Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ebay "increase your offer" message

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

While I was considering making a Best Offer on an ebay item today, I received some advice:

Name:  10b (offer advice from ebay).jpg
Views: 8854
Size:  130.4 KB

I've never sold on ebay, but I've been a buyer for about 10 years. And I make Best Offers several times each year. Yet, I've never seen that "increase" message before.

My Best Offers are typically 75-80% of the seller's Buy It Now price. In this case though, the seller is being excessively optimistic, in my opinion.

Regardless, is this a new message? Or is it just new to me? And I wonder if it's a feature sellers can choose to add to their listings? Or is it simply ebay unilaterally trying to boost their bottom line?

Anyone know about this?

08-15-2019, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen this too. It now occurs in some but not all Make Offer listings.
I ignore it and make an offer for a little under the maximum I am willing to pay.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.
08-15-2019, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not seen it, but typically I wouldn't. I almost exclusively use a sniping service when bidding on items - so I set the absolute maximum amount I'd be prepared to pay for the item, and the number of seconds before auction close at which I want the tool to place my bid. Then, I can get on with my day. If I win the item, that's great. If I'm outbid and lose the item, I might be slightly disappointed, but console myself by knowing that I wasn't tempted to pay more than I felt was reasonable - and none of my time was wasted by manually monitoring and bidding on the item
08-15-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not a big user of ebay but I have never seen it before

If I did, I would cancel my bid

08-15-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've seen this too. Iit now occurs in some but not all Make Offer listings.
I ignore it and make an offer for a little under the maximum I am willing to pay.

Chris
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not a big user of ebay but I have never seen it before

If I did, I would cancel my bid

Thanks, guys. I didn't actually submit a bid yet - still pondering...

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've not seen it, but typically I wouldn't. I almost exclusively use a sniping service when bidding on items . . .

Words of wisdom, BMC. I do the same for auctions.
But sometimes a scarce item is available only as Buy It Now / Best Offer.

Still, I'm curious to know if the message is coming from the seller or directly from ebay itself?
08-15-2019, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Words of wisdom, BMC. I do the same for auctions.
But sometimes a scarce item is available only as Buy It Now / Best Offer.

Still, I'm curious to know if the message is coming from the seller or directly from ebay itself?
Doh... That'll teach me to ingest what I've read thoroughly before replying

It must be an eBay function. Whether it's something configured by the seller, or an automatic eBay feature, I honestly don't know. That said, I treat my offers like my sniping bids - I offer the maximum I'm prepared to go to, though I do take trouble to thank the seller for considering my offer, and explain that it's my very best. From that point on, I won't go up any further, for the same reasons that I set my maximum bid in sniping.

I'll be interested to see if anyone knows anything more about this...
08-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've used ebay for a couple thing over the years, but never used the "Make offer" option before, though Ive never seen anything Ive wanted with that option lol

08-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost exclusively use a sniping service when bidding on items
Tell me more please!
08-15-2019, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I'm sure it is just ebay throwing statistics at you, knowing the success rates for offers rejected, etc. Just ignore it. They do the same when you list stuff for sale if they think it is too high, and tell you to lower it based on average prices, etc etc.
08-15-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I've used ebay for a couple thing over the years, but never used the "Make offer" option before, though Ive never seen anything Ive wanted with that option lol
You have more self control than I do!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tell me more please!
Here's some (U.S. based) info :
Gixen - Why Snipe?
08-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

I had that message pop up and entered my offer anyway...it was immediately refused. I let the item go. I hate the auto reply "Offer not accepted" ...often times you get the message unless you are within $5 of the asking price. On those few times when I upped my offer until it was accepted (just to see what they would take), I did not follow through with the purchase. An offer isn't a commitment to bid, so I figured they might get the message that I didn't care for the way they listed their item.
08-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

seen it a few times but not every time when making an offer.....usually ignore it and offer what I had in mind
08-15-2019, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I had that message pop up and entered my offer anyway...it was immediately refused. I let the item go. I hate the auto reply on offers...often times you get the message unless you are within $5 of the asking price. On those few times when I upped my offer until it was accepted (just to see what they would take), I did not follow through with the purchase. An offer isn't a commitment to bid, so I figured they might get the message that I didn't care for the way they listed their item.
An offer is absolutely a commitment to BUY if accepted. That's the whole point. But first your offer is just considered and it can be waiting around for the seller to respond -- the seller can ignore it and it will be auto-rejected after a few days or they can explicitly accept or reject it or send a counter-offer faster than that. But if accepted, you are supposed to then pay for the item (and the listing is closed because you bought it!) -- not doing so is exactly the same as winning an auction and then not paying for it.

But there is also auto-rejection and auto-acceptance. So if a seller lists something as Buy It Now with the make offer feature turned on, they can (optionally) fill in amounts for "offers auto-rejected below XXX amount" and "offers auto-accepted if at least XXX amount". But you shouldn't be making fake offers, that's not a thing.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.
08-15-2019, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . .
I'll be interested to see if anyone knows anything more about this...
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm sure it is just ebay throwing statistics at you, knowing the success rates for offers rejected, etc. Just ignore it. They do the same when you list stuff for sale if they think it is too high, and tell you to lower it based on average prices, etc etc.

Yes, I think vonBaloney nailed the focus on this one. Apparently the message is a helping hand from ebay to sellers weary of enduring "low ball" offers from Takumar collectors.

I also asked my question on the ebay community page and received good answers there, too:
Solved: Re: "Increase your offer" message - The eBay Community
08-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I had that message pop up and entered my offer anyway...
. . .
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
seen it a few times but not every time when making an offer.....usually ignore it and offer what I had in mind

Thanks for the replies.

For what it's worth, in my case the threshold for an offer triggering the "increase" message seems to be about 70% of the asking price. The Buy It Now price on the item I was considering was $99.99 and my (prospective) offer was $69.99. But when I bumped up my offer to $70.00, the message went away.