Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help Identifying coins.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Picked this up today. Seller had no information about it for me.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 03-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.
03-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Help Identifying gold coin.
What is its date of issue and denomination?
03-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like a low quality facsimile (i.e. replica) of a Saint-Gaudens $20 gold coin. I say facsimile, because the detailing doesn't look as crisp as the real thing, and it should be marked "TWENTY DOLLARS" on the side with the eagle... Without a denomination, it wasn't legal currency.

I guess there's a slim chance it's real, but I strongly suspect not. And if it's not, it could be made out of plated metal or even plastic (though it might be gold)...
03-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It looks like a low quality facsimile (i.e. replica) of a Saint-Gaudens $20 gold coin. I say facsimile, because the detailing doesn't look as crisp as the real thing, and it should be marked "TWENTY DOLLARS" on the side with the eagle... Without a denomination, it wasn't legal currency.

I guess there's a slim chance it's real, but I strongly suspect not. And if it's not, it could be made out of plated metal or even plastic...
I'm pretty sure that it is real gold. Doesn't look plated. I couldn't get a very sharp photo on my phone. Doesn't stick to a magnet either. Here's some more photos.

03-24-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, it's a miniature novelty replica Saint-Gaudens, gold plated. Value is anything from a couple of dollars to maybe ten... You can find them on eBay...
03-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a very overpriced one ...

Miniature US Twenty-Dollar "Golden" Coin 24K Plated | eBay
03-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, it's a miniature novelty replica Saint-Gaudens, gold plated. Value is anything from a couple of dollars to maybe ten... You can find them on eBay...
Thanks for the help. Luckily I didn't pay much. I'll be ordering my Canada 1/10 oz Gold Maple Leaf from Apmex soon.🙂

03-24-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The real thing is much bigger, and depending on the year of minting and condition, can be worth anything from $1,400 to $12,000. Apparently, it's highly sought after.
03-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow!😯

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 03:38 PM ----------

The real thing is much bigger, and depending on the year of minting and condition, can be worth anything from $1,400 to $12,000. Apparently, it's highly sought after.
I have more coins that you could probably help me with. Also are these silver troy ounces worth collecting? I kind of like them

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 03:43 PM ----------

Here's a coin that I can't find on Ebay. I wonder what it is worth?

03-24-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have more coins that you could probably help me with.
I know nothing about coins

When I saw yours, I searched on Google for "american gold coin liberty eagle", then looked at the images returned and scrolled through them until I found one that looked like it... Found out that it was a twenty dollar Saint-Gaudens coin... but noted how much crisper all the details were compared to yours, which made me think it was probably a replica. Then, your second lot of photos showed the size and weight, which are much smaller than the real thing...

Also are these silver troy ounces worth collecting? I kind of like them
Given the mass production, I don't believe they'll be collectable as such. Rather, they'll have a value calculated by multiplying the weight by the current price for that metal...

As for your other coin, use whatever details are on the coin and the sleeve to search Google. Start with "constantinople coin" and add more details as required, then scroll through the image results. My guess is, you'll find it eventually, with a bit of research
03-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Further to the above, be careful when buying those Scottsdale Silver bars. Apparently, there are fakes doing the rounds on eBay...

Fake Scottsdale 1 oz. silver bars from eBay ? Collectors Universe
03-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know nothing about coins
Me neither, but the lack of the usual "United States of America" and denomination as well as the strange-looking edge were my clues that it was not something anyone would want to buy, even as a paperweight.

Steve
03-24-2019, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Me neither, but the lack of the usual "United States of America" and denomination as well as the strange-looking edge were my clues that it was not something anyone would want to buy, even as a paperweight.
You'd need a lot of 'em to act as a paperweight
03-24-2019, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This looks like the Constantine coin.
CONSTANTINE I the Great Founds CONSTANTINOPLE 330AD Ancient Roman Coin i74234 | eBay
03-24-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I will add, for the OP's benefit...

When collecting anything - be it vintage lenses (in which he also has an interest), coins, stamps, cars... *anything* at all - knowledge, research, provenance, source of supply and an appreciation of the market are all vital if you're to avoid being ripped off at some point. Whenever I'm buying anything - collectable or otherwise - from anyone other than a well-regarded and highly-reputable vendor, I start with the assumption that I'm being hoodwinked... then I look for evidence to prove that assumption wrong. If I'm left with any doubts, I either don't proceed with the purchase, or I weigh up the risk and expenditure to decide whether it's worth a punt, but only then if I'm prepared to accept my investment may be lost.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-24-2019 at 04:35 PM.