Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #46
Pentaxian

In previous competitions, as now, I have limited my responses to those that really contribute, which is what the contests are about. Spamming the forum with rubbish I think shows a lack of respect for other users who then have to wade through it to find the good posts. Perhaps the minimum word/character limit should be increased during competition time to alleviate the problem?

10-03-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
In previous competitions, as now, I have limited my responses to those that really contribute, which is what the contests are about. Spamming the forum with rubbish I think shows a lack of respect for other users who then have to wade through it to find the good posts. Perhaps the minimum word/character limit should be increased during competition time to alleviate the problem?
depends on your definitions doesn't it

QuoteQuote:
Spamming the forum with rubbish

saying hello to new members

posting comments on this type of thread or others ?

commenting on others' photos ?

entering contests such as the alpha bet thread or caption contest

what is " rubbish " ?

and who decides ?
10-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.
would it not be better to

understand the person who asks the question ?
10-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
would it not be better to

understand the person who asks the question ?
Sometimes a stranger known to us for moments can spark our souls to kinship for eternity. But to know a man can also risk great pain.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-03-2019 at 06:19 AM.
10-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey, don't judge me, hehe. I love reading and looking at pictures posted here, but I'm shy and don't write a lot.
10-03-2019, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i like having more people involved with the Forum. When things are really quiet, it is more like Tom Hanks talking to Wilson -- better than nothing, but certainly not super-stimulating.

At the same time, when people are just posting lots of posts with nothing really in them, it gets annoying to wade through as well. The thing is that once the give aways are done, things pretty much go back to the "usuals" posting again.
10-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
i like having more people involved with the Forum. When things are really quiet, it is more like Tom Hanks talking to Wilson -- better than nothing, but certainly not super-stimulating.

At the same time, when people are just posting lots of posts with nothing really in them, it gets annoying to wade through as well. The thing is that once the give aways are done, things pretty much go back to the "usuals" posting again.
I would treat this thread as an exception. No one is trying to hide why they take part in it, right? It isn't intended to be educational.
Posting junk in otherwise helpful, instructional, or camera/lens-centric threads is another issue and I don't want those muddied anymore than you and other regulars do.

This one will disappear into obscurity once the contest comes to an end, but lens discussions won't so we shouldn't have to separate wheat from chaff later on.

10-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes a stranger known to us for moments can spark our souls to kinship for eternity. But to know a man can also risk great pain.
That is so deep, it is only illuminated by the lights on the noses of fish
10-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
Pet peeve - people who put spaces before punctuation marks.
In French, you're supposed to put a space before : . But not before ; . Go figure.
10-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I completely agree with aslyfox in that we cannot say what constitutes rubbish, only that TO ME it doesn't contribute anything I also totally agree with Gatorguy thatthreads like this purely serve a brief purpose but lens discussions will still be treated with the same gravitas as before. One thing I also believe is that whilst these competitions draw more spam the people posting are also more likely to get involved and contribute to a serious thread
10-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my opinion only, YMMV

threads like this exists during contests to build post counts

and isn't that what some are complaining about

members building post counts during contests ?
10-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

my opinion only, YMMV

threads like this exists during contests to build post counts

and isn't that what some are complaining about

members building post counts during contests ?
and... ?
A thread like this where everything is chaff is fine as far as you are concerned, especially during post-count times? I don't think anyone is actually complaining about this one, nor should they IMO
10-03-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Post number 22. Only 78 more to go...
10-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

and... ?
A thread like this where everything is chaff is fine as far as you are concerned, especially during post-count times? I don't think anyone is actually complaining about this one, nor should they IMO
I don't complain about what others choose to post

if someone chooses to start a thread, regardless of topic, I have no complaint

will I contribute to it

well that depends

a reaction to a thread you start could surprise you

the reaction to this one has surprised me: Pollinators in action - PentaxForums.com
10-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

what is " rubbish " ?

and who decides ?
Sometimes the mods will warn people directly when a pattern is noted. Right now there are almost a thousand new posts (yesterday at this time there were about 4,000) where usually there might be a few hundred. Lets hope they are posts with higher quality than what I saw yesterday.

Steve