Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heading out....

A brief farewell, I'll be off grid for 19 days....

Taking the K-1 and Tesa with her K-5, and a Nikon 130 AW for in the boat.(The fact that I can recharge it from my solar panel is a huge plus.)

The DA 55-300, DFA 28-105, 21 ltd. DA 35 2.4, and 100 macro and a SIrui 105 lightweight tripod. 77 kms paddling, over 20 km of portages., the most noticeable being named "Heart Attack hill."

I'm sure I'll have lots of photo when I get back. We are taking 7 batteries and an extra 100 gigs of memory cards, and a solar recharging system for AAs and AAAs for flashlights, one of the cameras, GPS and phone or iPad as well as a Spot emergency system. Altogether 19 days. And yes we have someone to water the flowers in case you were thinking of volunteering.

08-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you taking the dogs too or do you have someone to look after while you're gone?

Sounds like a fun time. Is this a vacation or business?
08-08-2019, 09:42 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Are you taking the dogs too or do you have someone to look after while you're gone?

Sounds like a fun time. Is this a vacation or business?
This is vacation, made possible by Tess taking out clients last week. We work 5 days, that pays for 3 weeks.
We are leaving 2 dogs....already 54 pounds in dog food for the early portages. And 4 dogs are crazy stupid together in a boat, never again. One jumps over the side for some reason and they all go. Then you have 15 minutes rounding them up and getting them back in the boat. We'll take Tripper an Misty and they'll be close to us and on leashes. We can both handle one dog each in a boat.

This is our first real trip since my hip replacement, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Tia and Jesse are really good friends, they'll be able to comfort each other while we're gone, and they have weeks of experience staying at Rick's place.

Tell whatever mod looks after me these days they can take a break.

Tess' client trip. At the end of the trip we'll be coming home on the same water taxi. And that's our new light weight red canoe.

Last edited by normhead; 08-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.
08-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck Norm,look forward to you sharing the photos.

08-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope it still feels lightweight after the portages. I tried to pick up my completed wood canvas canoe. It was supposed to be 75ish pounds , feels like 100 pounds, definitely not putting that on my shoulders.

The water taxi is an interesting all-wood construction. Open gunwales and ribs like a canoe, looks like cedar planks glued up with fiberglass like a cedar strip canoe.
08-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sounds like u need this vacation,

I can understand dogs playing follow the leader jumping out of the boat.

Can't wait to see all those photos you two are going to take.

Be careful and stay safe.
08-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Advantage: Film

IMO using film cameras would make things so much easier...

Enjoy the trip,
Chris

08-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey I'm back, what did I miss?

For anyone who has been out with us on the Water taxi, and remembers Mat the driver, he's off today ex[ectig his second child. It's the first time in 10 years a driver other than Mat has taken us up or dropped us off.
08-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey I'm back, what did I miss?
Not much! The usual Pentax is Doomed crowd is out and about, but a bit quieter than normal, but the Pentax is developing something for me too slowly crowd is getting louder as the year progresses, so all in all, not much different than when you left!
Hope you had a good time and enjoyed the peace and quiet.
08-28-2019, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not much! The usual Pentax is Doomed crowd is out and about, but a bit quieter than normal, but the Pentax is developing something for me too slowly crowd is getting louder as the year progresses, so all in all, not much different than when you left!
Hope you had a good time and enjoyed the peace and quiet.
Funny, I didn't think once about those topics while I was away.
I let Tess plan this trip, by day 10 I was ready to use the emergency beacon for a fly out and just pay the ridiculous emergency (if they don't have to take you to a hospital you pay thousands) rescue fee and eat mac and cheese till next year. But I didn't and we made it out.

We had incredibly high highs, incredibly low lows. Link to a long trip report will follow, when we get it done.

Last edited by normhead; 08-28-2019 at 12:56 PM.
08-28-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Glad you survived the trip! Got any good photos of that water taxi? It looks like a beauty with cedar strip (?) construction...
08-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Eagerly awaiting the news about the trip

glad you all got back in one piece
08-28-2019, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Glad you survived the trip! Got any good photos of that water taxi? It looks like a beauty with cedar strip (?) construction...
Algonquin Outfitters has three or four of these Cedar Strips, I believe they are made in Powassin Ontario. I'll get specifics if you want. We are pretty good friends with the owners of Algonquin Outfitters, and their employees. Jimmy the owner gives me a 10% discount I didn't even ask for. I've played volley ball with Chris and Mat, a couple of their employees.

My favourite image....
08-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks for the pic, she’s a beautiful boat... If I was in the market it’d be nice to have one, but I’m not.
08-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save your money for the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show, there will be plenty of opportunities!