Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
a perfect world were everyone farts rainbows and spits soda pop
bahahaha!

09-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I think where they say "we offer constructive criticism" they use "offer" to mean "provide" which according to the Cambridge dictionary is an acceptable meaning.
That's what I was thinking, too.
09-17-2019, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the others are right when the rules say "we offer constructive criticism here," they are really saying "we give critical comments of the images here, even if you just want positive comments." At least that's the way I would read it.

Pentax Forums is a bit different in that there is a specific section where you can post images requesting critique. The rest of the Forum if you can't think of something nice to say about an image, you're best to keep silent -- or maybe private message the person, but certainly don't criticize them on the thread.

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was searching for. Again, in a nutshell, I would not have minded the criticism if it were first offered in writing and I gave my

consent or approval. Let's face it, photography is not easy, even for the most talented, gifted and experienced of us. It takes a lot of hard work, labor of love in a sense, so

when I or anyone else has adjusted an image to their liking and wishes to share amongst friends/other photographers, unless an image is uploaded into a Critique Section,

don't offer it. Not only respect the image, but more importantly, respect the person who did the hard work. Thanks for your contribution.

Tony
09-17-2019, 02:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Sure, maybe in a perfect world were everyone farts rainbows and spits soda pop.

Have you been on the internet?
Well, that's just my own approach. You of course are free to behave like a jackass.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 09-17-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: two many that's
09-17-2019, 03:25 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Well, that's that's just my own approach. You of course are free to behave like a jackass.
It's not me, but thanks for the judgement call. I thought you were dead set against such behavior?

Try putting your words of wisdom into action.

I'll end this right here, I do not have time to waste on such silliness nor do I deal with those who toss around ad hominem as a rebuttal.
09-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian

It's not me, but thanks for the judgement call. I thought you were dead set against such behavior?

I'll end this right here, I do not have time to waste on such silliness nor do I deal with those who toss around ad hominem as a rebuttal.
Have a great day!
09-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Having a little trouble with "offered" criticism there are you Kevin?
09-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Having a little trouble with "offered" criticism there are you Kevin?
None, what makes you ask that? Have you read the statements I made?

I do not deal in ad hominen, nor hypocrisy. Go back and actually read what I posted. I have nothing against criticism, I rarely offer it, but I expect it and accept it.

When one post that they believe in being kind and never offending others, then turns around and offers a rebuttal based on character and not the content, then I have a problem. My rebuttal was a generalization of the activity on the internet and nothing more. I'm responding directly to you, because it is obvious you have not read what I have previously posted and you are making assumptions. As for the person I was addressing in your quote, I firmly stand by what you quoted, and I stand by my actions of ending the conversation where it stood. It's the best way I know to cope with this stuff on the internet.

QuoteQuote:
People will offer their opinions freely and with little regard to the outcome. I'm not sure there is a way to stop it, but we can learn to cope with it.
I won't be sucked into a rabbit hole on this silliness. It's one of the best way's to deal with criticism, and that's exactly what I offered in my initial reply to this thread. So, I consider this done from my end. If it carries any further it will be done so with no reply's from me.

Last edited by kevinWE; 09-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.
09-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #39
Pentaxian

None, what makes you ask that? Have you read the statements I made?

I do not deal in ad hominen, nor hypocrisy. Go back and actually read what I posted. I have nothing against criticism, I rarely offer it, but I expect it and accept it.

When one post that they believe in being kind and never offending others, then turns around and offers a rebuttal based on character and not the content, then I have a problem. My rebuttal was a generalization of the activity on the internet and nothing more. I'm responding directly to you, because it is obvious you have not read what I have previously posted and you are making assumptions. As for the person I was addressing in your quote, I firmly stand by what you quoted, and I stand by my actions of ending the conversation where it stood. It's the best way I know to cope with this stuff on the internet.

I won't be sucked into a rabbit hole on this silliness. It's one of the best way's to deal with criticism, and that's exactly what I offered in my initial reply to this thread. So, I consider this done from my end. If it carries any further it will be done so with no reply's from me.
Carefull, there are some on the forum who once you admit that will fill up the thread with cheap shots directed your way.
I've tried it, it hasn't always worked out.
09-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #40

To paraphrase Alexander Pope....

Its hard to say if greater want of skill
appear in shooting or in judging ill
But of the two less serious is the offence
to tire our patience than mislead our sense.

I almost never put pics up here, or anywhere else for that matter unless I am being paid.

Do I fear criticism ? Nope.....I made a lot of cash out of my professional work and thats the only real critique I care about.
Any experienced creative should know that the only standard that really counts is cash and/or your own passion. Opinions come from sycophants or a haters in most cases. The exception being people who, in your own opinion, do better work in your field and who can trust with your life, their opinions may carry some weight.

Do I need to improve ? Everybody does but I know a good pic when I see one. Self criticism is a skill in itself and a good creative is mostly just someone with good judgement about their own output. Others opinion is mostly irrelevant. Even Beethoven faced criticism of his later works by people who couldnt see what he was getting at for another 50 years and we all know what the story was with van Gogh.

Do I screw up ? Yep but a person who makes no mistakes makes nothing at all and its sometimes in the mistakes we learn our most important lessons. Failure is the best teacher of all.

Do I look at others work and think ‘wow’ or ‘ugh’ ? All the time but I am far too polite to comment unless asked and I would always preface that by ‘in my opinion.....’ because thats all I have. Only time and God are capable of judging. Us mortals are better off considering f stops.

I just feel I am me, I need neither praise nor critique. I do what I do because I like it, if others like it or hate it thats their issue not mine. When photography made me unhappy I stopped doing it. I have done that twice in my life and each pause has been a learning experience.

Thats my two penneth