Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #1

Colour management is still a huge mess in Windows

I just purchased a Dell UP2516D, a monitor which fully supports Adobe RGB. I bought it because: 1) My Epson printer prints in Adobe RGB 2) My photos were shot in Adobe RGB. However, to my shock and absolute horror, native support for colour management in Windows is a mess. Why did I switch over to Windows?! I should have stayed with Apple and their MacOS.

Here's the gist:
Microsoft's photo app in Windows 10 is NOT colour managed at all.
Microsoft's old Image viewer IS colour managed, it is available if you upgraded to Windows 10 from an older version. However, If you did a fresh instal of Windows 10, you're out of luck unless you're willing to mess with your registry.
IE and Edge are both colour managed, but DON'T convert images to your monitor's colour space, they just assume your monitor to be sRGB.
Firefox is colour managed, BUT requires some tweaking to work (colour management and ICC v4 profiles are disabled by default)
Surprisingly, Chrome (I'm using Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)), a browser whose Google search result claims to be "not a color managed browser", IS properly colour managed.
Way to go, MS, for screwing up colour management so badly.
BTW, colour vs color, REALLY?!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-23-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Mild masked profanities removed.
05-23-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TH1813254617 Quote
I just purchased a Dell UP2516D, a monitor which fully supports Adobe RGB. I bought it because: 1) My Epson printer prints in Adobe RGB 2) My photos were shot in Adobe RGB. However, to my shock and absolute horror, native support for colour management in Windows is a mess. Why did I switch over to Windows?! I should have stayed with Apple and their MacOS.

Here's the gist:
Microsoft's old Image viewer IS colour managed, it is available if you upgraded to Windows 10 from an older version. However, If you did a fresh instal of Windows 10, you're out of luck unless you're willing to mess with your registry.
IE and Edge are both colour managed, but DON'T convert images to your monitor's colour space, they just assume your monitor to be sRGB.
Firefox is colour managed, BUT requires some tweaking to work (colour management and ICC v4 profiles are disabled by default)
Surprisingly, Chrome (I'm using Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)), a browser whose Google search result claims to be "not a color managed browser", IS properly colour managed.
That's up to the app you use, TH.

My Lightroom and Photoshop on Windows 10 are colour managed, that's what I paid for.
05-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I get along fine with colour management in both Linux Mint 18.3 and Windows 10. DigiKam, darktable, RawTherapee, GIMP and Firefox all colour-managed and working as expected. I don't use the native viewers in either operating system. It would be nice if every app in every operating system were colour-managed, sure... But so long as my dedicated image processing tools and browser are, that's enough for me...
05-28-2019, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TH1813254617 Quote

Here's the gist:
Yes I was disapponted that the default Win10 app is not colour managed. I downloaded the free "fast Picture Viewer" which is colour managed. But I do most of my viewing and editing in Lightroom or Photoshop or Silkypix. They all deal with colour management themelves, as long as you have a properly calibrated screen you will get correct results.

Firefox takes a few seconds to change in the about:config page to enable colour management. i only use firefox to view the web because of this. I too find it strange that firefox has been colour managed for years, but other browsers cannot get it right.

i view on the web more than I print. My workflow is :
shoot raw.
convert to TIFF and edit in AdobeRGB
convert to sRGB for posting on the web.

I use an Eizo wide gamut monitor properly calibrated. As long as I use colour managed apps like Lightroom and Firefox my images display correctly.