Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great show, I miss it.
That and Mantracker...
Yep. Great shows both. I got a kick out of the head tracker Terry Grant in Mantracker, who apparently also was involved with the Alberta Foothills SAR.

Anyways in an interview when asked where the easiest place was to track those in the show trying to hide from him, he replied...Saskatchewan. You can watch them try to run away for days on the open prairie.

06-21-2019, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm 68 and still wander freely through the woods and mountains. I do bring my cellphone although the Adirondacks are notorious for poor or no service. There are many places where GPS doesn't work either. I don't subscribe to the "you're too old for that" BS. There is always some risk in everything you do. All that said, I rarely spend much time on the trails alone. I am always coming across other hikers, fishermen, photographers, mountain bikers, etc. Wandering off trail has more risk but I currently don't consider any more risky than it was 20 years ago.

Safety is an illusion. I feel safer in the woods or out on the lakes than I do driving on the highway. Oh, and I still ride my motorcycles, too.
06-22-2019, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If you're going into the wilderness on your own, a Personal Locator Beacon is a must.
Something like the RESQLINK™ 406 MHZ GPS PLB-375 is ideal in that it requires free registration and no ongoing fees. The battery will be good for 10 years minimum and will allow the device to broadcast your location for between 24 and 40 hours even at freezing temperatures.
Thanks for this tip. I'm following up on it.
06-23-2019, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #64
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The last time I was in the States was a few years ago, and I sensed a seething anger just waiting to boil over from a lot of the people I ran into.
I'm quite surprised to hear this. Guess I'm spoiled living in Montana the majority of my entire life. Here, I've encountered nothing but kindness. The other day I was loading groceries into my vehicle, and an older gentleman came over to help me! I've definitely never sensed "a seething anger just waiting to boil over" here!

06-24-2019, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm quite surprised to hear this. Guess I'm spoiled living in Montana the majority of my entire life. Here, I've encountered nothing but kindness. The other day I was loading groceries into my vehicle, and an older gentleman came over to help me! I've definitely never sensed "a seething anger just waiting to boil over" here!
I've spent a number of weeks there over the years and will be in Montana and Wyoming a total of 3 weeks this summer. I've always been impressed by the general friendliness and generosity with information whenever requested. There aren't many places where people will volunteer information on little known trout waters to total strangers.
06-24-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've spent a number of weeks there over the years and will be in Montana and Wyoming a total of 3 weeks this summer. I've always been impressed by the general friendliness and generosity with information whenever requested. There aren't many places where people will volunteer information on little known trout waters to total strangers.
Generalizations of any kind are always unkind to those who don't fit the generalization. There's bound to be lots of great people every where and lots of ornery one's too.
06-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #67
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Roger, enjoy your visit! Yes, I've always found here, that total strangers will strike up a conversation with you about any topic, and are quite willing to share suggestions.

06-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's bound to be lots of great people every where and lots of ornery one's too.
In my experience over 60 years, there have been lots of great people and very few ornery ones. Just lucky I guess, or maybe just easy to get along with.