Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Ah, this explains. Does this apply to Ebay or also to "private" packages like something sold here? The only times I have shipped stuff outside was sending packages to the US but I just had to drop the package at the local DHL packet shop and tell them to ship it internationally (they were small non-monetary value packages anyway).

My sales into Canada as a private individual required a statement of value.

10-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aha - thanks for the info!
10-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My sales into Canada as a private individual required a statement of value.
I would venture to guess this to be the case, regardless of the platform on which an item was sold.
10-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I'm very happy Oregon doesn't have sales tax, I don't know how it's made it this long.

10-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I'm very happy Oregon doesn't have sales tax, I don't know how it's made it this long.
State income tax.
10-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Looks to me like Oregon has a state income tax with levels ranging from 5 to 10 percent. In comparison, Virginia, where I live, has income tax brackets that range from 2 to 5.75 percent.

There are different ways to collect money and Oregon does it differently from some other states, that's all.
10-10-2019, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #37
Unregistered User

1) Whether a state can charge sales tax on an out-of-state transaction has to do with the concepts of sovereignty and jurisdiction. Since states are territorial governments (unlike, for example, the United States and the Vatican), their ability to exercise jurisdiction as sovereigns depends on "physical presence" within the state. In this case, it has to do with jurisdiction not over the transaction itself, but over the parties to the transaction. So if the purchaser is within a state that charges sales tax, then the state can tax him (even if they can't tax the seller), regardless of where the transaction occurs.

2) In order to collect sales tax on internet transactions, the seller would normally have to register with the taxing authority in each state in which he does business. I'm guessing that most "ebay" sellers that charge sales tax on out-of-state transactions are not actually registered, and are not forwarding the "tax" collected to the appropriate states. I'd want to see the sales tax registration certificate if they propose to charge a tax. Otherwise, it's wire fraud, a federal felony.

10-10-2019, 02:55 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if it is the actual seller or Ebay itself which collects the tax before it releases funds to the seller ?

I never did tax law

for a reason

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-10-2019 at 03:56 AM.
10-10-2019, 03:10 AM   #39
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
1) Whether a state can charge sales tax on an out-of-state transaction has to do with the concepts of sovereignty and jurisdiction. Since states are territorial governments (unlike, for example, the United States and the Vatican), their ability to exercise jurisdiction as sovereigns depends on "physical presence" within the state. In this case, it has to do with jurisdiction not over the transaction itself, but over the parties to the transaction. So if the purchaser is within a state that charges sales tax, then the state can tax him (even if they can't tax the seller), regardless of where the transaction occurs.

2) In order to collect sales tax on internet transactions, the seller would normally have to register with the taxing authority in each state in which he does business. I'm guessing that most "ebay" sellers that charge sales tax on out-of-state transactions are not actually registered, and are not forwarding the "tax" collected to the appropriate states. I'd want to see the sales tax registration certificate if they propose to charge a tax. Otherwise, it's wire fraud, a federal felony.
It is eBay that collects the sales taxes and forwards those funds to whatever state the buyer resides in.
10-10-2019, 03:17 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

Racer answered, but it is e bay that collects that tax. They are the business that the states would go after for the "lost" revenue and they probably would rather just collect it than fight a court case that has apparently already been fought and states like New York are now collecting sales tax on all internet sales to New York residents (at least that's what they are trying to do).
10-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is eBay that collects the sales taxes and forwards those funds to whatever state the buyer resides in.
thanks for confirming

it figures that Ebay would be doing that
10-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #42
Pentaxian

It must be terrible to have to pay taxes to pay for the country you live in...
10-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon started charging state sales tax years ago.
I'm surprised eBay got away with it for so long.

Chris
10-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Amazon started charging state sales tax years ago.
I'm surprised eBay got away with it for so long.

Chris
Amazon has the structure & staff in place to take these new responsibilities in stride. They pushed hard to make other people do it for the very reason that small "Mom & Pop" shops that work from their garage in Nebraska could likely never fully comply with the new law at the same level of detail & certainty of Amazon. Yet another clever move by Amazon to continue to dominate & eliminate potential competition, and one reason why by and large I look everywhere other than amazon for any of my online shopping needs (and up until recently, looked to eBay first.)
10-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
should not be required to pay sales tax on the transaction.
The State of Washington reminds us that the tax is sort of a license for the privilege of use.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Does this apply to Ebay or also to "private" packages like something sold here?
The simple answer is yes. I am surprised that DHL will accept an international package without a customs envelope attached.

Steve