Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always been fascinated by accents, and since I've travelled a fair amount, as well as worked with a variety of people from all over the world, I am always trying to guess where they are from just by listening to them speak. I'm usually good at spotting faked accents in films as well.
When I came across this woman's channel, she had me stumped. Very talented, IMO, and I've lost a few hours listening to her perform and explain accents.

11-10-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
YouTube is a black hole for me.I go there to see something someone has referred me to, and then spend hours and hours following the suggested videos to watch afterwards.
Same for me. Recently I got into watching Bon Appetit videos, it's supposed to be about cooking but their content is hilarious.

it is a bit terrifying when she reads off the ingredients for some of the snack foods she recreates and improves upon.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-10-2019 at 08:53 AM.
11-10-2019, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I always been fascinated by accents, and since I've travelled a fair amount, as well as worked with a variety of people from all over the world, I am always trying to guess where they are from just by listening to them speak. I'm usually good at spotting faked accents in films as well.
When I came across this woman's channel, she had me stumped. Very talented, IMO, and I've lost a few hours listening to her perform and explain accents.
Australian versus New Zealand Accents Tip! | 21 Accents - YouTube
That's quite entertaining Rob.

And it led me to this:

11-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #34
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Same for me. Recently I got into watching Bon Appetit videos, it's supposed to be about cooking but their content is hilarious.

WWE Superstar Braun Strowman Tries to Keep Up with a Professional Chef | Back-to-Back Chef - YouTube

it is a bit terrifying when she reads off the ingredients for some of the snack foods she recreates and improves upon.

Pastry Chef Attempts to Make Gourmet Ferrero Rocher | Gourmet Makes | Bon Appétit - YouTube
I love it.

The first one proves that those big, muscle bound Bubba no-neck wrestling guys are not all bad, and the one in the video seems quite well educated too.

Bonus!

And the second is about my favorite holiday treat, Ferrero Rocher! They are like crunchy little bird heads, with a creamy chocolate nutty ganache center and a crunchy filbert (hazelnut) inside.

Oh yeah, crunchy bird heads! A delicious holiday treat!

So, have you seen the "cooking" show by these two fetching Australian gals? Food intolerant Kate McCartney and her intolerable smug foodie co-host, Kate McLennan, of The Katering Show. I stumbled upon one of their videos after falling into the Black Hole of YouTube one day, and go back frequently to check in on them.

They are quite entertaining.

The Katering Show. Check them out here.

Do check them out, they are a hoot.

{I'd post a video here, but they can't go a single episode without dropping at least one objectionable word or three, and I wouldn't want to get cross threaded here.}

11-10-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite entertaining Rob.
And it led me to this:
Yes Very entertaining, I started watching her, and realized my day would be shot if I didn't stop and get away from the computer.
11-10-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have you seen the "cooking" show by these two fetching Australian gals? Food intolerant Kate McCartney and her intolerable smug foodie co-host, Kate McLennan, of The Katering Show.
oh yes I have come across them all right
11-12-2019, 11:50 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I like 'dashcam' channels. I don't know why because some of the clips are infuriating!
Movies like IT, The Exorcist and The Texas chainsaw massicre don't scare me, but I find Russian dashcam videos to be terrifying. Don't watch them If you have ever been in a serious car accident.

11-13-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Some of my favorites are, in no particular order:
  • Amazing acoustic music: Andrey Vinogradov, Russian master of the hurdy gurdy. A recent dicovery! As stated on the Bandcamp description of his CD, his music is a "fantastic blend of neo-medieval, minimalist, ethnic, folk rock music and avant-garde improvisations masterly performed on hurdy-gurdy". Start here:
  • Bicycle touring around the world: Wheels to Wander. A Dutch couple with (IMHO) beautiful souls and an eye for cinematography take you along on their journey around the world. I recommend starting in the middle for this one, then maybe go back to the beginning of the journey if you like it.
  • Outdoorsy adventures: Ryan Van Duzer. Ryan runs ultra-marathons, rides bikes a lot, and goes on lots of outdoor adventures with an amazingly upbeat attitude to life. His content is very varied, but I'd start with his 2016 Three Passes Trek in Nepal.

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-14-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
11-13-2019, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, have you seen the "cooking" show by these two fetching Australian gals? Food intolerant Kate McCartney and her intolerable smug foodie co-host, Kate McLennan, of The Katering Show. I stumbled upon one of their videos after falling into the Black Hole of YouTube one day, and go back frequently to check in on them.
Yeah, great car-crash comedy from those two writer-performers, Racer! Their next project was a pre-dawn Morning entertainment show, sending up breakfast television.
11-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Stuff You Should Know

Stuff You Should Know Podcast Fan - YouTube
11-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am planning to go to Japan this new years and remembered this channel:

Simon and Martina - YouTube

I started to watch their adventures and silliness on a near daily basis for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully, I'll incorporate a few of their locations into my visit.
11-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
I am planning to go to Japan this new years and remembered this channel:

Simon and Martina - YouTube

I started to watch their adventures and silliness on a near daily basis for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully, I'll incorporate a few of their locations into my visit.
A very good video on the sushi master in Tokyo. I love sushi, and would eat it everyday, but alas, it is too expensive for daily consumption.

I had my first sushi at Toyama Japanese restaurant in Everett, Washington. It was opened by Susumu Aoki, and he named it for the town of his birth, Toyama, Japan. It was very Japanese and very traditional. In addition to the sushi bar there were tables in the center, booths along one side, and the more traditional private booths with sliding partitions along another side. All the waitresses wore a kimono. When customers came in, Susumu always greeted them in Japanese.

こんにちは! 富山へようこそ! 来て、座って、楽しんでください!(Kon'nichiwa! Toyama e yōkoso! Kite, suwatte, tanoshinde kudasai!) (Hello! Welcome to Toyama! Please, come in, sit and enjoy!)

Susumu went to great lengths to create a dining experience exactly like that of his homeland.

After many years he sold Toyama, and opened Susumu Japanese Steakhouse, a teppanyaki restaurant (with a sushi bar on the side), in Lynnwood, Washington. True to his style, the restaurant was very traditional, a five star operation. Ana again, after many years, he sold it and moved to Sacramento, California, where he opened yet a third restaurant, this time a hibachi, teppanyaki and sushi operation. Mrs. Racer 2.0 tracked him down, and while visiting my sister and her husband who live in Sacramento, we had dinner there, and surprised Susumu with our visit.

Sadly, a year or two back, the landlord Susumu was leasing the commercial space from raise the rent too much, and he retired. He is 72 now, and has earned his retirement.
11-16-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very good video on the sushi master in Tokyo. I love sushi, and would eat it everyday, but alas, it is too expensive for daily consumption.

I had my first sushi at Toyama Japanese restaurant in Everett, Washington. It was opened by Susumu Aoki, and he named it for the town of his birth, Toyama, Japan. It was very Japanese and very traditional. In addition to the sushi bar there were tables in the center, booths along one side, and the more traditional private booths with sliding partitions along another side. All the waitresses wore a kimono. When customers came in, Susumu always greeted them in Japanese.

こんにちは! 富山へようこそ! 来て、座って、楽しんでください!(Kon'nichiwa! Toyama e yōkoso! Kite, suwatte, tanoshinde kudasai!) (Hello! Welcome to Toyama! Please, come in, sit and enjoy!)

Susumu went to great lengths to create a dining experience exactly like that of his homeland.

After many years he sold Toyama, and opened Susumu Japanese Steakhouse, a teppanyaki restaurant (with a sushi bar on the side), in Lynnwood, Washington. True to his style, the restaurant was very traditional, a five star operation. Ana again, after many years, he sold it and moved to Sacramento, California, where he opened yet a third restaurant, this time a hibachi, teppanyaki and sushi operation. Mrs. Racer 2.0 tracked him down, and while visiting my sister and her husband who live in Sacramento, we had dinner there, and surprised Susumu with our visit.

Sadly, a year or two back, the landlord Susumu was leasing the commercial space from raise the rent too much, and he retired. He is 72 now, and has earned his retirement.
Very cool that you were able to experience this stateside. I wish there was something like that around here. I've had lunch at a Japanese family's cafe near my work and their food is great. I especially liked their spicy tuna rolls and udon. If I could, I'd be there every day. Once I'm in Japan, I'll most likely be binge eating for the first couple of days, but it'll be well worth it to me.
11-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #44
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
Very cool that you were able to experience this stateside. I wish there was something like that around here. I've had lunch at a Japanese family's cafe near my work and their food is great. I especially liked their spicy tuna rolls and udon. If I could, I'd be there every day. Once I'm in Japan, I'll most likely be binge eating for the first couple of days, but it'll be well worth it to me.
The sad thing is the original place, Toyama, has passed through several owners, the latest being Korean, and with each one the quality and atmosphere has declined. We had a late lunch, early dinner there recently, and the place is a dump. Susumu would be sad to learn how poorly it is managed today. The floor was sticky like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time. The waitresses don't wear a kimono now.

And when I asked to order off the menu at the sushi bar, the guy refused.

And the Susumu Japanese Steakhouse has also declined in quality and atmosphere, for much the same reasons I think. Passing through several owners, the first was an American who had married a Japanese woman while in the military, and the quality suffered a little bit. The next owner was Chinese (I guess based on the change of menu offerings), and it no longer appealed to me as a place to have a good meal.

Of course the Sacramento restaurant is completely gone, and I don't get down that way very much.

We do have a few other Japanese restaurants in the area, and they are good, but operated by much younger people, without the same passion for tradition that Susumu had.

Lately I have discovered the Vietnamese sandwich, and found a few places that serve them. A great lunch alternative, to be sure. But one place I will not return to, as the service is poor, and the place doesn't appear to get cleaned daily, having the sticky floor like the old Toyama restaurant.

Clearly a sign of poor housekeeping, and not a sign of good, healthy food handling practices.
11-18-2019, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sad thing is the original place, Toyama, has passed through several owners, the latest being Korean, and with each one the quality and atmosphere has declined. We had a late lunch, early dinner there recently, and the place is a dump. Susumu would be sad to learn how poorly it is managed today. The floor was sticky like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time. The waitresses don't wear a kimono now.

And when I asked to order off the menu at the sushi bar, the guy refused.

And the Susumu Japanese Steakhouse has also declined in quality and atmosphere, for much the same reasons I think. Passing through several owners, the first was an American who had married a Japanese woman while in the military, and the quality suffered a little bit. The next owner was Chinese (I guess based on the change of menu offerings), and it no longer appealed to me as a place to have a good meal.

Of course the Sacramento restaurant is completely gone, and I don't get down that way very much.

We do have a few other Japanese restaurants in the area, and they are good, but operated by much younger people, without the same passion for tradition that Susumu had.

Lately I have discovered the Vietnamese sandwich, and found a few places that serve them. A great lunch alternative, to be sure. But one place I will not return to, as the service is poor, and the place doesn't appear to get cleaned daily, having the sticky floor like the old Toyama restaurant.

Clearly a sign of poor housekeeping, and not a sign of good, healthy food handling practices.
It's sad to hear of how the degradation came as owners changed. I've noticed changes in my favorite locations as well, just not to the extent of what you've witnessed. Some have been increasing their prices, others have changed portion sizes or even seem to be "watering" down their recipes (imo). I don't mind paying more, so long as the quality is still there, but I won't bother with the watered down stuff.

Vietnamese Banh Mi is great! They tend to be inexpensive and are quite filling. If you ever get the chance, perhaps having some of the Vietnamese Pho (if you haven't already ).

Another channel I used to frequently check: Cooking with Dog - YouTube. I've recently wanted to cook at home more often and remembered I used to watch them back in high school. Their videos are easy to follow, so I shouldn't mess up too terribly.