Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What is your price threshold where a store should honour an error? Does it differ for Amazon and a small, independent business?

In Canada, we have a "Scanning Code of Practice" that brick and mortar stores can voluntarily adopt. If an item scans higher at the checkout than its ticketed price, you get the item free or $10 off, whichever is lower. It's nice to have a set amount for resolutions in cases like this.
Yep, Amazon does differ from a small and independent business, in the same way filthy rich people are taxed higher than those on sucky salaries

Or course in an ideal world the filthy rich businesses would pay the taxes also...

01-21-2019, 05:55 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I do believe it's human error, it just sucks when you actually have the foresight to check before hand, get it in writing and they still won't come through properly on the deal... for what... $50? This really is $50 vs customer satisfaction from a billion dollar company, let's not forget that fact. Pretty sure they can handle this loss from a mistake they made..."

"I just paid $40AUD (including shipping) for a $58USD item (including shipping), heck... I should order one again and do the same complaint strategy!"

These two statements by the OP kind of give off the stench of, let's say, 'greedy opportunist'. Just because the company you ordered from has transformed itself into an incredibly successful online marketplace, doesn't mean that they owe you something when a mistake is made. You knew that it looked like a ridiculously good offer when you first saw it. And kudos for double checking it before you ordered. But by continuing to 'escalate', despite their apologizing and offering a perfectly acceptable remedy, you are the one that comes out looking a bit foolish. Yup, you finally got what you wanted, yet you still felt compelled to post this to PF for some reason.
Maybe if you were harmed in a way that was extremely detrimental to your photography business, causing you to lose clients or future opportunities. Then I would expect an angry CS encounter. But it doesn't sound like that was the case.

I am disabled, and have come to use Amazon and other online businesses, simply because it makes my life a little easier. And I've got to say, despite how humongous Amazon has gotten, I am constantly amazed at how efficiently they get the job done right. When something has gone wrong with an order, they have yet to fail at getting it fixed.
01-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
"I do believe it's human error, it just sucks when you actually have the foresight to check before hand, get it in writing and they still won't come through properly on the deal... for what... $50? This really is $50 vs customer satisfaction from a billion dollar company, let's not forget that fact. Pretty sure they can handle this loss from a mistake they made..."

"I just paid $40AUD (including shipping) for a $58USD item (including shipping), heck... I should order one again and do the same complaint strategy!"

These two statements by the OP kind of give off the stench of, let's say, 'greedy opportunist'. Just because the company you ordered from has transformed itself into an incredibly successful online marketplace, doesn't mean that they owe you something when a mistake is made. You knew that it looked like a ridiculously good offer when you first saw it. And kudos for double checking it before you ordered. But by continuing to 'escalate', despite their apologizing and offering a perfectly acceptable remedy, you are the one that comes out looking a bit foolish. Yup, you finally got what you wanted, yet you still felt compelled to post this to PF for some reason.
Maybe if you were harmed in a way that was extremely detrimental to your photography business, causing you to lose clients or future opportunities. Then I would expect an angry CS encounter. But it doesn't sound like that was the case.

I am disabled, and have come to use Amazon and other online businesses, simply because it makes my life a little easier. And I've got to say, despite how humongous Amazon has gotten, I am constantly amazed at how efficiently they get the job done right. When something has gone wrong with an order, they have yet to fail at getting it fixed.

the general idea was that, since it was Amazon ( a huge corporate entity) and not a local shop, it was ok to act in this manner...

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 01-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.
01-21-2019, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it’s a bit rich for people to start impugning character on the basis of an assumption of intent.

01-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #35
bxf
Veteran Member

I normally take the approach that a seller is not obliged to meet a price that was advertised in error, and I view people who insist on getting the erroneous price as trying to take advantage. However, the fact that the OP confirmed the details before he made the purchase yields strength to his argument.

In this case, a refund would not compensate me for the time I spent making the purchase decision and the confirmation phone call, nor the effort involved in arranging for the refund. In some cases, there could even be a matter of losses due to currency exchange if the item was paid using foreign currency and then refunded.
01-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote

'Foolish'? Really? A fool orders hoping it's true, someone who checks before hand, gets email transcripts, screengrabs the offer is anything but foolish imo. I wanted to arm myself with proof should they turn around and try and wriggle out, hardly foolish.

Two reasons to post on General Chat on PF;

1) To entertain and educate, it seems a few users here saw the post as intended, informative and amusing.
2) To highlight that there also seems to be a problem with at least Amazon and their level 1 CSR staff. Whatever they are privy to seeing is similar to the customer, and even when they ask you to hold whilst they confirm it's still not worth anything.It seems they want money first and would rather 'sort things out after' if a mistake has occurred rather than thoroughly checking.

This post has been interesting. I've enjoyed hearing the different stances people have made, some rising up to defend Amazon, some giving me a pat on the back to staying firm and not being unduly ripped off.

There was a post recently where Adorama was selling Lensbaby lenses for the K mount at a wickedly great price, a saving of $300 or more! A few of us jumped on it, and one other user even went on eBay to seek an additional part for the lens required. Well... it was a pricing error and no one got their lens, no transaction took place because Adorama do not take the money till the item is shipped, but still it's lucky the guy managed to contact the eBay seller he ordered the additional part from and cancel that sale...
What leaves a bad taste with regards to Adorama is they didn't even email people quick enough to let them know the order was cancelled... tut tut..

So yeah, it seems big retailers are enjoying pricing errors of late and offering little in terms of appropriate compensation.
01-22-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's really awesome is how long it's been and the listing is still showing "2 pack".

Not correcting this after a complaint is moving them into the next phase of incompetence or deception (reader's choice).

01-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These things take time

Not correcting this after a complaint is moving them into the next phase of incompetence or deception (reader's choice).

Clearly you've never worked for a large corporation or other organization!

Chris
01-23-2019, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

On the subject of Amazon, it's tentacles are everywhere nowadays, esp in the USA.

https://gizmodo.com/i-tried-to-block-amazon-from-my-life-it-was-impossible-1830565336?IR=T

So watch out Bruce. You will probably have to deal with Amazon CSR many times again in future.
01-23-2019, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Unregistered User

"We're sorry you feel that way, Mr. Consumer, but if you really want to get the relief you sought, I'm afraid the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you subscribed to amazon.com require you to petition for arbitration three thousand miles away from where you live. If you don't like that, Mr. Consumer, please be assured that you are always welcome to go jump in a lake.

I've left feedback twice on sellers who do bait-and-switch or false-advertising schemes, but Amazon took them down saying they were inappropriate because my real complaint was a perceived deficiency in the product, not a scam by the sellers. Lately I discovered that Amazon apparently charged me for software I never ordered and never received - when I complained about it, they shut down my account. Fine with me. As Gollum said, "We hates it forever."

---------- Post added 2019-01-23 at 09:18 AM ----------

What's really awesome is how long it's been and the listing is still showing "2 pack".

Under my state's consumer protection law, that fact, along with your transcript, constitute proof of an intentional scheme to defraud, good for treble damages (minimum statutory damages = $500, so "intentional" gets you $1500) plus attorneys' fees and costs.
01-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

My experience is Amazon is not same every where. Amazon US is more customer friendly, never had an issue. But Amazon India is not same.