Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes Spam, 14 of 100. LOL

10-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
He who pays the piper.......
Around here that’s quite a serious business...
10-16-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need one more post...so here it is
10-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Hmmm, Chris must have deleted his post, as I don't see it. Why would someone not be interested in perhaps winning something?
You'd have to ask Chris, but some people are happy with what they already have and don't want or need more and take a pass if they figure someone else would enjoy the prizes more. I don't enter contests like this unless I actually want the prizes*.

*Note that I definitely want that 11-18mm, so if I make it to 100 posts, I am definitely entering.

10-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I'm here for a bit more than that. The knowledge and info available is invaluable at times.

Anyway, the place will really light up when (not if) there is an announcement of some sort on new kit.
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate well to text
10-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate well to text
No problemo, I did get it
10-17-2019, 04:20 AM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
I don't know about you people, but I'm just here for the slim chance at free swag.
free swag

how ??

is there a contest going on

[ now that is how to be sarcastic IMHO ]

10-17-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah yes. I've finally found the post whining about the fact that it's a meaningless post where we can all post to get in a raffle. I could justify my involvement in a few ways... but I'll save it for another post. :P
10-17-2019, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*rant mode engaged*
I will never understand the prevalent attitude of having some kind of statute of limitations on comments or "necro-ing" a thread. It is more of a problem throughout industry to leave old out of date threads and lock them as canon when they really SHOULD be updated over time. Linux forums are all really stupid about that one. In the case of photographs though, having someone kind enough to to be interested in your work, no matter what level it is on, should be reason enough to accept their comments graciously. If someone offers an unwelcome critique ignoring them or rebutting is left up to the owner of the post. It's silly to think that there's an arbitrary commenting period on photographs when the fundamental reason for having them has always been to immortalize a moment in history as best we can.

*end rant*
10-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
*rant mode engaged*
I will never understand the prevalent attitude of having some kind of statute of limitations on comments or "necro-ing" a thread. It is more of a problem throughout industry to leave old out of date threads and lock them as canon when they really SHOULD be updated over time. Linux forums are all really stupid about that one. In the case of photographs though, having someone kind enough to to be interested in your work, no matter what level it is on, should be reason enough to accept their comments graciously. If someone offers an unwelcome critique ignoring them or rebutting is left up to the owner of the post. It's silly to think that there's an arbitrary commenting period on photographs when the fundamental reason for having them has always been to immortalize a moment in history as best we can.

*end rant*
good rant

but what about those " reanimators " who brings a thread back to " life " where the OP's reason for the thread has been achieved

example

help me choose between x and y

ok I chose y

and a " reanimator " comes in and says what about this ?
10-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good rant

but what about those " reanimators " who brings a thread back to " life " where the OP's reason for the thread has been achieved

example

help me choose between x and y

ok I chose y

and a " reanimator " comes in and says what about this ?

I think that's different, they are hijacking the thread. I also think that general conversation threads really do have a very short lifespan. Even then I've used old threads to help make such decisions so the information conveyed by the Q/A session may be useful long after it is posted and shows up in searches. Closing a thread after a time may be the solution to scope creep as above, but even then, if new information is available, like a new choice becomes available then it should be considered, unless it isn't relevant to the op. Of course all of this is my opinion, but it is based on about 30 years of experience. I have often seen a thread "reanimated" with very valuable and updated information only to have the person get attacked for their efforts, and conversely, I've often seen someone get attacked for posting a question that has been asked in another older thread, in which the information has gotten stale or was never actually answered. Stackoverflow is king of that dung heap.

A post that narrow will often run amok without delay anyway as there are many more opinions than choices offered.
10-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #57
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that's different, they are hijacking the thread. I also think that general conversation threads really do have a very short lifespan. Even then I've used old threads to help make such decisions so the information conveyed by the Q/A session may be useful long after it is posted and shows up in searches. Closing a thread after a time may be the solution to scope creep as above, but even then, if new information is available, like a new choice becomes available then it should be considered, unless it isn't relevant to the op. Of course all of this is my opinion, but it is based on about 30 years of experience. I have often seen a thread "reanimated" with very valuable and updated information only to have the person get attacked for their efforts, and conversely, I've often seen someone get attacked for posting a question that has been asked in another older thread, in which the information has gotten stale or was never actually answered. Stackoverflow is king of that dung heap.

A post that narrow will often run amok without delay anyway as there are many more opinions than choices offered.
I didn't mean to suggest that threads should be deleted

and yes, important information can be learned by reviewing older threads
10-18-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I didn't mean to suggest that threads should be deleted

and yes, important information can be learned by reviewing older threads
Lol! I think putting up with the occasional silly off topic comment or reboot attempt is kind of par for the course. My rant was more aimed at those who spend a extraordinary amount of time frothing about it. Then there are those threads made for continuation, like "show me your moon" here at PF.

It's also a great neutral debate item to get some real convo's going. :P <--shameless admission.
10-18-2019, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . It's also a great neutral debate item to get some real convo's going. :P <--shameless admission.
shame on you

[ been there, done that]
10-18-2019, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
For the record, I don't like spam.

Even before I was a moderator.

Something about salty processed mystery meat that turns my stomach.

Gimme a nice steak, or a tasty pork chop, or a grilled salmon fillet.

Oh yeah.