Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photo sharing/selling options (esp. Canada friendly)

So I still haven't set up web based file sharing (well, except for a test Zoomr account, but too lumpy to go with it for real, I think; see Photos from David Whiteley | Zooomr Photo Sharing if you're curious).

I thought I had an answer with Smugmug, and specifically the Pro account. While I'd initially thought just sharing for free/cheap, I'm willing to pay esp. for combo of nicer site + chance to sell photos (I'm no pro and don't expect profit, but recovering some cost of sharing would be nice).

The one drawback that all host sites I've found is that they're all US based. So if I have friends, family or heck clients in Canada, they'd have to buy prints from US and have them shipped internationally.

Can anyone tell me if there's a Smugmug-esque site that's more Canuck friendly?

Here are the things that draw me to Smugmug Pro account:
-unlimited capacity
-attractive & customizable displaying/sorting/geotagging options (not Zoomr!!)
-full size images available IF I allow it, case by case BUT
-size capping and watermarking available where I want to protect my ownership
-printing available
-selling of prints where portion of $$ goes to me (NOT Flickr/Panoramio--unless I'm totally blind?)
-selling of digital rights, ditto
-ability to link from other sites to photos stored on this site (I think smugmug has this--otherwise I could keep my Zoomr account for this)

BESIDES THE CANADIAN PRINTING ISSUE, I'D ALSO WELCOME THOUGHTS ABOUT SMUGMUG VERSUS OTHER SALES-ENABLED PHOTO SHARING SITES. I can see that I may have to either abandon the Canadian angle or get a separate setup to facilitate making prints available to my fellow Canucks.

10-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wish I could help - good luck.
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

zenfolio.com looked interesting; not sure about printing options though.
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Banned

RedBubble - Art Gallery and Creative Community

10-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can try a hosting company like 4goodhosting.com (Canadian) with web building and e-commerce support. Album software can be found or gotten relatively cheap. This way other than site hosting, you have full control of your site.
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for feedback so far. Keep it coming, as I still haven't figured out the magic bullet (if it's one of these, I'm missing it). Probably doesn't exist, but here's hoping.

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
zenfolio.com looked interesting; not sure about printing options though.
Indeed it does. It's "fulfilment parnter" approach to printing has the potential to be Canadian-friendly, but as far as I can make out currently still relies on US-only printing with a slow and expensive ($15+) Canadian shipping option. It's forum has Canadian event shooters begging for another option, but from what I saw this doesn't sound forthcoming. So close!

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Someone had recommended RedBubble before: was it you? Sorry, foggy memory. It does look like a fun community, but not quite what I'm after. Also, while they have a "Shop in Canadian dollars" option, I get the impression shipping is from States, and speed & cost will reflect that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
You can try a hosting company like 4goodhosting.com (Canadian) with web building and e-commerce support. Album software can be found or gotten relatively cheap. This way other than site hosting, you have full control of your site.
Point taken. But given that I'm staggeringly lazy I don't envision making this happen. The main problem wit Smugmug & Zenfolio being printing in the States, this option would leave me on my own to find a workaround for that for my own site...unless you have one?