Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I almost exclusively use a sniping service when bidding on items
What sniping service do you use if you don't mind sharing.

08-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
gixen is a good service
08-16-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tell me more please!
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
I've used AuctionStealer: Free Online eBay Auction Sniper successfully for a number of years now. The free service, which is the one I use, has changed a little over time in terms of usage allowance. Currently, it's limited to four auction wins per month, but that's mostly fine for me. Also, it places your bids around 10 seconds before the auction close, but the paid service allows for a much shorter, configurable buffer. It's a very good service, both in free and paid configurations.
08-16-2019, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
But when I bumped up my offer to $70.00, the message went away.
interesting that 0.01 would do the 'trick'......good luck and hope ya score! happy shooting

08-16-2019, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've used AuctionStealer: Free Online eBay Auction Sniper successfully for a number of years now. The free service, which is the one I use, has changed a little over time in terms of usage allowance. Currently, it's limited to four auction wins per month, but that's mostly fine for me. Also, it places your bids around 10 seconds before the auction close, but the paid service allows for a much shorter, configurable buffer. It's a very good service, both in free and paid configurations.
Cool. Thanks fr that Mike. Sniping does not work on Trademe (our favourite local auction site) as auctions automatically extend the closing time of the auction by two minutes if bids are placed within the last two minutes of the auction.
But, seems like a good plan for E-Bay.
08-16-2019, 11:37 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sniping does not work on Trademe (our favourite local auction site) as auctions automatically extend
the closing time of the auction by two minutes if bids are placed within the last two minutes of the auction.

I like that feature/policy. It gives us humans a fair chance!

Chris
08-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
interesting that 0.01 would do the 'trick'......good luck and hope ya score! happy shooting

Thanks, Aaron. If I succeed, I'll let you know.

08-18-2019, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I tend to lowball best offers to have the seller respond back with an offer themselves. A lot of the time it'll be quite a bit below budget, or they'll just accept the lowball offer.

Also sniping services are pointless in my eyes, as long as you have a good internet connection you can easily snipe yourself.
08-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You're offer is significantly lower than the asking price (30.00 under what the seller listed the item for), that is why you received that message. Ignore the message and bid what you are willing to spend.
08-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I tend to lowball best offers to have the seller respond back with an offer themselves. A lot of the time it'll be quite a bit below budget, or they'll just accept the lowball offer.

Also sniping services are pointless in my eyes, as long as you have a good internet connection you can easily snipe yourself.
They are good when you are not going to be around to do it, or just don't want to bother.
08-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool. Thanks fr that Mike. Sniping does not work on Trademe (our favourite local auction site) as auctions automatically extend the closing time of the auction by two minutes if bids are placed within the last two minutes of the auction.
But, seems like a good plan for E-Bay.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I like that feature/policy. It gives us humans a fair chance!

Chris
Sniping tools are only detrimental to human bidders if they're bidding reactively and incrementally. The best strategy when doing things manually is to place just one bid as near to the auction close as possible and for the *maximum* amount you're prepared to pay, then leave well alone (sniping manually, as it were, albeit with less of a time advantage).

The real value of using a sniping tool is to take the emotion out of your bidding - i.e. to stop you bidding above the limit you decided rationally - and to avoid letting others see that you're bidding, and what you're prepared to pay, until the closing seconds of the auction. In this latter respect, it's leveraging the fact that most folks bid reactively and incrementally...
08-19-2019, 02:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

A lot of people don't have good internet and/or don't want to sit around watching an ebay auction when it is close to completion. Otherwise, you are correct about sniping services.
08-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, due to the bad influence everybody here is (lol) I decided to try the "make an offer" option on a Rikenon K mount lens Ive been on the lookout for a while, now to see if the seller accepts or not.
09-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Thanks for the replies.

For what it's worth, in my case the threshold for an offer triggering the "increase" message seems to be about 70% of the asking price. The Buy It Now price on the item I was considering was $99.99 and my (prospective) offer was $69.99. But when I bumped up my offer to $70.00, the message went away.

As a long time member on ebay, I do on occasion receive the same notification. I am confident that it is exclusively generated by ebay alone. Not to change the subject, but

the one that I find utterly absurd and somewhat insulting is the notice that an item offered for sale at, let's say $39.99 is now trending towards $48.99. Some members

actually buy into this strategy. The fact of the matter is, once a seller posts an item at a specific price, it cannot be adjusted in any way. Well, there is the exception of

removing the listing. It all comes back to the old adage: Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware.

TT
09-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Well, due to the bad influence everybody here is (lol) I decided to try the "make an offer" option on a Rikenon K mount lens Ive been on the lookout for a while, now to see if the seller accepts or not.
Oh yeah, update on this. The lens (a Ricoh Rikenon XR 35mm f2.8) the person was selling was priced at $37, I made an offer of $25, which the message of "psst, the seller may like it if you upped the offe amount" which I ignored, and the seller agreed to my offer.