Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Online Photog Classes???

I am thinking about taking a photography class. Due to my location an online course is pretty much my only option. Can anybody recommend one? There are alot out there and iti is obvious some are not good at all, and some look pretty good.

10-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't recommend anything, but it might help other folks if you describe more of what you're looking for. Do you have any experience with photography? Do you want accreditation? And, possibly, there might be other approaches you haven't considered yet: do you want particular assignments, healthy criticism, someone to ask questions when you don't understand things--or just a syllabus to facilitate self-study? (For me, finding specific assignments has been the most useful.)

Best of luck!
10-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
I can't recommend anything, but it might help other folks if you describe more of what you're looking for. Do you have any experience with photography? Do you want accreditation? And, possibly, there might be other approaches you haven't considered yet: do you want particular assignments, healthy criticism, someone to ask questions when you don't understand things--or just a syllabus to facilitate self-study? (For me, finding specific assignments has been the most useful.)

Best of luck!
My experience is only what I have picked up over the last couple of months. The forum is a great resource. I really need to learn the fundamentals as well as the technical aspects of lighting, composition, etc. I think a course certainly can't hurt me in these regards. Of course the assignments would help focus me (pun intended) on specific aspects that I might not otherwise approach purely out of ignorance.
10-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You have websites like strobist.com for lighting and Codiac2600 has some video tutorials on his website. There must be many other online tutorials, I've seen several mentioned on this forum.
BetterPhoto.com has been mentioned several times before for online courses.
I've done a weekend workshop but that only served to get me started taking photos. I've learnt much more from this forum and from taking pictures. The more you take, the more you learn. I've found that the technical side sinks in when it's good and ready. I just have to work out what I did right and what I did wrong every now and again.
I've learnt a great deal from studying other peoples photographs, especially those that are in a style that I also like to shoot.
That's my experience anyway.

10-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You have websites like strobist.com for lighting and Codiac2600 has some video tutorials on his website. There must be many other online tutorials, I've seen several mentioned on this forum.
BetterPhoto.com has been mentioned several times before for online courses.
For basic camera skills (relationship between f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO) I recommend this site. The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

For composition and post processing, these two are really good.

Ron Bigelow Articles

The Luminous Landscape Tutorials contents

That should keep busy for awhile.

Tim
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

I have taken a class through Betterphoto.com. They have 4 and 8 week classes available. Your instructor gives you an assignment,which is due in one week. The instructor will critique your images and give you good feedback on how to improve, etc. It's worth checking out. Check out their website for more info.