Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 10:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What non-photography YouTube channels do you watch?

There's a thread in General Photography for the photography channels. But YouTube is such a big weird universe, so photography can't be the only topic people are interested in.

When I was restoring a canoe, I was looking for videos on steam-bending wood. I found this channel, a guy who restores old wagons. Besides bending wood, he does other woodworking, blacksmithing and tool making.

EngelsCoachShop - YouTube

I read a lot about wooden boats, and several channels are building sailboats. These projects span years so the progression is interesting. There are too many to list, but a short sample:

Acorn To Arabella - YouTube

These two guys decided they could build a wooden sailboat and take it on adventures. First step, cut down some trees. And if they made it interesting enough, people would watch and support them enough to quit their boring jobs. They got that to work and are a couple of years into the boat.

Sampson Boat Co - YouTube

Leo is restoring a 109 year old sailing yacht. I started watching these thinking poor Leo was completely over his head and the project was impossible. He just doesn't reveal how talented he is right away. One talent is finding someone who happens to have an unused giant boat workshop to lend to Leo where he can park his 48ft boat for several years. And live there.

I like woodworking and boat woodworking is fascinating to me, but say you are more interested in steel, and something bigger. But still an approachable DIY project that anyone could tackle. You need to meet Doug Jackson:

Building a 74ft Steel Sailboat - YouTube

Doug is building a 74-foot steel sailboat in his front yard. In Tulsa, Oklahoma. In last week's video, he found out it currently weighs 55.5 (imperial) tons, enough to see the ground displace when he jacks it up and sets it back down. You can see it from Google Earth. It has fiberglass dragons and mermaids on the side. Doug has 11 years of videos just on this boat, plus a couple of submarine builds, remote operated exploration vehicles and other side projects for the boat. He welds a lot, casts metal, gets many other people to work with him and has a lot of "don't try this at home" moments.

If boats are not your thing, maybe cars? Like the boat ones, I prefer long running projects.

Bad Obsession Motorsport - YouTube

These guys are building a Mini (old one) with a Toyota Celica 4wd drivetrain. They end up making most of the parts themselves. A lot of the work is stuff glossed over or never done in other car building shows. One highlight of the series is when they built a cardboard model of a ventilation system, which was 100% functional. They have other projects, such as a former bookmobile being rebuilt to transport the Mini to rallies. They aren't making a video a week like some others, but the videos are really good.

What are your channel suggestions?

10-10-2019, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Besides photography, I'm a hunter and an ex-military guy who likes to shoot guns. Paul Harrell has a good YouTube gun channel on hunting and defensive guns/ammo that I regularly watch.
10-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nothing, in particular, mostly movie reviews, some music, some histories, science-related video, but it can be tricky for these 2 categories on YouTube because a lot of them are a hoax and miss information.
In other words, I don't have a go-to places but only key in the keywords and see whatever I happened to click on it. I try to cut down my time spent on the internet.
10-10-2019, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In addition to photography I like cycling and gigs so the channels I regularly watch are GCN (Global Cycling Network) and …. Probably Iron Maiden, 5FDP, Epica and Nightwish the majority of the time. in addition to many and various others.

10-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't watch You Tube channels

I will search for specific info on You Tube and have inserted some of that into my forum posts
10-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There’s always something new to learn... i m watching how to make cheese, yea I like cheese haha
10-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #7

My other 2 hobbies are fishing and kayaking. The fun part is being able to combine them.
No specific channels that I watch, since it usually devolves into watching idiots crashing cars or falling down.

Kirk B.

10-11-2019, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I'm a history buff, so I've recently become hooked on the Kings & Generals military history channel.
10-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Studio C !! (Anything before Season 10)
10-11-2019, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have an eclectic mix of channels... Mostly I search for specific topics, but there are a few subscribed channels that deserve a watch anytime something new comes along. In no particular order:

The Slo-Mo guys at The Slow Mo Guys - YouTube

ZeFrank ("True Facts about ...") at zefrank1 - YouTube

Quirky clown music at Puddles Pity Party - YouTube

Paul Sellers woodworking at Paul Sellers - YouTube

Wood turning at woodturningwithtim1 - YouTube

and more
10-11-2019, 10:24 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rick Beato's Everything Music. It's the only Youtube channel I've ever subscribed to.

Rick Beato - YouTube

Sample:

10-11-2019, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I'm a history buff, so I've recently become hooked on the Kings & Generals military history channel.
You might also like Drachinifel on Naval warfare:
Drachinifel - YouTube
Some of his earlier stuff has an annoying computer voice, later stuff is very watchable.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Rick Beato's Everything Music.
+1 on that .

Also:
Shutup & Play - guitar tutorials - YouTube

Not that I play, but I enjoy the analysis and hearing the isolated guitar on the tracks.
10-11-2019, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I love to learn about anything, so I'm subscribed to quite a few channels related to that like CGP Grey, Periodic Videos, Vsauce, Sci Show and some more specialized like PBS's Space Time.

I'm also really into gaming, right now I've been watching speedruns so I'm subscribed to Games Done Quick and individuals like ZFG.

If I were to go over all the channels I watch I'd be here for a while though.
10-11-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
You might also like Drachinifel on Naval warfare:
Drachinifel - YouTube
Some of his earlier stuff has an annoying computer voice, later stuff is very watchable.
Cool, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
10-11-2019, 04:45 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I love getting out and about camping and 4x4ing but these blokes get to do it for a living.\