Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Initiating action via PayPal

fellow users.

just wanted to ask around.

Any of you ever initiated action via PayPal, to claim funds back from a dishonest seller?

Just plain bad luck to have dealt with a seller i think is plain dishonest.
And even if he wasn't being dishonest, definitely is being unreasonable.

Bought a lens from this seller in Oz.
When asked, seller indicated lens does not have mould.
So fine. No fungus, good.

Lens arrived.
Found anomalies.
Brought to Tamron service centre and technician there checked and confirmed there be numerous fungus spots all over.

Seller now being ludicrous.
Claiming i am part of international scammers trying to scam money.

If this chap continues to be unreasonable, i will open a case with PayPal under Buyer protection.

But just wondering if it will be worth the effort as it seems like a long drawn out affair.

Hope to hear from others who may have had similar experiences.

08-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
fellow users.

Any of you ever initiated action via PayPal, to claim funds back from a dishonest seller?

Lens arrived.
Found anomalies.
Brought to Tamron service centre and technician there checked and confirmed there be numerous fungus spots all over.

If this chap continues to be unreasonable, i will open a case with PayPal under Buyer protection.

But just wondering if it will be worth the effort as it seems like a long drawn out affair.

A purchase here in marketplace, or elsewhere?
08-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Paypal oftentimes sides with the buyer. You should go ahead and start a dispute, which will give the seller the opportunity to accept a refund. A message to the seller with this request would also be appropriate.

If the seller doesn't cooperate, the dispute can then be escalated to a claim, which will involve paypal reviewing what went wrong and making a decision.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
fellow users.

Lens arrived.
Found anomalies.

Generally a Paypal dispute is not particularly long and drawn out. After the Buyer makes their case, the Seller has a few days to respond, and then Paypal may take up to a few days to make their decision. As @Adam noted, Paypal usually sides with the Buyer, even if the Seller did everything correctly.

08-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks much Adam and luftfluss, for the info.

Now i wait for seller's response.
If nothing is forthcoming and seller continues to deny everything, will start action.

Nope, the lens wasnt from fellow Forum member.
I have bought some lenses from other Forum members and they have all been very honest sellers, described conditions as they are, and i am very thankful and appreciate that much.

I am not into public shaming of any sort.

But if any fellow Forum member would like to know who is the pax, just pm me.

I sure hope no one else got to go through what i am going through now.
08-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happened to me, but not with photography related items. I ordered a DVD for my son that was never shipped. Paypal decided in my favor and refunded me. One thing I made sure to do was use Paypal's "contact seller" function for any correspondence so Paypal had a copy of all communication and they could review as part of my claim. In my case, the seller never responded to any of my communications, so it was pretty painless - just took some time to work through the process and wait for the time limits to expire.
08-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I am currently in an on-going dispute (via Ebay) with a seller who claims that, even though I have not received the item, since the courier states the item has been delivered, I am being 'dishonest'. it is not a large amount of money, and has probably cost the seller more that the item is worth in time and trouble attempting to avoid their responsibilities under English law (the law in Scotland may be different). The seller is responding to my communications, but in a more and more ludicrous fashion - the item was allegedly not sent via the Postal System, for instance, yet the seller suggests I ask at the Post Office ! It is certainly worth pursuing any claim, however small, if only for the entertainment value.

08-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I am currently in an on-going dispute (via Ebay) with a seller who claims that, even though I have not received the item, since the courier states the item has been delivered, I am being 'dishonest'. it is not a large amount of money, and has probably cost the seller more that the item is worth in time and trouble attempting to avoid their responsibilities under English law (the law in Scotland may be different). The seller is responding to my communications, but in a more and more ludicrous fashion - the item was allegedly not sent via the Postal System, for instance, yet the seller suggests I ask at the Post Office ! It is certainly worth pursuing any claim, however small, if only for the entertainment value.
If the courier claims delivery took place, they should also be able to advise where it was delivered. Was it signature required?
08-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Had a dispute with a seller on ebay, he agreed to refund half the cash, never happened he just ignored any communications. Took it up with ebay and they said I left it too long......reason it was left was trying to get the seller to cooperate. Ebay suggested I take it up with Paypal but I just gave up in the end. £20 wasnt worth the headache so I just slammed the seller with bad feedback and hope it puts others off dealing with someone who is dishonest.

It doesnt happen often but its very annoying when scumbags get away with it.
08-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
Banned

The most i did at paypal was to pay and receive money.
08-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had no trouble with obtaining a refund from Paypal.
Exchange messages with the vendor, advise Paypal that the sale went awry and there was no satisfactory outcome (inc full details!!), and wait for the refund. Easy.
08-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well if you dont mind sitting in telephone hold queues it might be but I was on the phone for near on 90 minutes with ebay only to be told I’d need to call Paypal, called Paypal but the office was closed....despite running a global internet business they shut up shop and go home at 6 , called the following day and was in a hold queue for what seemed like geologic time.....gave up. Lifes too short without wasting it trying to recover a few quid from scum.