Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2019, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blues!!!

49 Years. GLOOOOOOOOR I A ! GLOOOOOOOOR I A !

Last edited by monochrome; 05-21-2019 at 10:04 PM.
05-21-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
49 Years.
That's a long time ago, ironic that the Blues will be playing the Bruins again. No Bobby Orr, Gary Cheevers, Wayne Cashman or Phil Esposito to deal with, the Blues should have better odds this time.
05-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
That's a long time ago, ironic that the Blues will be playing the Bruins again. No Bobby Orr, Gary Cheevers, Wayne Cashman or Phil Esposito to deal with, the Blues should have better odds this time.
There were so many people jumping up and down in this city that seismographs registered motion

My dad had 4 Blues season tickets so I saw a lot of games in middle school and high school - but never an important playoff game.
05-21-2019, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Blues!!!
Aye you've lost us all this side of the puddle, with this thread...

05-22-2019, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Well now the Blues need to sweep the Bruins, who swept the Hurricanes, who swept the Islanders, who swept the Penguins. Wouldn't that be strange.
05-22-2019, 03:08 AM - 3 Likes   #6
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Well now the Blues need to sweep the Bruins, who swept the Hurricanes, who swept the Islanders, who swept the Penguins. Wouldn't that be strange.
Good grief this thread gets worse, even Google Translate is of no help now... colours, weather, landfalls and birds all in the same sentence.

Take pity on all us non English, first language speakers out here...
05-22-2019, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Good grief this thread gets worse, even Google Translate is of no help now... colours, weather, landfalls and birds all in the same sentence.

Oh dear you are confused. Who mentioned colours? Music might be what you mistook for colour, which is color over here.😁

Edit. Puck is not from a Shakespeare play if that comes up.
05-22-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Less confusing than last week's US sports headlines, "Zion in talks with Pelicans."

05-22-2019, 08:19 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The game of ice hockey was invented in Canada, of course. The first professional ice hockey league, the National Hockey League, was an all-Canadian league until 1924 when the Boston Bruins joined. By 1942 the NHL was down to six teams, two in Canada (Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple leafs) and four American (Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks), called the Original Six, even though only the Canadiens were in the NHL when it formed in 1917. These six teams had the professional ice hockey world to themselves until 1967 when six brand new American teams were added, The Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, Minnesota North Stars, Oakland Seals, Los Angeles Kings and St. Louis Blues, the team Mr. Monochrome cheers for. At least it snows in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Minnesota (the North Stars were based in St. Paul, Minnesota) and St. Louis; putting two teams in California was a bit peculiar. Expansion made money for the owners of the Original Six teams, so the league expanded again in 1970 and 1974. It would take a 10,000 word essay to describe the locations and names of expansion teams from 1970 to the present age, so I'll spare you that.

Not only did the Original Six take money from the New Six teams to join the NHL, they arranged things so that the New Six teams would remain inferiour for a number of years. The new teams were shunted off to the West Division (even though Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are much further east than Detroit or Chicago) and were segregated for the Stanley Cup playoffs (league championship), not playing the established East teams until the final round, when the "best" team in the weak West Division would face the best Original Six team. The St. Louis Blues managed to pick up an all-star goalkeeper in the expansion draft of 1967, Glenn Hall, who was able to get the Blues to the Stanley Cup finals in 1967-1968 (hockey is played during winter, of course), 1968-1969 and 1969-1970 seasons, but he couldn't score goals, so the Blues were eliminated in four games straight (it is a best of 7 playoff format) every time. It wasn't until 1975 that an expansion team won the Stanley Cup (the Philadelphia Flyers, aka Broad Street Bullies) and the Blues have not been in the finals since 1970, when they lost four games straight to the Boston Bruins. In 2019, the Blues defeated the San Jose Sharks (who joined the NHL in 1991) four games to two to once again represent the West against the Bruins who will represent the East.

One final footnote: in 1977, the Blues were on the verge of bankruptcy and were sold to Ralston Purina, the dog food company. Ralston Purina intended to flip the Blues to someone who would keep the team in St. Louis, but the team continued to lose money and in 1983, an offer was made by "Wild" Bill Hunter to buy the Blues from Ralston Purina and move the team to Saskatoon, where I now live. The other NHL owners were aghast at the idea of a team based in the little city of Saskatoon and kiboshed the deal.
05-22-2019, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #10
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The game of ice hockey was invented in Canada, of course. The first professional ice hockey league, the National Hockey League, was an all-Canadian league until 1924 when the Boston Bruins joined. By 1942 the NHL was down to six teams, two in Canada (Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple leafs) and four American (Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks), called the Original Six, even though only the Canadiens were in the NHL when it formed in 1917. These six teams had the professional ice hockey world to themselves until 1967 when six brand new American teams were added, The Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, Minnesota North Stars, Oakland Seals, Los Angeles Kings and St. Louis Blues, the team Mr. Monochrome cheers for. At least it snows in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Minnesota (the North Stars were based in St. Paul, Minnesota) and St. Louis; putting two teams in California was a bit peculiar. Expansion made money for the owners of the Original Six teams, so the league expanded again in 1970 and 1974. It would take a 10,000 word essay to describe the locations and names of expansion teams from 1970 to the present age, so I'll spare you that.

Not only did the Original Six take money from the New Six teams to join the NHL, they arranged things so that the New Six teams would remain inferiour for a number of years. The new teams were shunted off to the West Division (even though Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are much further east than Detroit or Chicago) and were segregated for the Stanley Cup playoffs (league championship), not playing the established East teams until the final round, when the "best" team in the weak West Division would face the best Original Six team. The St. Louis Blues managed to pick up an all-star goalkeeper in the expansion draft of 1967, Glenn Hall, who was able to get the Blues to the Stanley Cup finals in 1967-1968 (hockey is played during winter, of course), 1968-1969 and 1969-1970 seasons, but he couldn't score goals, so the Blues were eliminated in four games straight (it is a best of 7 playoff format) every time. It wasn't until 1975 that an expansion team won the Stanley Cup (the Philadelphia Flyers, aka Broad Street Bullies) and the Blues have not been in the finals since 1970, when they lost four games straight to the Boston Bruins. In 2019, the Blues defeated the San Jose Sharks (who joined the NHL in 1991) four games to two to once again represent the West against the Bruins who will represent the East.

One final footnote: in 1977, the Blues were on the verge of bankruptcy and were sold to Ralston Purina, the dog food company. Ralston Purina intended to flip the Blues to someone who would keep the team in St. Louis, but the team continued to lose money and in 1983, an offer was made by "Wild" Bill Hunter to buy the Blues from Ralston Purina and move the team to Saskatoon, where I now live. The other NHL owners were aghast at the idea of a team based in the little city of Saskatoon and kiboshed the deal.
As I wrote above, My father had season tickets during that stretch. I saws Glenn Hall. I saw Jacques Plante take a slap shot to the forehead and when he returned he had the first goalie mask. I saw Red Berenson score six goals in one game. Brett Hull. Adam Oates. Many Plagers. And Tarasenko - Wow!

Always entertaining but they could never quite close the deal.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2019 at 09:43 AM.
05-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Famous American Blues/Jazz tune: The St. Louis Blues. W. C. Handy, 1914. You’ve heard it.
05-22-2019, 10:43 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Brett Hull
My youngest son with HOF Brett Hull in 1996.

05-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My youngest son with HOF Brett Hull in 1996.
Cool! That was of course later in my life when I would take my wife and she would scream herself hoarse.
05-22-2019, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

49 Years. GLOOOOOOOOR I A ! GLOOOOOOOOR I A !
Good grief, not another one... It was bad enough having Bob going all nuts over this figure-skating-meets-golf thing

05-22-2019, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #15
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good grief, not another one... It was bad enough having Bob going all nuts over this figure-skating-meets-golf thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KluFB9A8M
There’s a backstory.

When were last in the NHL in January some Blues players went to a bar in Philly that played Laura Brannigan’s Gloria They played it in the locker room before a won game - and they played it again ad won again. So they played it again. And they won. And again. And again. 29 of 43 in a stretch - and here we are.

Now they play it before ice time, then St. Louie Blues. A radio station here played it in rotation for 24 hours before the Championship. It’s on Muzak. TV stations lead Sports with it. People hum it in the halls at work. Apple reportedly detected a spike in downloads.

Believe me - it is crazy here. My company doesn’t permit denim but we can wear jeans if accompanied by Blues gear - not just blue, TEAM Jersey. People left work yesterday at Noon and they’re just rolling in now and they don’t have to mark time off.

It’s really fun.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2019 at 03:37 PM.