Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what is the longest non stop flight you have ever taken - here is a new one

QuoteQuote:
A Qantas airplane took off from New York on Friday night and didn’t stop until it reached Sydney just over 19 hours later, setting a record for the world’s longest nonstop commercial passenger flight.

Months of planning went into the Boeing 787-9′s 10,066-mile journey. Tests assessed the health and well-being of the 49 passengers and crew members aboard the flight, which was conducted for research purposes as the largest airline in Australia explores offering the “ultra long” flights.. . .

The company is seeking to launch nonstop flights between Australia’s east coast and New York and London, saving passengers up to four hours in travel time. Its Project Sunrise plans to test the London-to-Sydney route in November and decide by the end of this year whether to offer the new routes. . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2019/10/20/get-ready-hour-flight-qanta...ltralong-trip/

mine was San Francisco to Sydney [ ok because i had an aisle seat, could get up and walk ]

Auckland to San Francisco [ terrible because I had an interior seat in the middle 4 rows ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
10-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Vancouver to Australia,,,my son not me, took. Then another flight to NZ.

I don't like commercial flying. I prefer driving, which of course limits my options to North America. I've flown to Europe three times, Newfoundkand, etc.
10-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm intrigued by this potential long-haul flight.

I've taken several non-stop flights Vancouver to Sydney at 15 h 30 m on a Boeing 777-200LR. It's a long flight, even in business class seats. I would consider myself to be a patient traveler, but another 3-4 hours in the air would probably test my stamina.

My longest total travel time has been Sydney-Vancouver-Toronto-London, taking nearly 32 hours on three flights.

- Craig
10-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. . . I don't like commercial flying. I prefer driving, . . . .
here is your solution:

10-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
on my two flights, I went from KC to San Francisco and San Francisco to KC to complete the journey with short lay overs in San Francisco each time
10-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Good idea...puts me in mind of looking for an Amphicar, although the north Atlantic maybe a challenge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact..._yvuFp1RNrq870

Whaddya think ?
10-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good idea...puts me in mind of looking for an Amphicar, although the north Atlantic maybe a challenge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact..._yvuFp1RNrq870

Whaddya think ?
a convertible might be a problem

not sure the roof would seal

10-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I read about that. 19 hours, was it? *shudders*

But they did have a comfy 70 minutes of fuel left

Never having been to Oz I believe my longest is Cape Town-London - about 11 hours? We usually go to Johannesburg, though, which is slightly shorter. Next up is Windhoek, then London-San Francisco, probably.

Sailing to South Africa takes a bit long, and I'm not sure how I would cope being locked up in a ship/boat for that long. And I believe it's still not possible to go all the way by train (whatever happened to mr. Rhodes' ideas?). That leaves me with two options; going by road or by air. Road travel is also less than optimal. Both the western route through Mauretania and the eastern through Sudan have some issues. Which leaves me with suffering the tortures of air travel, sadly. That is, the boring ride is sort of ok. Cramped and boring, yes. It's the airports that really make air travel insufferable. And going e.g. Oslo-London-Johannesburg-Nelspruit means I have to go through four of them. And total travel time ends up being more than double that of the longest leg.

Then again, getting there is totally worth it

Eagerly waiting for the gravity train! The travel time is always 42 minutes, no matter where you go. Unless you burn up on the way, of course
10-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The only real long haul flight I've done that I can think of is London to Los Angeles direct. As I recall it was a little over eleven hours. I've flown further, but never in one hop, so far as I can recall.

I used to travel a fair amount as part of my job, but mostly I flew between London and NY / NJ, typically flying out on a Sunday to arrive in the US late afternoon or early evening. I developed a bit of reputation with my colleagues, too... Early on, I found I just could not work effectively while in flight. I really don't know why... Whether it was the noise, the proximity of other passengers in Business Class (not a problem with Eos, but that didn't last ), or the general sensation of flying, I just can't say... but I couldn't concentrate. So, I chose to relax instead... I'd watch a few movies, read, have two or three glasses of wine, sleep - all whilst my colleagues were working away on their laptops. I made it a rule that I would not work in-flight. At our destination, we'd shower and change, they would go out for dinner and hit the bars - but I would sit in a quiet corner of the hotel lounge bar with my computer, paperwork and a large Scotch... and I'd get three or four hours of solid, quality work done - then get to bed at a not-too-unsociable hour, and be ready to rock 'n' roll Monday morning sans hangover. Well, it worked for me

My London to LA flight (and return) was a purely social thing, so I didn't have to worry about work. But my in-flight activities were pretty much the same

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-20-2019 at 02:50 PM.
10-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All our flights out of Oz are long. I think San Francisco to Cairns might have been have been about 18 hours - more than 30 years ago. But any time we go to Europe (which is not that often!) we have one leg that is about 14 hours. That is with a break in Singapore, which is our preferred stop over.
10-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Longest commercial flights for me have been multiple trans-Atlantic flights, can't remember the times.

Longest flight non-stop I've done was on a C-130E, Hickam AFB (Honolulu HI) to Little Rock AFB (Jacksonville AR) back in the mid-80s - 12.1 hours.
10-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

prolly New York to Rome.....
10-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Bangkok to San Francisco it stop one in Tokyo, so I better say Tokyo San Francisco
10-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Toronto/Vancouver is my longest, not even a quarter of that long haul.
10-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Seoul to NYC at about 14:20 total time. I then missed my shuttle and spent the night hanging out with the cleaning crew in the International terminal all night, then caught the shuttle to LaGuardia for my connecting flight.
Longest total flight was from, Marine Corps Air Station New River, NC, to Okinawa, Japan with a stop for fuel in Anchorage, Alaska in a chartered 747, all seats were tiny and we had lots of gear, so a total of about 23 hours plus a two hour break in the terminal while they refueled. I think the trip back was just as long but it didn't stick in my mind since I was due to get out less than three weeks after we returned.