Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Damaged Packages USPS-FedEx-UPS-Amazon Post your pictures

I’ve received numerous packages and envelopes from USPS, FedEx and to a lesser extent, UPS which look like they were stomped, sat upon, stuck in machinery, and in one case run over! A recent Pentax Marketplace purchase arrived from USPS in a box looking like it fell off a truck going 55 MPH! Luckily, the sender had adequately cushioned the K-5 body the box contained. I’ve posted photos of that package.
So, let us see the damaged, mangled, squashed, torn or filthy pancakes you’ve received!

Attached Images

06-04-2019, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many private sellers skimp on cushioned packing material
or simply try to ship in too small a box to save on postage.
Most commercial businesses know better and don't cut corners.

In such cases no matter how much insurance is added shipper will not make
good on claims filed for damaged items due to inadequate packaging.

Some recipients of my parcels have remarked they are "overpacked".
Shipping boxes, bubble wrap, styrofoam pellets, tape and postage
are cheap compared to the total loss by damage of items shipped.

Chris
06-04-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not B&H. My D FA 150-450 arrived in a box barely big enough for the original box. The only packing materials were 2 air cushions, one of which had 2 deflated pouches. FedEx delivered the package without crushing it.
06-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the box in the OP looks like it went through a series of mishaps, it appears that it may have served its purpose.

External or outer shipping containers, such as corrugated boxes, are meant to absorb shock energy by crushing or deforming, sort of like an automobile involved in a collision. Internal packing material serves to further absorb shock, stabilize the contents, and mitigate vibrations and moisture infiltration. There are limits to shock protection, however, and lightweight cardboard boxes probably can't withstand multiple drops or other mishandling.

It helps if the internal packing material is sufficient and appropriate, but of course, we'd prefer to receive packages in pristine condition. Goods that are shipped in packages that include only a couple of loose 'air pillows' or a few 'peanuts' are most prone to damage.

Sorry, I don't have any examples to post.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.
06-04-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Possibly slightly off-topic, but I used to be employed by the GPO. On one occasion, a lady arrived with a thin oblong package, maybe 16x20, with a sheet of brown paper covering it. She handed it over, remarking 'Please be careful with it, it contains an antique mirror'.

The Postmaster gently explained to her that protective packaging was the customer's responsibility, but she didn't seem happy or satisfied.
06-04-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
While the box in the OP looks like it went through a series of mishaps, it appears that it may have served its purpose.

External or outer shipping containers, such as corrugated boxes, are meant to absorb shock energy by crushing or deforming, sort of like an automobile involved in a collision. Internal packing material serves to further absorb shock, stabilize the contents, and mitigate vibrations and moisture infiltration. There are limits to shock protection, however, and lightweight cardboard boxes probably can't withstand multiple drops or other mishandling.

It helps if the internal packing material is sufficient and appropriate, but of course, we'd prefer to receive packages in pristine condition. Goods that are shipped in packages that include only a couple of loose airbags or a few 'peanuts' are most prone to damage.

Sorry, I don't have any examples to post.

- Craig
I received an Amazon Prime padded envelope last year which had been run over! Looked like a forklift tire track. Fortunately, the small item in the envelope had shifted to the other end. I had a photo, but deleted it by mistake.

Walmart is by far the worst shipper when it comes to packing appropriately. We’ve received broken glass jars and other damaged items several times. They use huge boxes, however the only energy absorbing material is wadded craft paper. The paper doesn’t keep items in place at all. Useless.
06-04-2019, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

-
-
I don't know about that, my K70 from B&H had one strip of bubble rap on the bottom of the box, nothing rapped around it or anything.
I send things out with more care on ebay that sold for under $10.

06-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have noticed that Amazon is getting pretty sloppy lately.
Either they don't train their people correctly or they're telling them to economize on packaging.

Chris
06-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I don't know about that, my K70 from B&H had one strip of bubble rap on the bottom of the box, nothing rapped around it or anything.
I send things out with more care on ebay that sold for under $10.
Did you discuss it with them?
06-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There is one time I send a package to Thailand and it was opened and re-wrapped. Nothing missing. The post office said; they open to check the content inside! Which we were like... you guy don't have an x-ray machine? It was a japanese gift, should be easily see by any x-ray machine. but it happened only one time.
06-04-2019, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
There is one time I send a package to Thailand and it was opened and re-wrapped. Nothing missing. The post office said; they open to check the content inside! Which we were like... you guy don't have an x-ray machine? It was a japanese gift, should be easily see by any x-ray machine. but it happened only one time.
They generally open and re-wrap if the parcel seems a bit suspect in the xray. Sometimes, the xray shows detail that they think could be drugs or whatever, and then they do a visual check. I've had this happen before.
Usually they stick it shut with packaging tape which is printed "Opened by Customs" or words to that effect.
06-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did you discuss it with them?
Since everything worked and the box didn't get crushed, I didn't bring it up.
06-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Since everything worked and the box didn't get crushed, I didn't bring it up.
Their management do like to know when the packaging department is not performing as expected. Next time, do send them a note with a photo of the inside of the box.
06-05-2019, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some recipients of my parcels have remarked they are "overpacked".
Shipping boxes, bubble wrap, styrofoam pellets, tape and postage
are cheap compared to the total loss by damage of items shipped.

Chris
Seriously? They must be inhaling. Overpacking is a 50mm lens double-rolled in 2” blister bubble wrap then double wrapping the resulting 12’ ball in packaging tape. A football is less durable.

Cutting the material off is more likely to damage the lens than dropping it off a building, which reminds me of a middle-school science experiment each of my children had to do as a lesson on inertia and momentum.

Pack a raw egg in a mailing box using non-commercial packing materials (this was before Priority Mail). (Teacher) dropped the box off the roof of the 3-story school building. Earn an extra credit if the egg did not break.

Two of three children ‘won’.
  • Daughter #1 used cotton quilt batting with a cut-out for the egg. Yes
  • Son #1 fashioned air cushions out of newsprint and scotch tape. No
  • Daughter #3 put the egg in a small sealed Tupperware full of glycerine and loosely cushioned in the box with wadded newspaper. She wasn’t really trying, but it actually worked, so Yes
They had to write a paper on why they chose their packing and what they expected to happen, and then why what happened, happened.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-05-2019 at 03:04 AM.
06-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Seriously? They must be inhaling. Overpacking is a 50mm lens double-rolled in 2” blister bubble wrap then double wrapping the resulting 12’ ball in packaging tape.
Wrapping a 50mm lens in a ball of bubble wrap twelve feet in diameter will net you an oversize package surcharge.

cheesy