Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Apologies to those who found my thread about fun meaningless or obscure.

Let me explain.

There was a recent thread called 'Lets Have Some Fun', in which some comments were made that I found humorous, but apparently others did not. This thread was closed.

My own thread (WoW, by the way is a UK term expressing surprise) was intended as an ironic comment on the closure of a thread intended, as stated, as a bit of fun. The 1984 reference was, of course, to the book by George Orwell. I suppose that could have been seen as political. That thread too was closed.

Anyway, that's all I meant by that thread - shame some people took it the way I did not intend.

My most sincere, humble and abject apologies to those upon whose toes i inadvertently trod.

10-09-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi

Fun is going the way of the dodo nowadays
Interpretation has changed alot this century
I think I would have enjoyed your thread

Dave
10-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't sweat it, everybody has been misinterpreted now and again.
10-09-2019, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye the are lots of new police types in the world, many are self appointed too... PC, fun, speed, drinking, smoking to name but a few, did I mention fun.

10-09-2019, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Speed drinking is fun - haven't done that in years!
10-09-2019, 03:14 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Let me explain.

There was a recent thread called 'Lets Have Some Fun', in which some comments were made that I found humorous, but apparently others did not. This thread was closed.

My own thread (WoW, by the way is a UK term expressing surprise) was intended as an ironic comment on the closure of a thread intended, as stated, as a bit of fun. The 1984 reference was, of course, to the book by George Orwell. I suppose that could have been seen as political. That thread too was closed.

Anyway, that's all I meant by that thread - shame some people took it the way I did not intend.

My most sincere, humble and abject apologies to those upon whose toes i inadvertently trod.
I presume, you mean this thread: Let's have some fun! - PentaxForums.com

That became a slugging match between two members so the moderating team decided to close the thread lest it became more personal.

You then started a new thread: WoW No more fun - PentaxForums.com where you appeared to take a dig at the moderating team with your 1984 reference.

The thread did not provide the context, clearly leaving members confused as to what was being discussed and resulting in further discussions which really served little purpose.
A moderator made the decision to close that thread.

Now, you have this new thread, for no apparent purpose but to rehash the whole saga. Before I close this one - Can anyone see any point in keeping this up?

A little rule reminder:

"Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts."

"While our rules cover typical forum situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Thus we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure our website and forum is not disrupted or abused in any way. Several moderators are present on our site to maintain an orderly, friendly forum and to help members adhere to the rules. Moderators attempt to remove any objectionable content posted on site as quickly as possible, and deal with any conflicts between forum members. Any objection to a moderator's course of action or conflicts with other staff members are handled by an appeal process to the site administration."

"To discourage threads from going off-topic, general moderator actions, site policies, and forum rules are not to be discussed in threads outside of the site suggestions forum."

"Moderator actions pertaining to your own posts may only be discussed privately."

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.
10-09-2019, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see it as an apology. I missed the other threads so perhaps I'm naive. Mark I'd let it stand as long as people don't like on. Just my input to your question.

10-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts."
Maybe you could add quoting people out of context to that?
10-09-2019, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what the OP is trying to accomplish... why not join a photography related conversation, instead of continuing this?

This has nothing to do with "General Photography" by the way.
10-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Maybe you could add quoting people out of context to that?
I'm not sure it's something that can be easily enforced. My suggestion would be that if you feel you're being misquoted, that you simply reply in the thread and add a clarification. If there's an ongoing issue, then please feel free to contact the moderating team.
10-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm not sure what the OP is trying to accomplish... why not join a photography related conversation, instead of continuing this?

This has nothing to do with "General Photography" by the way.
Good point. I'll move it.
10-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Many time Text conversation is hard to interpret.

I haven't read the other thread, by the way.
10-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The OP has made a mistake by trying to apologize to forum members. Best to learn from it and move forward. No harm has been done. Just see it as a learning opportunity.
I look forward to your input in the future @35mmfilmfan We are one big happy family here.
10-09-2019, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
The OP has made a mistake by trying to apologize to forum members. Best to learn from it and move forward. No harm has been done. Just see it as a learning opportunity.
I look forward to your input in the future @35mmfilmfan We are one big happy family here.
Here's the thing, he's not apologizing. He's basically saying "sorry you were not smart enough to understand my swipe at the moderation of this forum". Considering the thread he is talking about, and the fact that he is sorry that some people "found it meaningless or obscure", he's basically saying he is sorry he wasn't more clear.

If you consider that an apology... that's ok with me, but it's too much like what politicians say these days...
10-09-2019, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

About an hour ago, I was reading through a recent thread regarding the forum's "Ignore" feature. There was one comment that I found to be fairly amazing. It is copied below in its entirety:
QuoteQuote:
Never used ignore list - I prefer to be up close and personal. If someone I meet really antagonises me, I will explain, calmly, that I respect their right to hold an alternative opinion, but that I would appreciate it if they would not waste their breath and my time telling me what it is. If they don't take the hint, I then tell them I look forward to reading their obituary.
Emphasis added.

I then took a few minutes to review that user's recent post history and noticed a few examples of both "up close and personal" and "explain, calmly". That is how I ended up here. My "Ignore" list is pretty short, but now it has a new entry due to my not wanting to risk antagonizing someone with something they don't want to read.

Steve
Closed Thread