Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's Just History

"Boy, I really like that picture! You must have a great camera."

We have all heard this at least once.
You go out and find just the right scene; look at a number of different vantage points and finally choose one; set up the tripod, select the lens, make all your settings, and get your focus and framing just so; wait for the just the right part of the golden hour; and finally you take the photo.

Then you go home and spend some time with your post-processing program (after re-calibrating your display) getting everything just so. Finally, you print and mount the photograph – it will be a gift for a family member.

You give the gift. They open the gift. They ooh and aah and rave about the picture. And then they say, "Gee, I wish I had a camera like yours."
Sound familiar? Of course it does. But have heart. This has happened all through history. Here are just a few examples from history.
  • Hey Mike! That statue of David is really super. I wish I had a chisel like yours.
  • Mr. Monet, I saw those water lily pictures you painted. I guess your brush is really expensive, huh?
  • Ernest, I liked your latest book. How much would it cost me to buy a typewriter like yours?
  • Did you see that airplane Orville and Wilbur built? Boy, they must have some great wrenches.

So the next time someone likes one of your pictures and compliments the camera, just remember, it has happened to the best of folks.

P.S. Have your own example? Please share it.

06-15-2019, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never happened to me. All I’ve ever gotten is ”Pentax???? I thought they went out of business years ago.”
06-15-2019, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote

We have all heard this at least once.
You go out and find just the right scene; look at a number of different vantage points and finally choose one; set up the tripod, select the lens, make all your settings, and get your focus and framing just so; wait for the just the right part of the golden hour; and finally you take the photo.

Then you go home and spend some time with your post-processing program (after re-calibrating your display) getting everything just so. Finally, you print and mount the photograph Ė it will be a gift for a family member.

You give the gift. They open the gift. They ooh and aah and rave about the picture. And then they say, "Gee, I wish I had a camera like yours."
Sound familiar? Of course it does. But have heart. This has happened all through history. Here are just a few examples from history.
  • Hey Mike! That statue of David is really super. I wish I had a chisel like yours.
  • Mr. Monet, I saw those water lily pictures you painted. I guess your brush is really expensive, huh?
  • Ernest, I liked your latest book. How much would it cost me to buy a typewriter like yours?
  • Did you see that airplane Orville and Wilbur built? Boy, they must have some great wrenches.

So the next time someone likes one of your pictures and compliments the camera, just remember, it has happened to the best of folks.

P.S. Have your own example? Please share it.
People canít seem to believe I turn out 5 star meals with the cookware I use (really old and well loved cast iron)

---------- Post added 06-15-19 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Never happened to me. All Iíve ever gotten is ĒPentax???? I thought they went out of business years ago.Ē
That is so sad. Iíve had that one as well. I also had a camera store clerk tell me, in a rather pompous tone of voice, that they donít deal in third party glass when I asked about a particular Pentax lens. The irony was that he was about 10 feet from a display case of Sigma lenses.
06-15-2019, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many years ago, when I was about 22-23 years old, I bought and painstakingly restored, to factory original, a '57 Ford Custom 300 sedan.

One of the first comments from some admirer was: "How long has your dad owned this car?"

06-16-2019, 01:58 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

That's a line my mother often uses.Iím tempted to reply

"Delicious meal Mum,you must have a great oven!"

Last edited by timb64; 06-16-2019 at 07:05 AM.
06-16-2019, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Make sure you don't get hit by a flying pan - remember the skillet takes.
06-16-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm an engineer. My brother is a musician and writer. When looking at my photographs of Iceland he said that they were amazing, and then asked what camera I had that could take such great pictures. I though for a second about asking about the synthesizers that make his electronic music. But I didn't.

06-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Make sure you don't get hit by a flying pan - remember the skillet takes.
*Grrroooaaaannnnn....*

06-16-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet Mickey Mantle used a really good bat.
06-16-2019, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Geeze, you guys are tough. I just tell them what camera I used.

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Gee, I wish I had a camera like yours."
The sentiment being, he/she likes the quality of the image and he wonders what he/she could do with similar equipment.
I refuse to be annoyed.

And many times at a baseball game, after an impressively long hit, I do go check out the bat used. Did you know towards the end of my baseball life, a new bat could add 80 feet to my distance, and the year i switched, I went from 2 home runs in a 20 game season, to 20, because many of my balls were getting caught 20 feet short of the fence.
The fact that someone acknowledges that your camera is of good enough to satisfy their wishes, doesn't necessarily mean they are not giving credit to the photographer.

Someone saying "you're a friggin great photographer" would just make me blush and feel uncomfortable. Let's just talk about my camera.

Compared to talking about how great I am which sounds egotistical, it's probably more socially acceptable to talk gear. I have no problem gushing about my camera.