uploading photos in Windows 10 is awful.

01-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
I notice a difference now when I click on a "today's photos". Now some of them take much longer to appear. I just replaced my old computer with a new Dell (which I think is a screaming machine) and I was able to use a DVI cable to my monitor instead of the old VGA. I was surprised, I now had much sharper photos. I think I have a fast internet connection about 260mbps and 12mbps. So I'm puzzled as to why some of the photos on "today's photos" take so long to appear like ten seconds or so. Anyone else have this or is it just me? By the way uploading photos in Windows 10 is awful.
What browser are you using? I use Windows10 with Chrome and it works perfectly. I don't like the Edge browser. Chrome is a bulky resources hog, but it works.
01-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What browser are you using? I use Windows10 with Chrome and it works perfectly. I don't like the Edge browser. Chrome is a bulky resources hog, but it works.
I'm using firefox. I never had that happen before so I thought is was my set up.
01-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using firefox. I never had that happen before so I thought is was my set up.
Might be some latency on the site. As far as I know, firefox is a good browser.

01-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Might be some latency on the site. As far as I know, firefox is a good browser.
I have to say thank you, I never thought of the browser and after googling around I see there has been problems in the past. I'll let you know what I find.
01-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use firefox for everything, but I hate Windows 10 and rarely use it. There was a glitch with Firefox recently, which was fixed in the latest version. Make sure you’re running the latest.
01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I use firefox for everything, but I hate Windows 10 and rarely use it. There was a glitch with Firefox recently, which was fixed in the latest version. Make sure you’re running the latest.
I do have the latest update on Firefox. I also did a refresh but it didn't do much. In "today's photos" there is a post by "Cee Cee" named "Nature Twins" which is one that took a long time to load. I tried it on my wife's computer running Win 7 and it was slow loading too. Other photos popped up just fine. Maybe it is just a big file? I even restarted the computer once. I miss my Windows 7.

01-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have the latest update on Firefox. I also did a refresh but it didn't do much. In "today's photos" there is a post by "Cee Cee" named "Nature Twins" which is one that took a long time to load. I tried it on my wife's computer running Win 7 and it was slow loading too. Other photos popped up just fine. Maybe it is just a big file? I even restarted the computer once. I miss my Windows 7.
All uploaded files (photos), if larger than the maximum, are downsampled to meet the size requirements, so I don’t think it’s the photo. It could be the server or something else at PF?

If you aren’t having trouble with other photos now, then I’m not sure what’s going on.

I agree, Windows 7 was much better. I got so fed up with Windows, I switched back to a Linux platform and am much happier. I still have one Windows laptop and my big desktop is dual boot, but that’s because I have one piece of hardware I use now and then that only works with Windows.
01-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
All uploaded files (photos), if larger than the maximum, are downsampled to meet the size requirements, so I don’t think it’s the photo. It could be the server or something else at PF?

If you aren’t having trouble with other photos now, then I’m not sure what’s going on.

I agree, Windows 7 was much better. I got so fed up with Windows, I switched back to a Linux platform and am much happier. I still have one Windows laptop and my big desktop is dual boot, but that’s because I have one piece of hardware I use now and then that only works with Windows.
I remember now, reading about the downsampling so your right it was not the photos. I opened some new ones this morning and everything seems OK. I didn't see anything wrong on my end, no techy here, but I did reset my comcast modem and maybe that made the difference. Windows 7 seemed logical to me. Windows 10 looks cheap in my opinion. The start screen for one drives me nuts. I've spent hours and hours googling around on how to change it. I got rid of the tiles for one and getting something simple like control panel I just type it in the search. I'm starting to get used to it but I still spend a lot of time looking for things. I thought I would put Linux on my old machine and see what it is like. I like your idea of dual boot and if I get used to it on my old machine I might just try it so thanks.