Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2019, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That incident actually happened in Idaho in the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forest in mid September. I was standing on some rocks somewhat away from the shore of the Selway River, but well within rock throwing distance of the Selway road, photographing the Selway River falls. The hunter, if that is what he was, was shooting towards a road, and hadn't bothered to make sure of what he was shooting at.
I'm not going to get into statistics other than: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
During the 6 years I lived in Timmins, Ontario, a big time hunting destination, Hunters shot and killed 3 people in 6 years. I simply will not go into the woods in deer or moose hunting seasons. The hunting organizations say hunters are statistically safe, if you're one of the ones who gets shot, that doesn't matter. But it sounds like the guy above was a poacher.

Where I live, some people brag about their poaching.

As I was driving down my 1/3 mile long, open and very exposed driveway near Perth, Ontario, I once had a guy , stop his car, and line up a grouse and fire with me in the direct line of fire, but fortunately at a good distance. That's illegal on about 4 counts. But if poachers were going to follow the rules, they wouldn't be poachers would they?

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2019 at 09:43 AM.
06-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
...It brings up a good safety point for nature photographers though: during any hunting season, we should at least wear a hunter orange hat...
An orange cap or other clothing is good regardless of hunting season. It gives you something visible to wave if you get injured/lost. And something for searchers to spot if you are unconscious.
06-19-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
An orange cap or other clothing is good regardless of hunting season. It gives you something visible to wave if you get injured/lost. And something for searchers to spot if you are unconscious.
I agree, the bright orange colour is certainly a safety advantage to people out and about in the woods . In fact I recall quite clearly an outdoors company offering bright orange toilet paper for sale. Apparently the inspiration was that some outdoors people...had been shot at, while heeding the call of nature while in the outdoors. Some said those shot at, were thought to be cotton tailed rabbits by hunters who didn't spend enough time confirming what they were shooting at.

I wouldn't call them hunters. My dad was a hunter and always said, don't pull the trigger until you know...for sure... what you're shooting at.
06-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, quote of the day, for mine.
Listen to 'Let me die a young man's death', by The Liverpool Scene

06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #50
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The hunting organizations say hunters are statistically safe
They probably are - if they are hunters - although that is no comfort if you become a statistic. But, as you indicate, there are an awful lot of others (I wouldn't call them hunters) out there who are just shooting at whatever they see (or think they see) without regard for the law or safety of others. We get a few people driving the road at night with a spotlight and shooting quite close to our house. When I can, I follow them up and note the registration plate. It is illegal to shoot on the road and the police pay them a visit on that pretext even though it would be difficult to prosecute. But, as the police say. that type never has their firearms properly secured, so they have got them on something anyway.
06-19-2019, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Listen to 'Let me die a young man's death', by The Liverpool Scene
There's a funny Roger McGough poem of that name. Connected, 35mm?
06-20-2019, 05:55 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree, the bright orange colour is certainly a safety advantage to people out and about in the woods .
We always wear hunter orange during the hunting season for large animals. But thanks to my time in Timmins, I'm also aware that people have been shot wearing hunter orange. One hunter was charged after killing a guy, shooting at rustling bushes.

You can teach people whatever you want. That doesn't mean they'll do it.

06-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But, as you indicate, there are an awful lot of others (I wouldn't call them hunters) out there who are just shooting at whatever they see (or think they see) without regard for the law or safety of others
Good to know if I ever consider visiting Australia.
06-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Or the U.S. or Canada. Anywhere people have enough disposable income to afford guns.

Heck in the U.S. people can shoot you just for wandering onto their property.
06-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or the U.S. or Canada. Anywhere people have enough disposable income to afford guns.
I don't know what you're experience is in New England, but I have plenty, and can assure you that there are not "an awful lot of others . . . who are just shooting at whatever they see" in the woods around here. Such scofflaws get turned in by real hunters and sportsmen. I can't speak for other areas since I have little experience there. Thanks for the warning about all the gun toting crazy Canadians in your woods though.

You are, at best, misinformed.
06-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep it in mind for Montana and Idaho as well......
And, to be truthful, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and the rest of Canada.
We all have our share of idiots.
06-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #57
Pentaxian

You are, at best, misinformed.
Norm, I agree with you, but maybe everyone should drop this tangent so the thread doesn't get locked.
06-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Norm, I agree with you, but maybe everyone should drop this tangent so the thread doesn't get locked.
Agreed.
06-20-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Another place for helpful hints in surviving in the wilderness until help, hopefully comes your way are some...and I state...only some...TV outdoors shows that focus on surviving in the outdoors.

A favourite of mine, no longer on was Survivorman with Les Stroud.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uac...kyKIh3HLEjuWyi

I recall an incident where a young man was lost in Northern Manitoba during the winter. Northern Manitoba in the dead of winter is a serious place to be lost in the wilderness. Temps can be extremely cold, snow can be deep.

The fellow spent a week and although some thought he wouldn't be found alive, he was. When asked what had helped him survive his ordeal, he credited the TV show, Survivorman along with other things.

I'm not saying a TV show is a college course on surviving when lost in the bush, but sometimes you can pick up some hints which may make the difference.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact...GbV-0VnjrRsLGF
06-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Another place for helpful hints in surviving in the wilderness until help, hopefully comes your way are some...and I state...only some...TV outdoors shows that focus on surviving in the outdoors.

A favourite of mine, no longer on was Survivorman with Les Stroud.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uac...kyKIh3HLEjuWyi

I recall an incident where a young man was lost in Northern Manitoba during the winter. Northern Manitoba in the dead of winter is a serious place to be lost in the wilderness. Temps can be extremely cold, snow can be deep.

The fellow spent a week and although some thought he wouldn't be found alive, he was. When asked what had helped him survive his ordeal, he credited the TV show, Survivorman along with other things.

I'm not saying a TV show is a college course on surviving when lost in the bush, but sometimes you can pick up some hints which may make the difference.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact...GbV-0VnjrRsLGF
Great show, I miss it.
That and Mantracker... I always wanted to be one of the guests on Mantracker. I could have outwitted those Cowboys, no problem. Many of the guests had complicated plans that came to nothing, but, I would have been different.