Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking about getting a K1ii

Then drive to Nova Scotia looking for whales and/or puffins, drive back down to Niagra Falls, continue west through Michigan along the Great Lakes, on through the mid-west to Yellow Stone, head south to Grand Canyon then decide on either Yosemite or go back south/east through New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, MS, Alabama, GA to I85 to I95 to home.

Any comments/suggestions?

08-04-2019, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newfoundland and Labrador

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Drive carefully?

That's an impressive route!

A visitor could easily spend a week in Nova Scotia. Besides the whales and puffins, are there any other things you'd like to see? (Enjoy some scallops while you're there.)

If you've got the time, I'd also recommend -- highly recommend -- extending your east-coast travel and visit Newfoundland and Labrador -- you could take one of two ferries from North Sydney, Cape Breton Island. It's a great part of Canada, for sure, and a truly unique corner of the world.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.
08-04-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Then drive to Nova Scotia looking for whales and/or puffins, drive back down to Niagra Falls, continue west through Michigan along the Great Lakes, on through the mid-west to Yellow Stone, head south to Grand Canyon then decide on either Yosemite or go back south/east through New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, MS, Alabama, GA to I85 to I95 to home.

Take your time, that is a trip that should take many, many months.
Drive safe.
You really should go through New Mexico. Santa Fe is especially nice. Try to take in the Festival of Zozobra.
Do you camp? Drive a motor home or RV?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 08-04-2019 at 08:54 PM.
08-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I may be a bit too ambitious.

---------- Post added 08-05-19 at 01:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Besides the whales and puffins, are there any other things you'd like to see?
Not really.

---------- Post added 08-05-19 at 01:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Not even.

08-05-2019, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #5

We did something similar, counter-clockwise, from Phoenix, through the US, in a small motor-home. Took nine months. Sounds like a great trip to me. We stayed off the interstate highways, two lane black top only. I'd suggest getting all the way to Washington's Cape Disappointment and Northern California's Red Woods if your going to Yosemite. Happy travels, have fun. A K1 could serve you well, bring the K3 though. Oh, And if you get by Austin Minnesota the Spam Museum is a hoot.
08-05-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Take your time, that is a trip that should take many, many months.
Drive safe.
You really should go through New Mexico. Santa Fe is especially nice. Try to take in the Festival of Zozobra.
Not even.
Too bad. Staying in hotels is just about the worst way to see the Southwest. There is nothing like sitting watching satellites under the stars in Kodachrome Basin, watching the sun go down in Monument valley or camping under the giant trees on the Washington coast.
08-05-2019, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

When are you leaving? You might start early enough to get to Nova Scotia okay, but winter can hit Yellowstone hard and early.

How much time do you have? That seems overly ambitious for one trip. You'll be driving for over 100 hours. That trip could easily be divided into 3 separate vacations, returning home each time:
  1. Northeast, primarily Nova Scotia. Consider adding Portland, Maine or Acadia National Park to break up the drive. Avoid winter unless you like driving in snow.
  2. Northwest, primarily Yellowstone. You can drive through Niagara and Michigan. Consider stops in western South Dakota; Badlands National Park, Custer State Park, other things in the Black Hills region. Avoid winter unless you like extreme cold and driving in snow.
  3. South. Grand Canyon, others sites in AZ and NM, Texas, Louisiana, etc. If you skip the north rim of the Grand Canyon you can do this during winter - you might get some snow at the south rim but it stays open all year. Summer is IMO too hot for the Grand Canyon.
Are you driving solo, with another photographer, or with family members who might get cranky if you take too much time photographing? On vacations I'll sometimes wake for sunrise while my wife sleeps, then meet her for breakfast at a more normal waking hour.

Allow at least 3 days at the highlight destinations. This gives you maneuvering room in case of bad photography weather. I wouldn't consider spending anything less than a full week in Yellowstone.