Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any 'All-new Kindle PaperWhite' owners here?

I'm kinda researching tablets. I'm actually interested in some of the All-new Kindle Paperwhite features at the price point. 6 inch 300 PPI, that's kinda cool, has anyone thrown some high res Jpgs at it from their photography work they do? Even though you lose colour... what do the images look like? Seems quite hard to find any examples of the tablet. A few articles show comic reading etc, I'm just curious to see what images look like. 300PPI is nothing to sneeze at!

TIA!

Bruce

02-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an original Kindle PaperWhite.
It is not a general purpose tablet, it is a e-reader. On those books that have images in them, they are pretty grainy. (f.64 group book with images by Weston, Cunningham, Adams and others) I could not recommend it as a photo viewer due to the e-ink's relatively low bit depth.
02-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have an original Kindle PaperWhite.
It is not a general purpose tablet, it is a e-reader. On those books that have images in them, they are pretty grainy. (f.64 group book with images by Weston, Cunningham, Adams and others) I could not recommend it as a photo viewer due to the e-ink's relatively low bit depth.
I think perhaps the original Paperwhite is perhaps lower PPI, the newer one is actually 300, pretty sharp.

I'm aware that the generic kindle (and not Kindle Fire HD) is not a general purpose tablet, but for $200AUD it has some unique selling points, such as waterproofing etc. I'm just curious to see how colour and monochrome images render is all.
02-15-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

I am referring to bit depth, the total number of grey tones available, in the e-ink - not PPI.

You can have 10K PPI but with a bit depth of 4 (for example) the images will be difficult to appreciate as they would contain only 16 shades from what would pass as black to white. When looking at Weston's "Pepper No. 30" on my Kindle it is not all that great due to the low bit depth. Although I have to admit that I have seen a copy of the original image close up, no computer screen is going to match the silver image.

02-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I am referring to bit depth, the total number of grey tones available, in the e-ink - not PPI.

You can have 10K PPI but with a bit depth of 4 (for example) the images will be difficult to appreciate as they would contain only 16 shades from what would pass as black to white. When looking at Weston's "Pepper No. 30" on my Kindle it is not all that great due to the low bit depth. Although I have to admit that I have seen a copy of the original image close up, no computer screen is going to match the silver image.
I'm finding the bit depth info hard to find, anyone know that bit-depth the All-new Paperwhite Kindle has?
02-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Check this out:
Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018) – full specs, feature round-up, comparisons