Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got lucky when I switched from Mac to PC, the majority of my software I used was Adobe and they gave me a deal. I could get the Windows versions for nearly nothing if I gave the Mac versions to the college via a swap deal, with paper work included. Adobe sent me the paper work, my college professor and I signed the agreement, I faxed the agreement to Adobe, they then sent me the Windows version of the software for less than what I would have paid retail, a lot less. My professor was happy, and I was happy, a win win situation, eh?

03-04-2019, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The biggest mistake ever, not making sure your favourite software works. I've actually (having worked six months in computer sales) met people who didn't realize a new OS means all new software. There are dual versions of much software, but my guess is there's still a lot that is only available on one platform. And, in some cases, you may have the Window's version, but there is no guarantee what will get you out of paying for the Mac version even if it is available cross platform.

But with so much software coming on the computers these days, it's much more manageable that it was.
Absolutely right. When I changed from Windows XP and Linux to MacOS in 2008 I was missing one or two important apps on the Mac. But I installed VM Ware Fusion with a Win XP image and so it was ok.

Today everything I need is available on MacOS so I'm not using MS Windows at home anymore. Did software development on Windows and UNIX for years and in the late 1980s on an Atari Mega ST. Latter was the cheap version of Apple Macs for students. - I never liked Windows and so I would never go back to Windows at home, though in my job I it's the standard - unfortunately.
03-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You all do know where the Windows we know on our PCs actually came from right? Steve Jobs and Bill Gates made a deal, and, viola, PCs got to share of Windows. Happened in 1995. Look it up. You'll see.
03-04-2019, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You all do know where the Windows we know on our PCs actually came from right? Steve Jobs and Bill Gates made a deal, and, viola, PCs got to share of Windows. Happened in 1995. Look it up. You'll see.
According to Bill Gates, they both stole it from PARC.
I'm not sure about a deal, there was a 150 million dollar lawsuit which Apple won, because as Bill Gates pointed out, Steve stole it first, but Apple exchanged the settlement in return for Windows continuing to make office for the Mac, without which Apple almost certainly would have died.

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.
03-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

According to Bill Gates, they both stole it from PARC.
I'm not sure about a deal, there was a 150 million dollar lawsuit which Apple won, because as Bill Gates pointed out, Steve stole it first, but Apple exchanged the settlement in return for Windows continuing to make office for the Mac, without which Apple almost certainly would l have died.
The information I got was the public knowledge so it all probably should have been taken like a grain of salt. That's the info that was circulating around the Journalism department at the time, circa 1995.
03-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used both systems for many years but for personal use prefer the Mac, Windows is just too clunky. Today you can buy a Mac refurb at a pricepoint near or even less than a comparable new Windows machine. All my Apple stuff are refurbs. Never had a problem
03-04-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Corporate IT workers like Windows networking because it keeps them in a job. Mac networking is so easy............... "A caveman can do it." (Thanks to GEICO fo that quote.)

03-04-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The information I got was the public knowledge so it all probably should have been taken like a grain of salt. That's the info that was circulating around the Journalism department at the time, circa 1995.
In the long run, the final conclusion , at least in my mind, is both Jobs and Gates were determined to make computers useful devices for the common man, and neither was willing to let strict legal interpretations of the law get in the way. They took what they needed one way or the other, you either sold them what they wanted or they took it and dragged you out in court for years. As much as it sounds disgusting, that's what it took to get us where we are today. The law and progress do not always go hand in hand.

The less aggressive companies have all fallen by the wayside. Although Atari and Commodore (Ohio Scientific, Radio Shack and a host of others) were every bit as aggressive, just not as smart about where they directed their aggression.

Back in the day, it would have been interesting to sit in on some of the meetings, where Microsoft or Apple were weighing the cost of a possible legal settlement against them, compared to the corporate advantage to be gained stealing someone else's proprietary hardware or software. They've both been sued so many times I've lost track.

Having talked to start ups bought out by both, you were offered for your ingenuity what Microsoft or Apple thought you might get as settlement if they just took it, and you sued. One guy I know got 3 million from Microsoft, for a very good idea. From his perspective, he had to weigh the possibility of running out of money before the suit was resolved and ending up with nothing. That did happen in numerous cases to those too stubborn to sell. And Microsoft actually said to him, 'This is an idea we can use, and we are going to incorporate it into Windows, one way or the other."

You're not going to make a choice on these two corporations by trying to determine one is more ethical or moral than the other. Any such research will probably leave you appalled at both. At least Bill can say it was all Balmer's fault. And Apple can say "well Steve doesn't work here anymore."

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
03-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

I use both the mac and PC operating systems. What it ultimately comes down to is preference of the OS itself. If you're a long time windows user then mac can take a little bit of getting used to, especially if you want to become a power user. I myself love features such as spotlight for mac, and the software availability is more than enough for my needs on the go (I modified my lenovo laptop to run mac for Final Cut specifically).

However software availability can still be a big hurdle for mac. Sometimes finding an analog that suits your needs is difficult or impossible. Windows has had the distinct advantage of being more easily attained by more people.

The elephant in the room however is the cost of entry to something like mac os, because unless you know your way around modifing regular computers to run it then your barrier to entry can be quite expensive. The cheapest desktop option for getting into MacOS is the mac mini, and 800-1000+ dollars it just isn't a reasonable start for someone just looking to test the waters of an OS. Price to performance of raw specs will almost always go to windows. You're ultimately paying for quality materials, presentation and a tailored user experience when you buy a mac.
03-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I use both the mac and PC operating systems. What it ultimately comes down to is preference of the OS itself. If you're a long time windows user then mac can take a little bit of getting used to, especially if you want to become a power user. I myself love features such as spotlight for mac, and the software availability is more than enough for my needs on the go (I modified my lenovo laptop to run mac for Final Cut specifically).

However software availability can still be a big hurdle for mac. Sometimes finding an analog that suits your needs is difficult or impossible. Windows has had the distinct advantage of being more easily attained by more people.

The elephant in the room however is the cost of entry to something like mac os, because unless you know your way around modifing regular computers to run it then your barrier to entry can be quite expensive. The cheapest desktop option for getting into MacOS is the mac mini, and 800-1000+ dollars it just isn't a reasonable start for someone just looking to test the waters of an OS. Price to performance of raw specs will almost always go to windows. You're ultimately paying for quality materials, presentation and a tailored user experience when you buy a mac.
I was doing some work on old files today on a 2008 MacBook you can look at it as 800 entry, in this case It's 1000 entry for a basic macBook, I've had to for 10 years now. That's $100 a year. Whether or not it's expensive depends on how you look at it. Money now or money later, but certainly not more expensive by some accounting methods.
03-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I was doing some work on old files today on a 2008 MacBook you can look at it as 800 entry, in this case It's 1000 entry for a basic macBook, I've had to for 10 years now. That's $100 a year. Whether or not it's expensive depends on how you look at it. Money now or money later, but certainly not more expensive by some accounting methods.
This comes down to user needs. Upgrade cycles on equipment can be short or long, and I think 10 years for a laptop (especially one from 2008) is outside of the norm. But even then you'd still have spent less money on another piece of hardware, for example there's no way you could get even a used macbook with a 4 core 8 thread workstation cpu like my Lenovo thinkpad for the price I paid.

Though Apple has been incredibly competitive in the ultrabook market, especially with the release of the new macbook air. So it's not always so clear cut, and again depends on your needs.
03-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The less aggressive companies have all fallen by the wayside. Although Atari and Commodore
Funny you should mention Commodore, I started in computers with a Commodore 64. But my next computer was an Apple, something or other, then I bought a faster one, and it didn't work, I fixed it, took it back to the store I bought it from and told them that when I got it home it didn't work, but now it does because I fixed it, I would like to trade this fixed Apple computer for that Apple PowerPC 1110CD. They wouldn't do a full trade but I got a discount for fixing the other one. Still an Apple, not branded as Mac at that time. I know it's the same thing but they still at that time didn't call them Macs.
03-04-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #73

PC for me. First one was an XT model way back in the late 80's. Built PC's for the office from 1993 to 2001. Eventually went to consumer laptops then to business laptops and then to small business workstations. The entire office is now on small business based workstations & laptops. The difference being that the parts selections for business machines are more controlled & that drivers are more stable. Software upgrades tend to be smoother & trouble free without poorly written driver(s) updates screwing stuff up.

Why workstations?, we run AutoCad, Revit, 3DMax & other rendering software all on Windows 10 Professional 64bit. I've given up the IT duties a few years ago after we went past 20 machines. My latest project is to replace my (2) 2TB HDs in my laptop to (2) 4TB SSDs. Will happen this week if I have time otherwise will do so next week when I am at home recovering from some planned surgery.
03-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #74
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Corporate IT workers like Windows networking because it keeps them in a job. Mac networking is so easy............... "A caveman can do it." (Thanks to GEICO fo that quote.)
Cool. What do you find makes it easier in OSX than it is in Windows 10?
03-04-2019, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Cool. What do you find makes it easier in OSX than it is in Windows 10?
I am curious also. W10 Pro just works and is even easier to set up than 7 was.
Closed Thread