Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just Got Burned- Sigma Mount Sold as Pentax K-AF

I knew I shouldnít have trusted this FB Marketplace seller! Lots of photos, none showed the lens mount, just the rear cap which is Sigmas stupid PKA/SA dual use cap. The lens is the highly sought after in PKA Mount 120-400mm HSM OS model. Came as new in box with warranty cards and all. I donít think itís ever been mounted on a camera. I asked the guy several times if it was indeed Pentax Mount. He said ďIt is what I said it isĒ.

The Big Problem, bought it from a no returns for any reason seller. Now, what am I going to do with a new, incompatible lens in a mount nobody uses anymore!! I certainly donít want to purchase a Foveon sensor Sigma body just to use one lens. Guess I should have stayed with eBay and the Pentax Marketplace.

07-11-2019, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ugh. Try photographing the mount and contact the seller. Dude may have said "no returns" but he misrepresented the item.
07-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ugh. Try photographing the mount and contact the seller. Dude may have said "no returns" but he misrepresented the item.
Photos of the mount and the warranty card which says F/Sigma SA have been sent with a photo of Pentax Mount. I doubt Iíll hear back.
07-11-2019, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Credit card used? That could be enough for a fraud claim.

07-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Photos of the mount and the warranty card which says F/Sigma SA have been sent with a photo of Pentax Mount. I doubt Iíll hear back.
Is this guy and active seller? Social pressure may be your friend.

This sort of BS really ticks me off. "Honest mistakes" don't bother me too much, but the fact that the warranty card says it's for Sigma indicates this dude was either supremely lazy or just looking for someone to dupe.
07-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Is this guy and active seller? Social pressure may be your friend.

This sort of BS really ticks me off. "Honest mistakes" don't bother me too much, but the fact that the warranty card says it's for Sigma indicates this dude was either supremely lazy or just looking for someone to dupe.
He sells a good bit of used Nikon gear and musical instruments on FB. I still think he knew it was not the mount he was representing because he waited for my payment to clear his bank before shipping. He did send it signature confirmation though, so maybe it is a legit mistake.
07-11-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

I would contact the seller for a full refund and if he's not willing to do so, my next call is to my credit card company and a charge-back on the seller...
07-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

...no returns for any reason...
How did you pay? Credit card or Paypal will reverse charges in cases of fraud. The seller misrepresented the item.

07-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Big Problem, bought it from a no returns for any reason seller.
First red flag. Do a charge-back on your credit card claiming non-fulfillment. Too many of those and his merchant account is toast. If PayPal, claim fraud. As for "what to do"...Contact Sigma regarding possible mount conversion.

Steve
07-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Payment was USPS Money Order. I heard back from the seller. He sent me back half the purchase price via PayPal (no fee) and I’m going to list the dang lens on eBay. Better than me eating $25 shipping to me I already paid and $25 back to the seller, who as you noticed, did not want to try and sell it again. Yeah me. I’m sure it will take forever to sell.

As for the mount conversion idea, Sigma does not convert the 120-400mm lens at all. Additionally, the conversion price for DC telephoto zooms is now $380 and requires you to be the original, registered purchaser of the lens. Guess they don’t want to convert Sigma SA lenses picked up cheap on the used market.
07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Contact Sigma regarding possible mount conversion.

Steve
It's not a Global Vision lens...
07-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess they donít want to convert Sigma SA lenses picked up cheap on the used market.
Of course they don't. They want you to buy the SA mount version of the MC-11 for E-mount cameras...
07-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Payment was USPS Money Order. I heard back from the seller. He sent me back half the purchase price via PayPal (no fee) and Iím going to list the dang lens on eBay. Better than me eating $25 shipping to me I already paid and $25 back to the seller, who as you noticed, did not want to try and sell it again. Yeah me. Iím sure it will take forever to sell.

As for the mount conversion idea, Sigma does not convert the 120-400mm lens at all. Additionally, the conversion price for DC telephoto zooms is now $380 and requires you to be the original, registered purchaser of the lens. Guess they donít want to convert Sigma SA lenses picked up cheap on the used market.

Not ideal, but better than nothing. Hopefully a Sigma owner will bite if you list it cheaply on ebay or whatever.
07-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe I'm a little confused about what the actual scenario is... but I do know that Sigma has a Mount-conversion option available for most systems. They might be able to switch it out (I believe they are $150)
07-12-2019, 02:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Maybe I'm a little confused about what the actual scenario is... but I do know that Sigma has a Mount-conversion option available for most systems. They might be able to switch it out (I believe they are $150)
It's only more recent lenses that they do that conversion with. And the OP mentioned other restrictions in a post.