Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 01:59 AM   #46
Veteran Member

My longest flight is a measly 4 hours but I think I'm going to China from the UK soon which is 10+ hours

11-05-2019, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Virginia to Arizona, might not be considered long, but I had 3 kids sitting behind me. One of the flight attendants passed me two mini bottles of gin for free. I guess he felt sorry for me...
We got on a flight to Hawaii early, and watched this woman wrangle five kids into one row of the middle seats. She first had to argue with the flight attendants about baggage - they somehow decided the kids did not qualify as a person for carryon baggage, even though each seat was purchased, so they wanted to gate check most of her stuff. She won that argument without any drama or shouting. Then each kid got belted with snacks and toys and pillows. Then she checked in with the hospital about several patients before takeoff. Those kids were perfect through the flight. People overuse the word amazing but she really was.
11-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My longest would be BNE-SFO then on to Washington, but easy compared to:

n 1943, Royal Australian Air Force personnel were seconded to operate Consolidated PBY Catalina seaplane aircraft under the banner of Qantas. The plan called for flights between Crawley, Western Australia, and RAF Base Koggala in southern Ceylon. The flights were (then) the longest non-stop air route of any airline, over 3,500 nautical miles (6,480 km, 4,020 mi) across the Indian Ocean. Navigating without the aid of radio, the crews relied solely on rudimentary navigation by compass and stars during the trip.[2][3] Five aircraft obtained under Lend-Lease were supplied by the British Air Ministry, and were named after stars used for navigation en route: Rigel Star, Spica Star, Altair Star, Vega Star and Antares Star. The first flight took place on 29 July 1943.[4]

Taking between 27 and 33 hours, with departure timed so that the flight crossed Japanese occupied territory during darkness, the crews would observe the sunrise twice, which led to the service being known as "The Double Sunrise".[5] The flight route flown was along the coast from Crawley to Exmouth then setting out towards Cocos (Keeling) Island or Christmas Island (though neither was actually sighted during the flight1) and onto Galle, a journey of approximately 3,580 nautical miles (6,630 km; 4,120 mi). After the success of the initial flights, it was decided to run a weekly service, with some services flying over Rottnest Island and then taking a direct line to Galle. As part of the Australia-England air route there was a surface component from Galle to Karachi that added considerable time to the service. This was later replaced by the Double Sunrise service, with Karachi to England flown by BOAC.[6] Air crews would change in Galle taking the next plane in either direction minimizing the time taken to complete the journey.[7]1

Though stripped of all non-essential equipment, including de-icing equipment and insulation, the average takeoff weight was 35,100 to 35,300 lb (15,900 to 16,000 kg) (maximum takeoff weight for a PBY Catalina was 35,400 lb (16,100 kg)); this included 1,988 imperial gallons (9,040 L) of fuel, which gave the Catalina a range of 3,600 nautical miles (6,700 km; 4,100 mi). The service made 271 crossings, delivered over 10,000 lb (4,500 kg) of mail and carried 860 passengers, including among them British MP Edith Summerskill and the journalist Keith Murdoch.2[7][8] Due to the weight of the auxiliary fuel, an average flight carried only 3 passengers and 152 pounds (69 kg) of essential mail.[4]