Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guitars

I think this is the right place to post this.

Guitars
I was in the market for a new guitar a few years ago and looked and looked at new ones. I wanted one that was like 900-1000+ dollars but didn't want to pay for it. Kept thinking about what I could do with this or that one. How could I sound? What would it be like? Hmmm. Not real good.

I'm not that great a player, I never practice, don't play much and always want to sound better but dont put in the time to really *be* better.

I ended up getting a pretty good les paul copy for $400, it was good, but not amaizing, it won't cramp my style any.

I just had an AHA moment now, this constant debating we do here with photo equipment, I knew there was something it made me think of. Guitars.

The very idea that "maybe if I buy this it will make me a better player/photographer" is so wrong. I was smart, I saw where I was headed and stopped myself. I knew what I really really wanted the most were not THINGS but SKILLS. I should really look at taking lessons and learn how to shoot and play, not buy more equipment.

I saw a few youtubes that impressed me. Some really skilled photographers were given some really low end photo equipment, like a barbie camera for one, and were asked take the best photos you can. And they did. We all look at that and go how?? Well, there must be more to it than owning this stuff, its what you do with it.

I just had to get that out there. I think most of you know what I mean

Jack

06-27-2019, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
“Lessons” .....they’re the key.

I went through a very similar process a few years back.Bought myself a lovely Epiphone Sheraton (Gibson ES 355 copy).

I spent the best part of 2 years trying to teach myself to play.I could eventually “play” a few tunes which (to my ears at least!)resembled some of my favourite songs but I then hit a brick wall and stopped playing altogether.I keep vowing to go back to it but unless I seriously commit to taking proper lessons accept it's unlikely to materialise.
06-27-2019, 09:01 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some truth to that, but as a decent guitar player, I absolutely play better on a good instrument. They are easier to play, have better intonation, and a real Les Paul is the only way to get “that” sound. I literally looked at LPs for 20 years before finding “the one”. She joined my 335 and SG, each of those just as carefully chosen to fit my hand and my style. A rubbish player would still sound rubbish on my gear.

A good photographer is still better with the right equipment for the job at hand, but your point about skill first is a good one.
06-27-2019, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #4

Like others have said a better camera / guitar / bike etc wont make a average person better BUT I have also gone down that path with camera / Bass guitars ( only real instrument none of that 6 string stuff ) & to be honest better gear makes life much better & also you wount be as frustrated with thing like crappy necks sharp frets guitars not set up correct . Just like cameras where you can adjust better type of auto focus able to adjust aperture & shutter on 2 different dials with out having to press 2 buttons to get say aperture on lower end models like K100 super .
I say buy what you can AFFORD & that is only be answered by you ( and maybe if you have a other 1/2 him or her as well)

06-27-2019, 10:25 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Well, there must be more to it than owning this stuff, its what you do with it.

I just had to get that out there. I think most of you know what I mean

Jack
Famous Tiger Woods story. He played in a Monday charity ProAm at the course of the week, partnered with a rich guy, the largest donor to the charity. Guy talked about clubs for several holes. Then Tiger hit some stupendously awesome drive and the guy said, “I’d do anything to have your swing.” Tiger replied, “Would you hit 3 million practice balls?”
10-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

been on and off from playing guitar for about 13ish years or so? What that really tells you is that i should be FAR better than what I am today.
I remember the first 1 year my learning was AMAZING. Everything came really easy to me, and i was improving significantly. Better speed, agility, accuracy. I spent hours learning everything about the guitar, from the measurements, to intonation etc. I even made my own guitar from parts, and what not.

sadly my learning kind of stopped there. Over the last 12 years or so, i went from owning 2 guitars, to 16 guitars at one point, and now back down to 3.

I wish I had the ability to learn new stuff, but that guitar rut of mine has been hanging on to me for life, it seems :-/
10-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with what has been previously posted. When I bought my first guitar, I picked it up on eBay from a local seller, and drove about an hour to take it off his hands. Great little starter, sounded nice and warm, but was definitely a "starter". No bells or whistles, it went out of tune easily because the tuning pegs weren't the greatest, but it worked.

It's really down to what you put into it, and how you can make the best out of what you have. No need to go out and drop a grand on a guitar unless you absolutely NEED that particular guitar and don't mind parting with the money. There are plenty of amazing instruments for a quarter of that, and then you can use the rest of the money to buy the accessories and accouterments.

As someone who was raised in a very musical family, it's better to get by with what you can use, than buy what you don't need.

10-30-2019, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
I agree with what has been previously posted. When I bought my first guitar, I picked it up on eBay from a local seller, and drove about an hour to take it off his hands. Great little starter, sounded nice and warm, but was definitely a "starter". No bells or whistles, it went out of tune easily because the tuning pegs weren't the greatest, but it worked.

It's really down to what you put into it, and how you can make the best out of what you have. No need to go out and drop a grand on a guitar unless you absolutely NEED that particular guitar and don't mind parting with the money. There are plenty of amazing instruments for a quarter of that, and then you can use the rest of the money to buy the accessories and accouterments.

As someone who was raised in a very musical family, it's better to get by with what you can use, than buy what you don't need.
I'm curious if you apply that to buying camera gear? :P
I mean, if you have a 31mm and 50mm, do you REALLY need a 24-70?

I for one just kept buying and selling guitars, and enjoying what each offered. Some played without any effort, others required a lot of effort. Some inspired riffs, while others looked pretty but had no real value beyond that.
10-30-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I'm curious if you apply that to buying camera gear? :P
I mean, if you have a 31mm and 50mm, do you REALLY need a 24-70?

I for one just kept buying and selling guitars, and enjoying what each offered. Some played without any effort, others required a lot of effort. Some inspired riffs, while others looked pretty but had no real value beyond that.
I mean, different guitars have different sounds and are meant for different things, soooooo yeah? The 31mm and 50mm primes are great for their respective focal lengths, but if you're doing a shoot or just out walking around, the 24-70 would be more versatile.
10-31-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At the end of the day It all depends on what guitar feels comfortable for you in your hands & while playing it. For me, a Gibson is too big & cumbersome for me to play, but a Squier Strat (lowend Fender) feels great in my hands.
11-12-2019, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just like camera equipment, if you don't make an effort to learn your instrument , and improve your technique, the best gear in the world won't make anyone's creative output great.

I own 4 basses, one Strat copy, and several amps, and haven't played any of them in years. Life keeps me busy.
Maybe this winter once I've gotten rid of a lot of unused stuff, and my work schedule relaxes a bit, I'll have the room, the time, and desire to play again.

At least my guitar purchasing habit is fairly dormant, unlike my LBA
11-13-2019, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Just like camera equipment, if you don't make an effort to learn your instrument , and improve your technique, the best gear in the world won't make anyone's creative output great.

I own 4 basses, one Strat copy, and several amps, and haven't played any of them in years. Life keeps me busy.
Maybe this winter once I've gotten rid of a lot of unused stuff, and my work schedule relaxes a bit, I'll have the room, the time, and desire to play again.

At least my guitar purchasing habit is fairly dormant, unlike my LBA
hahah, tell me about it! I went from one guitar, to 16 guitars, down to 3 guitars.
after buying tons of random gear which were all great in their own right, I'm now down to three. 2 electrics, and one acoustic. Do I play them half as much as I should?

No.

But each time I pick em up, they bring a smile to me for those 5 minutes I am playing em.
Really should plug em in and enjoy them some more. Maybe one day.
12-11-2019, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

It's an interesting one. A truly abysmal guitar can put you off playing/learning. A nice one might not.
Conversely, if you get used to playing a 'bad' one (high action etc.) then you might struggle to get comfortable on a good one down the line!

I've owned only 2 guitars (one now sold), shared another with my younger brother and he's on his 4th (I think). My 'crap' £200-and-approximately-14-years-old guitar has lasted me just fine as I know it's quirks and foibles.

I started off teaching myself around 15 years ago, taught myself for about 6/7 years before having a few lessons with a friend's dad. We ended up mostly jamming and I learned a little here and there but ultimately I'm now off lessons after about 6 months of intermittent ones. You don't have to self-teach, you don't have to get lessons. Take your pick (pun unintended) and stick with it! Time practicing out of lessons is what makes the biggest difference.

Oh, and don't ever listen to Guthrie Govan... he'll put you off playing entirely. No one should be that good at guitar!
12-12-2019, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still haven't cleaned up my practice area enough to play, but I am started to desire to get it done and get some calluses back on my fingers. THough I am primarily a bass player, I want to learn more guitar, especially rhythm guitar, because though I listen to a lot of great soloists and shredders, I know my mentality is more towards setting a foundation for a song, and I've had a lot of fun in duos or trios without drums. If the Strat copy hadn't offered a very good quality of sound and construction for a very low price, I'd get an acoustic and start from square one, as it is I can at least learn some chords and fingerings and see if I want to spend money on an acoustic. I'm a lefty, which is good because it keeps me from walking into stores and buying guitars, but also bad for the same reason.
12-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I'm a lefty, which is good because it keeps me from walking into stores and buying guitars, but also bad for the same reason.
Could always just reverse the string order, adjust the bridge, and if needed, affix a pick guard on the other side and turn most any right-handed guitar into a left-handed guitar. I've also seen some heavier modifications to a regular guitar to make it a baritone guitar. Requires a guitar that can be adjusted for some much heavier strings than normal. Generally doesn't play as nicely as an actual baritone guitar though.