Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Remember, flickr was never built for serious users. It was built for people to post photos of how plastered they got on the weekend.

10-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's because you live in the boonies of PW county.

I wouldn't mind trying dsl, but we can't get it where we live. The hoa pays for comcast and my internet connection is with comcast. They (hoa) won't allow for anything other than comcast -- except dish network.

I bought a new dell with the 22" lcd back in May. It came with 2 different cables to connect the lcd to the tower. There was the generic black cord, and the other was a bluish (I think) cord that was sort of enhanced visuals(?), sort of like a hdmi cable. There were 2 separate connectors on the back of the lcd. I'm at work, but if I can remember this evening, I'll look and see exactly what it was called and let you know.
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Remember, flickr was never built for serious users. It was built for people to post photos of how plastered they got on the weekend.
which of course explains why every photo on the forum looks that way, and in fact every photo on every page on the internet that i've looked at with this connection looks that way.

it's really swell of you to lump every single flicker user in the entire great big world in to one disgusting category.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
It's because you live in the boonies of PW county.

I wouldn't mind trying dsl, but we can't get it where we live. The hoa pays for comcast and my internet connection is with comcast. They (hoa) won't allow for anything other than comcast -- except dish network.

I bought a new dell with the 22" lcd back in May. It came with 2 different cables to connect the lcd to the tower. There was the generic black cord, and the other was a bluish (I think) cord that was sort of enhanced visuals(?), sort of like a hdmi cable. There were 2 separate connectors on the back of the lcd. I'm at work, but if I can remember this evening, I'll look and see exactly what it was called and let you know.
We have direct tv and aren't comcast subscribers. The only way I can get dsl out here is through comcast as no one else comes out here. They want almost $60/ month for dsl if you are a non-subscriber. Don't think that's gonna happen. I have it at work but the county firewalls make uploading nearly impossible. Gotta love PWC!

My AOL connection was actually faster for dialup than this Net Zero I had to go with for now. The old AOL software didn't work on this sytem so I'm waiting for them to send me a disc so I can load it. I'll see if it's better with that.

I checked the connector thing, and even bought a HDMI cable, as the paper specs for the computer I THOUGHT I had bought said it has a plug for it. But when I got home I discovered that it didn't. So that $60 cord is going back. Everything looks fantastic so long as I'm not viewing it online so I guess it's carry on. I'll see what happens when I'm using AOL again.
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Damn Brit

Mel, you said that it was already on the highest setting, have you tried different settings?

Have you cleaned out your hard drive, defragged etc. I had a problem with pictures pixellating a couple of weeks ago (except on Elements for some reason) and we have DSL. I cleaned out my hard drive and everything was ok.

By the sounds of it, it does sound like your connection though. Give your provider a call, they may tell you that you can change some settings to optimise your link. They never tell you up front, you have to find out yourself.

10-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Mel, you said that it was already on the highest setting, have you tried different settings?

Have you cleaned out your hard drive, defragged etc. I had a problem with pictures pixellating a couple of weeks ago (except on Elements for some reason) and we have DSL. I cleaned out my hard drive and everything was ok.

By the sounds of it, it does sound like your connection though. Give your provider a call, they may tell you that you can change some settings to optimise your link. They never tell you up front, you have to find out yourself.

Lol. I've had the thing for two days. I doubt I need to defrag yet. My current connection is temporary. As soon as I get the new AOL software I'll see if that connection gives me better images. If not, well, I'll chalk it up to the disadvantages of living on an acre and a half of forest. Everything's a tradeoff. The images coming off one of the harddrives, flash media, or cards look wonderful. I think the monitor is fine.
10-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #21

My guess it's your Netzero connection.. They will compress the hell out of everything to give your a "faster/better" internet experience over dialup.

See NetZero Support - Poor Image quality with NetZero HiSpeed 3G- Free Dial Up Internet Service - High Speed ISP - Net Zero Internet Provider - Netzero.com for some settings to maybe improve that...
10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
My guess it's your Netzero connection.. They will compress the hell out of everything to give your a "faster/better" internet experience over dialup.

See NetZero Support - Poor Image quality with NetZero HiSpeed 3G- Free Dial Up Internet Service - High Speed ISP - Net Zero Internet Provider - Netzero.com for some settings to maybe improve that...
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. That's what I thought it might be but of course because of the lousy connection I couldnt' really research the issue. It's only a temporary thing. I'm dumping it as soon as I can.

As far as dialups go, Netzero is waaaaaay slower than AOL. I'm used to dialup and this is killing even me. So much for their faster/better theory.

Update: I tweaked the setting as you suggested and was able to get an improvement. When I have it at the highest quality images won't load at all so I backed it off until I was able to acheive a compromise. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by mel; 10-08-2008 at 06:57 PM.
10-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Once you're going, check this site out to calibrate your monitor if you don't have anything fancy to do it with.

Actually there's a few of those type of sites around, but I thought that one was a goodie.
10-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Once you're going, check this site out to calibrate your monitor if you don't have anything fancy to do it with.

Actually there's a few of those type of sites around, but I thought that one was a goodie.
Wow cool thanks! When I have a better connection I'll do that.
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Try a different browser just for the heck of it. Firefox 3.x is a great alternative if you've been using IE. Ya just never know.
10-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Have you checked with your local phone company to see if they offer DSL? When Husband and I first moved into this house (in the middle of a rural town), dialup was the only choice we had. When the phone company announced that DSL would finally be coming to our area, we didn't have to think twice about signing up.

I dislike dialup so bad that if I were in your shoes and could afford it, I'd take the $60/month Comcast high-speed connection if that was the only connection I had access to.

Husband's brother lives in the boonies of Nokesville, VA and has Comcast--don't know how much he pays for it, though.

From one librarian to another, if there's another option out there, I'm sure you can find it.

Heather
10-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Have you checked with your local phone company to see if they offer DSL? When Husband and I first moved into this house (in the middle of a rural town), dialup was the only choice we had. When the phone company announced that DSL would finally be coming to our area, we didn't have to think twice about signing up.

I dislike dialup so bad that if I were in your shoes and could afford it, I'd take the $60/month Comcast high-speed connection if that was the only connection I had access to.

Husband's brother lives in the boonies of Nokesville, VA and has Comcast--don't know how much he pays for it, though.

From one librarian to another, if there's another option out there, I'm sure you can find it.

Heather
NO WAY!! You're a librarian? Awesome.
AND I live in Nokesville! You'll have to pm me and tell me who and where. And believe me, I've hunted down the options.

The phone co doesn't offer dsl here yet so Comcast is the only option. If you are a cable subscriber it's a lot cheaper but we have direct tv and are somewhat addicted to the TIVO option it offers. It's all a compromise. I can get highspeed at work and sometime will go in early to upload stuff. I just can't download.

One upside to dialup with teenagers, they get impatient and don't use the internet so much and it makes it harder for them to download stuff that costs me money.