Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I don't use the "ignore list" feature. It would take a lot for me to put someone on the ignore list.

10-08-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
No, I don't use the "ignore list" feature. It would take a lot for me to put someone on the ignore list.
That is because you are just too nice a person Carol!
10-08-2019, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even before I was a mod I never saw the point putting anyone on an ignore list. Nobody forces me to read what they write, so all good.
10-08-2019, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In every forum I've been a member of (three where I been a mod) I can recall only one person I've put on ignore/block. In that one instance I had little choice since there was that one member who no matter what I said had some ad-hom and/or argument to toss my way. I didn't serve as a mod at that one and the ones who were would ban him for no more than a week at a time.

Once he understood I no longer saw what he wrote and would not acknowledge or respond it was no longer as much fun for him. I'll guess he then turned his venom elsewhere as he was eventually banned permanently.

10-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have an even dozen + one on my list. That translates to slightly more than one per year on average, but to be honest, the frequency has increased in recent years. In reviewing the names, several have been banned and a few others are basically inactive. I seldom see the "you have chosen to ignore" message while browsing the forums and when I do, I sometimes click to see what they have to say.

Why did I decide to ignore? The usual reason was trolling, confrontative/dismissive style, non-helpful comments, or repetitive vague requests for assistance where solutions prove impossible to attain. There was also one where the member's contribution consisted almost entirely of promotion for their exclusive and quite expensive small group photo tours.

I just reviewed the list and will likely remove those who have been banned and those with no posts within the current decade. The self-promotion guy will remain.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-09-2019 at 05:56 PM.
10-09-2019, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

I'm on a lot rowdier forums than this and I've never ignored anyone.
This place it is super friendly, and I've asked some dumb questions.
10-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have an even dozen + one on my list. That translates to slightly more than one per year on average, but to be honest, the frequency has increased in recent years. In reviewing the names, several have been banned and a few others are basically inactive. I seldom see the "you have chosen to ignore" message while browsing the forums and when I do, I sometimes click to see what they have to say.

Why did I decide to ignore? The usual reason was trolling, confrontative/dismissive style, non-helpful comments, or repetitive vague requests for assistance where solutions prove impossible to attain. There was also one where the member's contribution consisted almost entirely of promotion for their exclusive and quite expensive small group photo tours.

I just reviewed the list and will likely remove those who have been banned and those with no posts within the current decade. The self-promotion guy will remain.

Steve
So, you put people on your ignore list but can’t resist the temptation to check up what they’re posting anyway?

Seems a bit of a waste using the “ignore”button

10-10-2019, 03:33 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I'm on a lot rowdier forums than this and I've never ignored anyone.
This place it is super friendly, and I've asked some dumb questions.
Dumb questions? BLOCKED!

/s
10-10-2019, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

I only put people on my ignore list for one reason - being a complete d*ck. There are a few on there but I haven't added anyone for a few years, though I've been tempted recently by some of the "mirrorless cameras are not the future, have no benefits and are an invention of Satan" (some hyperbole there) responses in some threads.

It's a good thing that political and religious discussions are banned or I'm sure my ignore list would be a lot bigger.
10-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
So, you put people on your ignore list but can’t resist the temptation to check up what they’re posting anyway?
It depends on the subject. Just because a person is rude does not mean they will never post useful information on a technical matter. FWIW, I might take a peek maybe once a month and am usually disappointed by the same old.

Steve
10-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I imagine I'm on quite a few lists, but personally I haven't ever done so, and I doubt I ever will. This is a pretty civil forum after all, and I think it is important to hear opinions one doesn't agree with. Living in a bubble is IMHO never a good thing. And sometimes, others give convincing arguments that I never thought about.
10-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not here enough to want to block anyone; I don't know who the oiks, muppets and trolls are, if we have any. I did find out (thanks, Uncle Vanya!) that I can block a thread I really don't want to read, so that's okay...
10-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I didn't know this feature existed here. I thought everybody was behaving gentlemanly out of their own good character.
10-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only used the ignore list if someone is actually spamming. Other than that, I'm an open book.
10-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I haven't used the ignore feature. In fact I don't where to find it. Generally I find the vast majority of Pentax Forum members are pretty reasonable, but of course not everyone. Those very few, I don't engage , as I find they seem to be consistently looking for a squabble.