Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Waterfall & Fall Foliage Shoot, Shenandoah Natl Park foothills

I'm planning on going out to Whiteoak Falls in the foothills of Shenandoah National Park on the 25th. Whiteoak Falls is just SW of Staunton (SW of Warrenton) on the eastern side of the park.

The fall foliage should be at it's peak that weekend. The main falls are a little under 2 miles UP the trail. Trail difficulty is "moderate" with an approximate 1400' elevation gain from the parking area, but starting from the bottom means an easier hike back to the cars.

I'll post a map and further details if folks are interested...

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-16-2008 at 05:08 PM.
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'm planning on going out to Whiteoak Falls in the foothills of Shenandoah National Park on the 25th. Whiteoak Falls is just SW of Staunton (SW or Warrenton) on the eastern side of the park.

The fall foliage should be at it's peak that weekend. The main falls are a little under 2 miles UP the trail. Trail difficulty is "moderate" with an approximate 1400' elevation gain from the parking area, but starting from the bottom means an easier hike back to the cars.

I'll post a map and further details if folks are interested...
Would love to join you, but don't have time to make the flight.

We have little in the way of fall color in the mountains around here. There is the occasional yellow larch or aspen with most of the color being supplied by bright red vine maples. These contrast nicely with the predominant conifers, so I guess it is not all that bad.

Steve
10-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Mike,
I would love to join you, but I made other commitments to the PhotoPlus International Conference and Expo In NY city that weekend.
I think your right about the colors being at peak that weekend there, should be a fantastic place to get great shots. Hope you'll post some shots for us to see.
10-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike, I'll see if I can get a "kitchen pass" for the 25th. My wife and I are helping our son (read that mostly me) paint the interior of his townhouse and replace the carpet, so I might not be successful. I'll let you know.

10-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its looking like the 25th will be best afterall. Its sort of a roll of the dice anyway so...

The small red square marked the general location.

I can transport up to 3 other people if folks want to meet somewhere between Dulles Airport and Sperryville. Let me know and we will work out logistics.

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-17-2008 at 09:45 AM.
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was born and raised in Staunton and I can't tell you how much I'd love to go Mike.
I hope you guys have a wonderful trip and I can't wait to see any pictures you take from that area.
I've lived out here for about 34 years now but at times like this I can still get awfully homesick.
You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.
10-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mike,

A group of us from my HOG chapter are doing a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the 19th. Hope it's not to early for some good senery. Hope to get a few good shots but with a group it's kinda hard. Good luck on your trip.

10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eaglerapids and Hoghead. We'll be a postin'

Nice website hoghead!
10-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mike,
Your timing should be about perfect. The trip on the parkway this past Sunday was great but not a lot of color. Another week should just about do it.
10-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks hoghead. Yeah, it's lookin like the timing is going to be spot on (by some miracle).

Soooooo... Any takers????? Runnin out of time!

This is a photo that I shot last year in the same general area...