Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2019, 02:20 AM - 17 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My orphan squirrel "Pip", dedicated to Rupert

As a Moderator I occasionally had runins with Rupert - I'm sorry but being old, grumpy and generally over the hill means that I'm afraid there was a limit to the amount of squirrel postings I could handle in any one day period . But, a couple of years later, I find myself in the supremely ironic position of having been adopted by a 5 week old orphan baby squirrel, which I'm hand-rearing until it is old enough to make its own way into the world. 10 days in she's doing fine, on a diet of rehydration liquids, puppy baby milk formula, nuts, veggies and bread, living in my photostudio with a microwavable hot water bottle as mummy. She's incredibly smart - learned to use the hamster water dropper thingie within one day. Incredibly endearing, whenever I take her outside to get used to that great big warm yellow thing in the sky she comes running straight at me and buries herself under my jumper. Meet "Pip" (name courtesy of my daughter). Rupert, this one's on you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
04-19-2019, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that's put a permanent smile on my face for today! She's a little cutie, Nass, and kudos to you for taking care of her. Rupert would approve, I'm sure
04-19-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure that will be a rewarding experience for you. But "old enough to make its own way into the world'' may be a long time coming if Pip has any say in the matter. I'd say you have a permanent addition to the family there.
04-19-2019, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Rupert and the Chronicles of Otis are missed by us all. Nice job in rescuing Pip. I hope she can make the transition back to the "wild".

04-19-2019, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Johan, you deserve an Otis Appreciation Award. Good job mate!
04-19-2019, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Otis would be proud.
04-19-2019, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I like the name 'Pip'. Reminds me of 'Pip' in Dickens' novel, Great Expectations. I don't know how well a young squirrel would be able to find it's way back into the squirrel world. An animal rehab might have some advice about reintroduction, etc...given their experience with similar cases.

I'm pleased that fate somehow intervened and brought both you and this orphaned squirrel together. It is always good when we can help others, in this old world of ours, even if we are of different species.

I hope you plan to provide us with progress reports. Sounds like you have things well in hand in raising this little mite.

04-19-2019, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like the name 'Pip'. Reminds me of 'Pip' in Dickens' novel, Great Expectations. I don't know how well a young squirrel would be able to find it's way back into the squirrel world. An animal rehab might have some advice about reintroduction, etc...given their experience with similar cases.

I'm pleased that fate somehow intervened and brought both you and this orphaned squirrel together. It is always good when we can help others, in this old world of ours, even if we are of different species.

I hope you plan to provide us with progress reports. Sounds like you have things well in hand in raising this little mite.
Hi,

I would do a like but there is no icon on my screen!
A common occurrence.

Regards.
04-19-2019, 11:54 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

04-19-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

A common occurrence.

Regards.
I just noticed that. My screen is bereft of a button ?
04-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

A common occurrence.

Regards.
Browsing on your phone perhaps? Or, try a different browser.
04-20-2019, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Pip's got some lovely whiskers!

I'm afraid, too, this partnership is going to last way, way longer than you'd expected. I've raised a few birds across the years myself. They tend to be more independent than mammals once they've grown, though.

04-20-2019, 01:36 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
As a Moderator I occasionally had runins with Rupert - I'm sorry but being old, grumpy and generally over the hill means that I'm afraid there was a limit to the amount of squirrel postings I could handle in any one day period . But, a couple of years later, I find myself in the supremely ironic position of having been adopted by a 5 week old orphan baby squirrel, which I'm hand-rearing until it is old enough to make its own way into the world. 10 days in she's doing fine, on a diet of rehydration liquids, puppy baby milk formula, nuts, veggies and bread, living in my photostudio with a microwavable hot water bottle as mummy. She's incredibly smart - learned to use the hamster water dropper thingie within one day. Incredibly endearing, whenever I take her outside to get used to that great big warm yellow thing in the sky she comes running straight at me and buries herself under my jumper. Meet "Pip" (name courtesy of my daughter). Rupert, this one's on you
Awesome Johan.

From Jim's Otis Army album on his Flickr page.

04-21-2019, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Given my runins with Rupe, never thought I'd reach the lofty heights of the Otis seal of approval
04-25-2019, 12:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Good luck raising the little critter.