Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #61
Red

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I appreciate that you care about the rest of the World but don't you see that what is best for the US is best for the rest of the World. It has to be otherwise it's going to be all out war.
Best for the rest of the world? Everyone agrees on what is best for the world, like China, UK, Russia, Iran, Israel, Sudan, etc.

09-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #62
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote
Best for the rest of the world? Everyone agrees on what is best for the world, like China, UK, Russia, Iran, Israel, Sudan, etc.

I'm talking about a global point of view, not that of individual countries.
09-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by dhulsmeyer Quote
you could always move to France =). need help packing your stuff?

What is with some American's obsession with France? What the hell did we ever do to you? Is it because we live longer? Have some decent health care? Are not as fat? Because we don't buy BS like "weapons of mass destructions are in IRAQ and Sadam wants to kill us all" (which I guess makes us traitors... or cowards... I don't know, I couldn't figure out that one)? Or is it just because the main stream media wants you to hate us???

I don't know, I just can't figure it out... (though I have a pretty good idea!)

Especially since we are in NATO now! We are nice little puppets just like the brits and the Canadians. Don't worry, if you go to IRAN Sarkozy will follow (Can't wait to see the strikes for that one!). So you can go back to liking us
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #64
Inactive Account

it's not taken as an insult. i just wanted to see what would shake out here. thanks for your input.

09-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #65
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
What is with some American's obsession with France? What the hell did we ever do to you? Is it because we live longer? Have some decent health care? Are not as fat? Because we don't buy BS like "weapons of mass destructions are in IRAQ and Sadam wants to kill us all" (which I guess makes us traitors... or cowards... I don't know, I couldn't figure out that one)? Or is it just because the main stream media wants you to hate us???

Especially since we are in NATO now! We are nice little puppets just like the brits and the Canadians. Don't worry, if you go to IRAN Sarkozy will follow (Can't wait to see the strikes for that one!). So you can go back to liking us
I think it has something to do with the fact that it was actually Frenchmen who were responsible for winning independence for America. Maybe French politicians won't let American politicians forget that.

It's also something that has been perpetuated by the media as well I think as you suggested.

It's funny because my wife and I spent three weeks driving around France seven years ago and pretty much everywhere there was a French flag flying, there was also an American flag flying alongside it.
10-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #66

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I see posts and people who say that they are ashamed to be part of these people or this country.

Whoa - I understand how you could take my comment in general terms, but I meant what I said only in direct regard to the "dhulsmeyer" commentary. I love my country - even with all of it's flaws. I am ashamed of certain aspects - certainly I am ashamed that some (many) people in my country cannot see outside of it's borders ... cannot see how important our elections are to the global community ... don't care about the global repercussions ... and disparages anybody within or without the country that DOES care. I feel shame in the ignorance and insensitivity of those people.

My country is beautiful in so many ways. We've fought hard to be where we are today. We've learnt and grown (the hard way) in many ways. Certainly, we've mis-stepped recently and we'll need strong leadership to put us back on course.
10-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #67
Banned

Only the most gullible and paranoid are drawn to Conspiracy theories.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Very disheartening info to say the least...

News From Underground

Ben

I am amazed that no one paid attention to this original post by Benjamin Kanarek. Why would this Conspiracy nonsense by a "Mark Crispin Miller" be considered as worthy to read? Only the most gullible and paranoid are drawn to Conspiracy theories.

Democratic countries are not at war with one another and the reasons are obvious.

There are 57 oppressive Regimes where Conspiracy to incite hatred towards Americans/Jews reigns supreme. Also, the Russian bear awakes. Should this not be a focus of global attention?

Why would a Canadian living in Paris [Benjamin Kanarek] want as many people as possible to believe in Conspiracy theories and lies against an American Political Party?

10-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote

Trust me, I'm sure your media and people talks a lot more bad about the US government and it's people than the US ever talks about the French.

On the original topic... While I do not believe what most conspiracy theorist write I think it's wise to still read it when you can. It gives you a different perspective and breaks you out from the norm of thinking. Sometimes it may even be right
10-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone bother watching the interview in the OP? The US voters here should also listen to what raz-0 has posted. There was a wonderful documentary about the 2000 election debacle that covered just about everything he's mentioned.

There's only 1 way to run a truly democratic election... 1 citizen gets 1 vote. ALL legal citizens get to vote. Votes are personally completed ballots, in ink. Votes are not counted by politically affiliated personnel. All votes are counted.

It's not rocket science people!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
R U joking? Of course he would. Bush did in 2004!!!!
He did it first in 2000. Bush should never have been President! That he got a 2nd term is completely mind boggling.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
The saying here in Aus: "America catches a cold, we in Aus sneeze"
I thought it was America sneezes, Australia catches a cold

Bruce, I really hope you don't get the mother of all colds in the near future, for all our sakes.
Too late Gary. Aussie stock markets lost billions for no other reason than the bailout got canned! We didn't just get a cold this week... we got pneumonia. One of the old diggers at my Club lost over 5 grand in less than a week from his superannuation funds. I'm scared to ask him what he lost this week And don't get me started on the sub-prime pile o' crap

That's why the leader of the US is so important to the rest of the world. Those who don't understand that just aren't trying hard enough.
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Trust me, I'm sure your media and people talks a lot more bad about the US government and it's people than the US ever talks about the French.
And you know this how?

Being someone who likes my news from many sources, I regularely watch and listen to the news from France (as well as Switzerland, UK, Germany, Russia and the US), and also watch a few variety shows from France and I have *NEVER* seen the kind of hatefull bashing I regularely see from Americans.

If anything I find that when it comes to the US, the French media simply reports the facts, and I find that most French people seem to "worship" America a bit too much.

Pat
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Well, when he was a captive, he did break and sign confessions along the lines that the US illegally invaded Vietnam and that he was a war criminal. I know it was under duress but he still did it and that's not the American way so I'm led to believe.
Gary, McCain was not the only one. Let someone break your shoulder, give you poor to no medical treatment so that the shoulder doesn't heal right and then hogtie you, hands to feet behind your back for hours at a time, day after day. Few people would last very long before doing exactly what they wanted you to do. Plus the rhetoric of those "freely given" prepared statements was so laughable everyone knew they were under duress.

One honorable thing McCain did while a prisoner was refuse a release offered him for propaganda reasons. When the North Vietnamese found out that his father was Commander of the Pacific Fleet, they offered to release him but McCain stuck to the military code of first in, first out refusing to go unless every prisoner captured before him was released. As a result, he endured an additional five years of pain and suffering at the hands of his captors.

Question his politics if you like, but not the man himself.

CW
10-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
And you know this how?

Being someone who likes my news from many sources, I regularely watch and listen to the news from France (as well as Switzerland, UK, Germany, Russia and the US), and also watch a few variety shows from France and I have *NEVER* seen the kind of hatefull bashing I regularely see from Americans.

If anything I find that when it comes to the US, the French media simply reports the facts, and I find that most French people seem to "worship" America a bit too much.

Pat
Well, having family in Paris and a few other cities in France might help. Cousin married a beautiful French girl about 4 years ago and all our families see each other quite a lot.

I think people get it twisted about America... I'm sorry but our news station hardly covers things about other countries for a very long time. I don't see how it's possible you see hateful bashing regularly.

Heading to lunch but the rest of this i'll probably write in pm to you
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
And what did your "research" consist of: did you read Obama's auto-biography and review reports from REAL news sources (AP, Reuters, NY Times)? Or did you just read some venomous lies on one of the many "right of center" Web sites?

And what is "left of center" and why exactly is "left of center" some sort of bad thing? In fact, it was us "left of center" folks that fought banking and securities deregulation back when Reagan wanted to deregulate everything. If the pre-1980 regulations were still in place, we would not have all the junk sub-prime loans, and we would not have banks risking their deposits on leveraged gambling in the stock market. And the current "right of center" administration didn't bother to enforce what few regulations remain. It is an understatement to say that the present financial disaster was caused by the "right of center" laisse faire approach to banking and securities.

To add insult to injury, the "right of center" can't even agree on how to fix the mess they caused. Even "right of center" Treasury Secretary Paulson and his sock puppet President Bush couldn't get more than 1/3 of the Republicans in the House to vote for the Republican bail-out plan. Good job "right of center!" I'll be asking "right of center" to give me a new car loan next year, since they will have driven all the banks out of business by then. Well, there is a fine Republican tradition of this sort of thing, dating back to President Herbert Hoover. No wonder FDR got 90% of the vote!

And please don't bother to respond. I've heard it all before. Just let you attack dog Palin say it for you on Thursday night. That'll be a hoot! (Note: the last comment was NOT a sexist attack. I criticize all gun-toting, Bible-thumping demagogues regardless of gender.)

LIBERAL AND PROUD OF IT

Dictionary:

liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|
adjective
1 open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values : they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people.
• favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms : liberal citizenship laws.
• (in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform : a liberal democratic state.

Theasurus:

liberal
adjective
1 the values of a liberal society tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient. antonym narrow-minded, bigoted.
2 a liberal social agenda progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical. antonym reactionary, conservative.
3 a liberal education wide-ranging, broad-based, general.

Ok, now that this therapy session is over and you are feeling better about yourself and I am sure that you feel better with all of that hot air released, please remit the fee of $500 for this session. Therapy is not cheap you know. And I have to fund my capitalist agenda and not FANNIE OR FREDDIE. Please make check payable to MCCAIN/PALIN Just having some fun GARYML. Sorry to have ruffled the feathers earlier. I look forward to your future posts.....photography related. Have a great day.
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Ok, now that this therapy session is over and you are feeling better about yourself and I am sure that you feel better with all of that hot air released, please remit the fee of $500 for this session. Therapy is not cheap you know. And I have to fund my capitalist agenda and not FANNIE OR FREDDIE. Please make check payable to MCCAIN/PALIN Just having some fun GARYML. Sorry to have ruffled the feathers earlier. I look forward to your future posts.....photography related. Have a great day.
No problem. I do feel better. I'll send off a check as soon as the Fed buys up this bad debt I'm carrying.
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #75
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Gary, McCain was not the only one. Let someone break your shoulder, give you poor to no medical treatment so that the shoulder doesn't heal right and then hogtie you, hands to feet behind your back for hours at a time, day after day. Few people would last very long before doing exactly what they wanted you to do. Plus the rhetoric of those "freely given" prepared statements was so laughable everyone knew they were under duress.

One honorable thing McCain did while a prisoner was refuse a release offered him for propaganda reasons. When the North Vietnamese found out that his father was Commander of the Pacific Fleet, they offered to release him but McCain stuck to the military code of first in, first out refusing to go unless every prisoner captured before him was released. As a result, he endured an additional five years of pain and suffering at the hands of his captors.

Question his politics if you like, but not the man himself.

CW
CW, please note that I included this sentence; 'I know it was under duress but he still did it and that's not the American way so I'm led to believe.' I never questioned the man himself but don't you think that if he was a Democrat, the Republicans would have been all over that like a rash and it would have been another 'Swift Boat' attack.
As far as him insisting that the other guy goes first, yes, I agree that was honourable but if he hadn't done that, probably he wouldn't be running for President now.

One other point, ever see the 'Manchurian Candidate', the VC could have done an awful lot of f@#$%^& around with his mind in those five years. I'm not saying that happened, but who knows?
Closed Thread