Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I was looking over their "Best Camera Bargains of 2019" and they have listed the Nikon D750 for $1496, body only.

Now, the Pentax K-1 is a better full-frame camera in many aspects, and can be had new for less than $200 more. There are several other cameras there which don't measure up to the equivalent Pentaxes in price or quality, and I feel like Pentax should have at least been mentioned.

I suppose this is just a slight rant. Thanks for listening.
There is no match to the K1 in terms of price and quality, and I am getting tired of DP after all these years, there are too much of Sony very boring I rarely stop by now.

12-15-2019, 03:40 AM   #32

I thought the reason they didn't talk about it is because they were only talking about cameras released in 2019.
Then I realized the Nikon is from 2014.

Last edited by noealz; 12-15-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Mistake
12-15-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax is just their scapegoat. If they focus on perceived or fabricated shortcomings of pentax they can redirect focus away from the big players shortcomings and issues. Its an age old trick used by bullies and control freaks.
AL
12-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's more than that.

When someone comes up with something that Pentax doesn't have, Pentax gets criticized.

When Pentax comes up with something no one else has, it's unimportant.

When someone else adds that something which Pentax invented, it's suddenly all-important and the new company "totally invented it" or does it better.
It is funny that when Pentax added pixel shift to their cameras, DP Review released an article where they showed how terrible it was and how it created artifacts in a waterfall scene. Never mind that there were programs out there that could get rid of the motion artifacts. They ended up saying that it was only useful for still life photography and totally static scenes (not true).

Later, when Sony added the exact same feature, but in a more clunky fashion, they spoke glowingly about what it brought to the table with an article titled, "Sony A7r III Pixel Shift Lifts a Veil Off Your Landscapes." Is it a double standard? Hard to say.

To me, it feels like Sony is the pretty girl at the bar and Pentax is the ugly one. When Sony tells a joke, DP Review laughs hysterically, even if it isn't very funny. When Pentax tells the same joke, at best DP Review chuckles a bit and then looks back to see what the beautiful Sony is doing.

12-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things have changed. I switched from Canon to the K-5 not least because of Pentax K-5 Review: Digital Photography Review and never looked back.
12-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Pentax is just their scapegoat. If they focus on perceived or fabricated shortcomings of pentax they can redirect focus away from the big players shortcomings and issues. Its an age old trick used by bullies and control freaks.
AL
There are no bad cameras these days. Some are leaning one direction, others another, but there's nothing bad out there. You can take great photos with all of them.

Now if a reviewer sees video as sort of important, Pentax is just going to do terrible for him (and rightfully so). Someone with a strong video focus will probably love the Sigma fp, if your focus is on stills, that lack of mechanical shutter (wtf?) is going to kill it. Then a Pentax is going to do much better. IMHO dpreview wants to recommend allrounders, which seems reasonable if you don't know who you are recommending cameras for. And Pentax sadly doesn't do that anymore. Now, why that D750, which isn't particularly good for video either was picked, who knows. At least it is cheaper...?

Also, Pentax can be faulted for not bringing that much new to the table. They make very solid stills cameras, but few shots can be gotten with a Pentax that you can't get with pretty much any competitor. But those can offer significantly better video. That makes Pentax easy to pick on AND hard to recommend, because you need to be sure that needs are not going to change. Heck, even ergonomics, a Pentax strong point, has been dodgy for a few of their models, while I am in love with Panasonics high end MFT offerings which are at least as good and intuitive in terms of ergonomics.

Btw., that K-5 review also helped me purchase the K-5, although I was already shooting a Pentax DSLR before that (again, influenced by reviews).
12-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I was looking over their "Best Camera Bargains of 2019" and they have listed the Nikon D750 for $1496, body only.

Now, the Pentax K-1 is a better full-frame camera in many aspects, and can be had new for less than $200 more. There are several other cameras there which don't measure up to the equivalent Pentaxes in price or quality, and I feel like Pentax should have at least been mentioned.

I think it is based on what camera likely to get more click and actual $ale for the website rater than if they hate Pentax or any brands.

12-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Later, when Sony added the exact same feature, but in a more clunky fashion, they spoke glowingly about what it brought to the table with an article titled, "Sony A7r III Pixel Shift Lifts a Veil Off Your Landscapes." Is it a double standard? Hard to say.
Not that hard to say, I would argue...
12-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I visited frequently dpreview site, until I read this page
Why we haven't taken a stance on in-body stabilization vs OIS - and why that has changed: Digital Photography Review

Stabilization is a main feature of a camera, it makes a big difference in its use, just like AF or WR. Their reviews always take into account minor features as battery life or VF coverage. Suddenly discovering the importance of stabilization makes someone ask what influences their methodology.
12-17-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
I visited frequently dpreview site, until I read this page
Why we haven't taken a stance on in-body stabilization vs OIS - and why that has changed: Digital Photography Review

Stabilization is a main feature of a camera, it makes a big difference in its use, just like AF or WR. Their reviews always take into account minor features as battery life or VF coverage. Suddenly discovering the importance of stabilization makes someone ask what influences their methodology.
At the time when only Pentax offered in-body IS, DPReview claimed everywhere that stabilizing the sensor made no sense because yuo didn't see the stabilization in the viewfinder.

That website has an editorial line to

1-pick on the little guy
2-advertize while masquerading as "performing reviews"

That's their business model. We can agree or not. The best thing we can do is ignore them, because every time their website is mentioned, a fairy dies and they get an extra point on google's algorithm.
12-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
At the time when only Pentax offered in-body IS, DPReview claimed everywhere that stabilizing the sensor made no sense because yuo didn't see the stabilization in the viewfinder.

That website has an editorial line to

1-pick on the little guy
2-advertize while masquerading as "performing reviews"

That's their business model. We can agree or not. The best thing we can do is ignore them, because every time their website is mentioned, a fairy dies and they get an extra point on google's algorithm.
There has never been a "time when only Pentax offered in-body IS". Minolta offered it first, Pentax and Olympus offered it pretty much simultaneously, Sony continued it from Minolta.
12-17-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Dpreview....Pentax
This is the website that did not include the K1 in a review of similar cameras...because....wait for it....
It wasn’t expensive enough! Their review started at a higher price point so a FF Pentax could not be included. I was on a plane reading this....probably a good thing..otherwise I would have opened a window and screamed.
12-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
There has never been a "time when only Pentax offered in-body IS". Minolta offered it first, Pentax and Olympus offered it pretty much simultaneously, Sony continued it from Minolta.
That is just how I remember it.
Actually, when I bought my K10D I spent some time considering also a 4/3 Olympus. I chose the Pentax after keeping them in my hands, the K10D was "a tank", as someone said in another discussion, the Olympus looked like a toy.
12-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Pentax doesn't release three bodies and five lenses every year. DPReview doesn't like that, I suppose.
12-17-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

I don't think DP Review is overly biased against Pentax.

Their are lots of camera and lens makers out there. They can't review all of them, so they must focus on the more popular brands. If Pentax sales volume were to significantly grow, I'm sure they'd not omit Pentax in their reviews.