Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
City of God (2002). I haven't actually watched it yet, but it is highly-regarded. I think it is on available Netflix currently. (It is about two kids in a Brazilian slum -- one friend becomes a photographer, the other a gangster.)
I watched that one, it must have been OK because we watched to the end. That's a major endorsement with netflix material.

02-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
is a 2010 Canadian-South African biographical drama film. The Bang Bang Club was a group of four conflict photographers, Kevin Carter, Greg .Marinovich, Ken Oosterbroek, and Joćo Silva.
from the film description: This is an amazing and sometimes terrifying story of people and their incredible feat, which they went to get the cherished photos.
I want to see this movie...
what do you think about this movie? Has anyone looked?

Last edited by Martin Stu; 02-05-2019 at 08:12 AM.
02-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I watched that one, it must have been OK because we watched to the end. That's a major endorsement with netflix material.
As I recall, it won several awards when it was released. According to IMDB, it grossed over US$32M worldwide, with a filming budget of just US$3.3M...
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's not a feature film, but worth a mention if you want something hilarious to watch - Midsummer Murders "Picture of Innocence", Season 10 Episode 6, 2007. This one features some great film vs digital rivalries as well as a couple great photo projects and the usual cast of insanely one-dimensional lunatics you'll be used to if you've ever watched the series.
Midsomer Murders...in the early episodes the police photographer used a Pentax 6 X 7 camera to take pictures of crime scenes and of course being Midsomer Murders...the crimes were always murders.

02-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Just watched it and felt that it was a bit mocking about one of the great photgraphers of our time, making him out to be an out-of-date old dinosaur. It was fascinating to watch the great man at work though.
Interesting, Dave... I just watched my recording of it this evening. I see where you're coming from... but I also think it depicted a gentleman of a certain age who, in his later years, is still able to nail it. Some of the shots he took were quite outstanding - especially those of the hunt, IMHO...
02-05-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a *good* film. And it's definitely photography related.

Poor old Robin. Such a talented chap...
Yeah, people thought, 'Gee, Mork did a great job in Good Will Hunting, who'd a thunk it?', but he went to Julliard with Mandy Patinkin and William Hurt.

02-05-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Midsomer Murders...in the early episodes the police photographer used a Pentax 6 X 7 camera to take pictures of crime scenes and of course being Midsomer Murders...the crimes were always murders.
Oxford seems to be a deadlier place than DC or Bogota!

02-05-2019, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, people thought, 'Gee, Mork did a great job in Good Will Hunting, who'd a thunk it?', but he went to Julliard with Mandy Patinkin and William Hurt.
He was very good in Awakenings, also).
02-05-2019, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He was very good in Awakenings, also).
Sure was, and was great as the villain in 'Insomnia'.

02-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #40
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
The Bang Bang Club Trailer HD - YouTube is a 2010 Canadian-South African biographical drama film. The Bang Bang Club was a group of four conflict photographers, Kevin Carter, Greg .Marinovich, Ken Oosterbroek, and Joćo Silva.
from the film description: This is an amazing and sometimes terrifying story of people and their incredible feat, which they went to get the cherished photos.
I want to see this movie...
what do you think about this movie? Has anyone looked?
I watched this back when it was released and I think it's a very good and interesting film both as for showing a very dramatic period of South Africa's history and for bringing up the situation for photographers and reporters and the role they (should or shouldn't) play in conflicts.

I'm perhaps more interested than most in the history of South Africa, but I think it well worth watching. Thanks for reminding me - I should look it up again.
02-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
savoche, hi! I recently watched a movie. I like it. The film is interesting, but difficult. Now I look at the work of the hotspots photographers with different eyes. When I watched the movie, I recognized the actor, Taylor Kitsch. In this film, he wonderfully played the role of photographer Kevin Carter.
I had previously seen him in the "Waco" mini-series (2018). In this series, he remarkably played the role of a charismatic preacher.

I remembered another film - "Roman Holiday" (1953). The main characters of the film are the journalist (Gregory Peck), his friend-photographer (Eddie Albert) and, of course, the beautiful princess (Audrey Hepburn). For a newspaper sensation, a journalist and a photographer secretly take pictures of a beautiful princess who ran away, and what came of it. A film in the genre of comedy, melodrama.

Last edited by Martin Stu; 01-28-2021 at 08:52 AM.
04-01-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"ONE HOUR PHOTO" - Parrish (Robin Williams) has lovingly, painstakingly developed photographs for the Yorkin family since their son was a baby. But as the Yorkins' lives become fuller, Sy's only seems lonelier, until he eventually convinces himself he's part of their family. When Sy discovers the family's dark secret, a bizarre and thrilling confrontation ensues.
a wonderful, diverse actor is known for his films: Jumanji, the Society of Dead Poets, August Rush and others.
It is a pity that he is not there now

Last edited by Martin Stu; 01-28-2021 at 09:12 AM.
04-01-2019, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #43
jtk

There's not a lot of photography in it, but I'll mention it anyway: The Midnight Meat Train (2008). Bradley Cooper has a Leica in it.

Wikipedia: "The Midnight Meat Train is a 2008 horror film based on Clive Barker's 1984 short story of the same name, which can be found in Volume One of Barker's collection Books of Blood. The film follows a photographer who attempts to track down a serial killer dubbed the "Subway Butcher", and discovers more than he bargained for under the city streets."
Attached Images

05-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oldish thread, but no apologies for nominating "The Bridges of Madison County" which seem to have been overlooked. A middle-aged Clint Eastwood, as a National Geographic photographer on an assignment, has a brief affair with a local housewife played by Meryl Streep. Features a Nikon F2. A brilliant, poignant film, about life's choices. A classic IMHO, alongside the similarly themed "Brief Encounter" which was perhaps part of the inspiration.
05-23-2019, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
In Full Metal Jacket, a Stanley Kubrick film, the characters Joker (Matthew Modine) and Rafterman (Kevyn Major Howard) are war corrrespondents for Stars And Stripes in Vietnam.

Lots of film camera work.

In one scene Joker and Rafterman are sitting at a table in a sidewalk cafe in Saigon, a hooker is trying to get some business from them, and a Vietnamese thug steals a camera, tosses it to another guy on a motorcycle, who rides away with it.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.