Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

RSS feeds and websites for mobile devices

I noted from the Who R U Thread, that there are a few professional full-time IT people here so, I pose 4U a couple of questions and their subsets.

1. Is there a way one can convert a website for mobile devices? Has anyone any experience with Avantgo and how it works?

2. How does RSS work and how does one create a feed from their website?

Thanks

10-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. When I created mobile site versions, whether manually or using an automated process, I basically removed all the images and made the only contain text, using text links rather than buttons.

2. RSS feeds scale down website news/blog entries or forum posts, etc., generally to a text-only version that can be opened on mobile devices or thorugh a feed reader. Feeds are normally generated by PHP processors- here are some examples:

-http://www.themotec.com (The latest thread link comes from the forum's feed)
-http://www.themotec.com/News.php (Link to feeds and latest threads generated by feeds)
-https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2 (This forum's feed- I've seen Safari format in nicely. It shows the forum's 15 latest threads.)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: