Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What is better...... Apple or PC ?

I'm not a computer expert. I just want my computer to work well, consistently and to be easily understood for an absolute computer maroon (Bugs Bunny terminology) such as myself. My basic computer skills are not going to improve, due to lack of interest/ability on my part.

We have had PC machines for a very long time. The computers themselves have been generally fine as far as I can determine , but it seems to be the software, programming, whatever the term might be... that every so often, particularly when there is an automatic 'update' seems to result in poor performance, speed, etc.

My blood runs cold when I switch on the computer and see there has been an update over night. When we check on the internet we find that others say well computer PC programming... are glitchy, search engines are not great, freezing, hanging...sometimes the program becomes immobilized, etc. and it also affects the email programming.

My question is an Apple computer and Apple programming any better...or is it a fact of modern life that this is just the way things are and I need to buck up and accept that computers are going to operate in such a way ?

Crabby about computers,

Les

03-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm not a computer expert. I just want my computer to work well, consistently and to be easily understood for an absolute computer maroon (Bugs Bunny terminology) such as myself. My basic computer skills are not going to improve, due to lack of interest/ability on my part.

We have had PC machines for a very long time. The computers themselves have been generally fine as far as I can determine , but it seems to be the software, programming, whatever the term might be... that every so often, particularly when there is an automatic 'update' seems to result in poor performance, speed, etc.

My blood runs cold when I switch on the computer and see there has been an update over night. When we check on the internet we find that others say well computer PC programming... are glitchy, search engines are not great, freezing, hanging...sometimes the program becomes immobilized, etc. and it also affects the email programming.

My question is an Apple computer and Apple programming any better...or is it a fact of modern life that this is just the way things are and I need to buck up and accept that computers are going to operate in such a way ?

Crabby about computers,

Les
IN most cases, what you're used to is better than switching, but, it sounds like in your case you might prefer Apple as you really haven't become a Windows expert, the problem being, Apple machines are expensive so it would cost you a lot to find out. In general Apple's business model is tailored to people like you, people who don't want to "do it themselves" and don't have extensive needs. But if it doesn't do what you want out of the box then the simplicity may be a detriment, in that it may be a lot more effort to get it to do what you want.

When I worked in the industry we used to say, buy an Apple if you can afford it. if you can't buy a PC.
03-02-2019, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Well, this should be a lively thread
Norm makes some good points - imo, Apple seems to work better out of the box, and for those not interested in the nuts and bolts/maintenance of the operating system. Myself, I've been Windows-free since 2005, and been happily running Linux Mint for many years. By the way, last time I checked, you could disable those annoying automatic updates. Not sure about the latest Win versions. Good luck!
03-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

I switched to a Mac Mini the last time WinXP rendered a HDD unreadable/unrecoverable and have been quite happy ever since....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 03-02-2019 at 02:10 PM.
03-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No expert here but I'm on my fifth PC, started in 1993 I think. It was Windows 3.0 back then I if I remember correctly. I pick PC mainly because of the price. I just bought a Dell with windows 10 Pro and love it now after a few weeks. If you have Windows 10 Pro you can delay the updates which I have done. From what I've read you eventually will have to do them. Not for sure on this but you can't do that in Windows 10 Home. Can't help with Apple, never used it. It would be nice if you could get your hands on one just to try it out though.
03-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
No expert here but I'm on my fifth PC, started in 1993 I think.
My 1994 Power Mac 6100 was overclocked, making it one of the fastest PCs on the planet at the time, and it ran for 17 years until 2001. Of course near the end it was pretty much a word processor, although it did run Photoshop 2.0 if you had time. Ah the good old days.
03-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is better...... Apple or PC ?
Do you realize how many times that question has been asked and how many times, the Apple vs. Windows users still don't agree which is better. It's what you're used to is which is better for you.

I was a MacAddict for 7 years, then I switched to PC and never looked back. PCs work for me. And I build my own, so I know what parts go in them, they're quality parts too, not junk you get from off the shelf computers. No offense, Dell, HP, Compaq, or Lenovo, but...you know. That's just my two cents.
03-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

At the end of the day they are essentially equal performers, but Apple might be better for pure graphics work such as we do. Most mainstream software runs on either platform equally well.
I've been a WinDos user since the 80's both personally and business, so I'm still fairly comfortable creating a work order to build a PC from say HP or Dell. I know I don't control the motherboard, but I can substitute almost every other component - even the power supply.

I can set up a new Windows PC in an afternoon. The system is logical to me because it is familiar,

I don't like going into a computer store and dealing with salesmen who want to start me with an Acer base machine or another brand I don't know well, then start up-selling clock speeds and video cards and drives and RAM that I don't think I need. I also don't like to buy a machine in a box that someone else decided is configured the way I need it.

For a long time I had IBM desktops, then Lenovo 'Road Warrior' laptops. Now I have a powerful Dell Tower PC at home and the firm supplies me a HP laptop as my workstation. I have to tote it home to work at home rather than accessing the work servers from my home PC.

OTOH, every other computing device I own and the entire rest of my family owns is an iOS Apple machine. Phones, Tablets, Laptops, cables, chargers, CarPlay - its all Apple.

PC running Windows is better for me because I am so accustomed to the Operating System logic and basic commands and utilities. If I was starting fresh today and business interface didn't matter I would start iOS Apple and learn their system.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
03-02-2019, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I was a MacAddict for 7 years, then I switched to PC and never looked back. PCs work for me. And I build my own, so I know what parts go in them, they're quality parts too, not junk you get from off the shelf computers. No offense, Dell, HP, Compaq, or Lenovo, but...you know. That's just my two cents.
My step-son is the same. He builds gaming machines. I suspect most people with that kind of expertise prefer PCs. However, I know the COO of a major corporation dealing in computer networking and he got tired of everyone in his family phoning him for computer advice and maintenance tips. He bought everyone Apples, 13 of them, and uses one himself. It's all about how you want to spend your time.
03-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
mee
Pentaxian

You have to know this is one of the biggest US vs THEM battles online. What a can of worms.. haha..

I will say Apple computers today are essentially IBM PC clones hardware wise. The bigger difference is the Operating System and the marketing. Apple are masters at making people think pixie dust is real. Thus you cough up a ton of cash for essentially a Windows PC but running OSX.

They use the same Intel processors and the same AMD graphics cards (edit: it is specialty for apple but performance wise are only mid level for pc -- my 3 year old GTX 950 card has the same performance as the D500 in the highest end mac pro) thus there is no difference in the graphics performance between Apple vs Windows PC.

There ARE some software only on OSX and some only on Windows.. but the bulk of the big names are on both.

I think computers are just specialty items that have been mass marketed to the every man. But if you're not willing to learn a little how they function underneath, you're probably going to have frustration and troubles.

A lot like owning a classic car. You better know how to and want to wrench on it, or have deep pockets to pay someone else to wrench on it. Because it is a specialty item and requires specialty skills. It isn't a toaster or a television where you just plug it into the wall socket and make use.

That said, I cannot recall a time I've had an automatic update slow down any of my computers.. I'm going to hazard a guess that either your hardware is dated or there is a lot of junk on the computer slowing it down...

Over the decades, I've looked at a lot of people computers that needed help.. usually to find spyware browser toolbars, malware, virus infections, hard drive full, or them trying to run software on budget dollar ancient hardware. Sorry 2 GB of ram is not enough.. it will boot and function slowly into apple osx on that just as it will on Windows.

The one nice thing about apple is for the astronomic pricing, you're getting a set of hardware guaranteed to function with the OS well. There aren't any 300 dollar walmart junkboxes in their lineup.

Last edited by mee; 03-02-2019 at 04:09 PM.
03-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Crabby about computers,

Les
IMO it boils down to your personal preference. All operating systems are very stable these days, and premium hardware (if desired) is available regardless of OS. Macs have some nice unique features (such as iMessage), but have worse software compatibility, generally speaking. Regardless of which you choose, it's impossible to rule out the possibility of occasional glitches, especially when running custom software. Following best practices, such as frequently taking backups, can help minimize any disruption in case of unexpected problems.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2019, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #12
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Well, this should be a lively thread
Norm makes some good points - imo, Apple seems to work better out of the box, and for those not interested in the nuts and bolts/maintenance of the operating system. Myself, I've been Windows-free since 2005, and been happily running Linux Mint for many years. By the way, last time I checked, you could disable those annoying automatic updates. Not sure about the latest Win versions. Good luck!
It can still be done but Win10 makes it a lot harder - and it pokes you if you don't let it have its way with your machine.
03-02-2019, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crabby about computers,

Les
From my very true experience with both systems over the past several years:
Stick with what you have if it does the job.
Changing (switching) O/S is a nightmare.
03-02-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've never had a problem with PCs. I'm told Mac's are better, but I think they are more expensive by a chunk.
I've never had an off the shelf PC, I've always had custom builds.
03-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I had used Windows for years. When my last PC was getting long in the tooth and Windows 10 was coming out, I decided to buy a Mac Mini and try it for a while. I was previously using Windows 7 and I was going to have to get used to a new OS anyhow. It was pretty painless switching. So far, I'm completely satisfied. The Mac seems to have far fewer issues and the updates aren't forced on you. That said, I am up to date but it's nice to be able to wait a couple of weeks to avoid problems.

I use an iPhone and iPad and there are some real advantages to having a Mac if you prefer those products. All that said, there are still PC's in the house. My wife has a fairly new HP laptop that she loves. In reality, I should probably say I haven't completely switched to a Mac as our household has both but I rarely use the PC. IMO I think Lightroom runs better on the Mac but maybe that's just because I use the Mac so much, I'm more accustomed to it.
Closed Thread