Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is DPReview just Hopelessly Anti-Pentax?

I was looking over their "Best Camera Bargains of 2019" and they have listed the Nikon D750 for $1496, body only.

Now, the Pentax K-1 is a better full-frame camera in many aspects, and can be had new for less than $200 more. There are several other cameras there which don't measure up to the equivalent Pentaxes in price or quality, and I feel like Pentax should have at least been mentioned.

I suppose this is just a slight rant. Thanks for listening.

09-09-2019, 07:51 AM - 7 Likes   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Is DPReview just Hopelessly Anti-Pentax?
Umm, yes.
09-09-2019, 07:57 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just Amazon's camera marketing department.
09-09-2019, 10:23 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I'm a stalwart Pentaxian of excellent standing for lo these many years. But on occasion I have seriously considered jumping to another camp...Nikon or Canon. In the early '70's I came perilously close to going Nikon, when I came across a new Nikon Photomic F body with a Nikkor F 1.4 'normal' lens. I hemmed and I hawed...but eventually got a Pentax ES ll, as I really liked the technology that that camera featured.

I almost went Canon in 2007, but the the Pentax K10D came out, which was/is really a top notch camera for it's era and still very good.

When the Pentax K1 came out, I was again dithering as to get either a Nikon D750, a Canon 5D3 or the K1. I asked a trusted, knowledgeable individual in the camera industry who had no Pentax ties and asked him what to do?

He said without a moment of hesitation, get the K1, it's the better camera. I did and am very happy. When you look at the D750 vs the K1...what choice is there ? The K1 has a better sensor, shutter rated at many more shutter actuation's that the D750, the K1 is built like a tank...a weather resistant tank at that...the list goes on.

Yep the Nikon system is quite something and they have more modern day 3rd party lenses available, flash system is highly regarded, etc...

My 2 cents.

09-09-2019, 10:48 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax perplexes those that grew up on the available brands. Pentax doesn't use "influencers" and there is zero "churn" from the internet to review and comment about. The lenses and pretty much the entire Pentax line is mature and a few things come and go without much fanfare. DPReview - as in "Review" - would go under if they waited around for something from Pentax to review and fuss about. Naturally, not much about Pentax fits with a site that is about comparisons and reviews and details and such. You buy a Pentax to take still photographs. You might do some video, but the focus on Pentax is still photography, and "field" photography at that. Since the industry is very much into cameras that do both video and stills, Pentax once again is not up to the challenge of being talked about. So yeah, DPReview is hopelessly anti-Pentax or at best indifferent to what Pentax offers.
09-09-2019, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DP Review likes small (MILC camera bodies), high end video (in MILC camera bodies), fast frame rates (in MILC camera bodies), and instantaneous auto focus (in MILC camera bodies). It is not surprising that they tend to review a camera brand that isn't tech heavy, continues to release SLR cameras, and doesn't focus on video pretty harshly.

Every review, DP manages to get a few digs in at Pentax's auto focus, large size of its cameras or whatever.

About the only thing the D750 brings to play (other than accessories) is 6.5 fps versus the 4.5 of the K-1. But DP Review couldn't possibly give an award to the K-1 II after they spent time raking it over the coals for the terrible, horrible accelerator chip that Pentax used in it.
09-09-2019, 11:34 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Donkey Pee Review isn't worth the paper it's not written on.

09-09-2019, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just Amazon's camera marketing department.
Yes, that's right. Amazon purchasers negotiate deals with all their suppliers. For cameras, DPR job is to stimulate camera/lens sales according to amazon sales goals, DPR have to promote models that have the largest potential in terms of sales for amazon. That's why for example, DPR did almost nothing for Hasselblad, while they promoted Fuji a lot more.
09-09-2019, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love dpreview, but it is a website that survives on pushing new gear, and inciting flame wars between fanboys. As far as I can tell, most Pentaxians seem too focused on taking pictures to give them much traffic.
09-09-2019, 11:10 PM - 6 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It could be argued that Pentax is anti-DPR, or at least refusing to play their game.

Personally, I'm OK with that. I use the former, and not the latter.
09-12-2019, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I think Pentax is just an easy target for them since the userbase is smaller. It's basically their comic relief, and they do anything to set them up to fall.
09-13-2019, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a dependable ClickLanche when they pan a Pentax product. The fact that they seem to set up their tests and reviews to cause Pentax to fail only increases the intnesity PF the response.
09-14-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago, before I purchased my K-5, I read DP Review. Once I got my hands on a K-5 and a K-30 to try out, I purchased a K-5 for myself, and a K30 for my daughter. I stopped reading DPReview shortly thereafter.

More properly, PF needs a thread titled "Is time spent whinging about DPReview's opinion of Pentax better spent doing anything else?" The only comments following would be "Yes", or something similar.
09-14-2019, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the DPR comment section Sony/Canon/Nikon brand loyalist battles are also of Lord of the Rings type epic proportions - quite entertaining as long as the Pentax hobbits are left out to get on quietly with their mission.

Last edited by ffking; 09-15-2019 at 11:10 PM.
09-18-2019, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think Pentax is just an easy target for them since the userbase is smaller. It's basically their comic relief, and they do anything to set them up to fall.
This is pretty darn close to being spot on. The only thing I would add is that many over there lack a sense of humor.