Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Aaah, but the quiet comfort of the C130 must have it quite a pleasant flight, I'm sure!
those have hammock seatings ( web ) so you can stretch out and sleep

right

10-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Aaah, but the quiet comfort of the C130 must have it quite a pleasant flight, I'm sure!
Not much sleep as primary flight crew, but we were augmented on that mission. The drone can be hypnotic.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
those have hammock seatings ( web ) so you can stretch out and sleep

right
I could zone out and sleep like a log on Herks. Until there was a prop flux or something else to cause a disturbance in the force, and wake me right up.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 10-21-2019 at 09:35 PM.
10-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
One I did from South Africa - Amsterdam diverted to Brussels due fog - Amsterdam (delays) then to Toronto and Vancouver.
33 hours from departure to arrival without sleep. Absolute torture.
That is why gawd created sleep masks, high quality in the ear sound deadening earbuds and a music player. In my case it is my third set of in ear buds (with baffles) and my 2005 Zune along with a USB port for power (available on most modern aircraft/airlines these days). With 2512 songs I can do quite a long stint and I have just over 17GB of free space for more music (2,512 * 3 minutes on average ~ 125 hours or just over 5 days). (Que the Zune hate ) I have a good and bad set of face masks mostly from the airlines, but the ones I bought before going to NZ the first time are the best.

All bets are off if your flight was a military one.
10-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Madrid to Tokyo, 14 & a half hours. I don't think I'd like to take one that's 50% longer still.

10-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was reported this morning that Air NZ will be scrapping it's Auckland-LA-London service and, instead, will be commencing a 787 (Dreamliner) service Auckland - JFK, New York. See Air New Zealand to axe London flights after 36 years | Stuff.co.nz This means the new Auckland - JFK route will be 14,178km

The reason given is that only 7% of NZ - London travelers now use the LAX route. The reason for that is not only are there now many other routes to London, but that all the other routes avoid LAX, which is described as "international traveller hell" and one of the worst and most unfriendly airports in the civilized world.
10-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The reason for that is not only are there now many other routes to London, but that all the other routes avoid LAX, which is described as "international traveller hell" and one of the worst and most unfriendly airports in the civilized world.
While I've had a number of bearable interactions with LAX -- connections, arrivals, and departures -- the most pleasant one was a connecting flight with Air NZ in the mid-2000s. A colleague and I were traveling from Ottawa, outbound to Wellington. All of the Air NZ staff at LAX were exceptional, and the Air NZ lounge was very hospitable. We did have a bit of a layover, so we escaped LAX with a hire car and spent six hours at Santa Monica.

I've also flown Air NZ from Auckland to Vancouver, which was a pretty decent flight.

- Craig
10-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #37
Pentaxian

The longest has been about 11 hours straight. This 19 hour flight is insane. I could do it, but yeah. I wouldn't want to do it often.

10-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #38
Pentaxian

...avoid LAX, which is described as "international traveller hell" and one of the worst and most unfriendly airports in the civilized world...
Based on a sample size of one, my encounter with LAX in 2018 went well. I was expecting a bad big-city-USA airport similar to my home airports in NYC (JFK and LGA). I got through the airport in an unmemorable fashion - that's a good thing because many airports are memorably bad.
10-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
While I've had a number of bearable interactions with LAX -- connections, arrivals, and departures -- the most pleasant one was a connecting flight with Air NZ in the mid-2000s. A colleague and I were traveling from Ottawa, outbound to Wellington. All of the Air NZ staff at LAX were exceptional, and the Air NZ lounge was very hospitable. We did have a bit of a layover, so we escaped LAX with a hire car and spent six hours at Santa Monica.

I've also flown Air NZ from Auckland to Vancouver, which was a pretty decent flight.

- Craig
Air NZ staff at LAX are, indeed, fantastic to deal with. But, most New Zealanders now prefer to avoid the LAX experience entirely, as transit through other airports (in other countries) is so much easier.
10-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Longest flight I've taken was London to Tokyo about 15 years ago.
10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The longest has been about 11 hours straight. This 19 hour flight is insane. I could do it, but yeah. I wouldn't want to do it often.
Yup, the 12 hours as crew was tolerable. 19 hours as a passenger? Nope.
10-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Air NZ staff at LAX are, indeed, fantastic to deal with. But, most New Zealanders now prefer to avoid the LAX experience entirely, as transit through other airports (in other countries) is so much easier.
Avoiding LAX as an alien traveller (to US authorities) is a good strategy, in my experience, particularly after the 14 hour flight from Sydney. My last experience there was prior to 2001, too. I can only imagine it's got worse since then.

I've done the Melbourne to London many times over a long period. That's never a great deal of fun, either, but I've found I can manage 12 hours sleep over the journey, with chemical assistance (of the prescription variety, naturally). Business and First Class used to help, but retirement and paying your own way has reined that in.

I have to add that, in Economy Class, the most comfortable flight on that route that I've experienced was in an Air France A380.
10-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #43
Pentaxian

The longest I was ever on a plane was fourteen and a half hours. Vancouver to Beijing with an hour and a half delay waiting for a runway in Canada and then two hours delay on the tarmac after touchdown in China. The person who picked me up to take me to the jobsite was equally annoyed. Haha
10-27-2019, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Virginia to Arizona, might not be considered long, but I had 3 kids sitting behind me. One of the flight attendants passed me two mini bottles of gin for free. I guess he felt sorry for me...
11-05-2019, 12:13 AM   #45

My longest flight was from Clark Air base in Manila P.I. to Anchorage Alaska in 1969. If I remember right it was 13 or 14 hours,but the adult beverages helped a lot.