Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
P.S. Someone needs to make a photographer's EDC with two flip-out legs (making a tripod with the body as the 3rd leg) and a flip-out 1/4-20 screw.

Seems like a thing for Kickstarter, no?

Last edited by photoptimist; 10-22-2019 at 04:13 PM.
10-22-2019, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted on this thread yet, until now.

10-22-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! I have the same vintage Adventurer that lived in a vertical belt sleeve on my belt nearly every weekend until 2012. It served all the same functions as yours, and I never felt the need for a Multi-Tool.

It was also my principal teaching tool when training new Adult Boy Scout leaders in “Woods Tools,” AKA sharp stuff. Mine has green grips - rather unusual.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My condolences at your loss. I don't have an EDC, though I have strong affection for the one that lives in the back pocket of my pack. I purchased my Victorianox Adventurer in the late 1970s and I would not venture into the backcountry without it. By Swiss Army Knife standards it is painfully plain and simple, but I would not have it any other way. Features?
  • 8 cm stainless locking blade
  • Combo can opener, small slotted screwdriver
  • Combo larger slotted screwdriver (lockable), bottle opener
  • Phillips screwdriver (sort of hokey...works as a T-handle)
  • Toothpick (rolls eyes)
  • Tweezers (yes, they work)
The item at the top is what makes the knife. I have used it to safely split out pieces of dry kindling from the underside of downed cedar and fir logs in a forest totally soaked by days of hard rain, craft emergency tent stakes, make "fuzz sticks", and prepare all sorts of camp dinners where cutting was needed and a larger blade was required. Might I add that the blade is still wicked sharp, even after more than 40 years of use?

I might add that the unlike the same tool on many jacknifes, the can opener actually works and works well as does the locking screwdriver (no chance of it folding when applying pressure.)

Steve
10-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the nice responses, folks, and for the info on your own EDC and/or favourite pocket knives. I find it interesting to hear what tools others like, and why

UK law prevents us from carrying locking or fixed blade knives, or any blade longer than 3" (7.62cm), unless we have a very valid reason for doing so - typically relating to work or a sporting activity (for instance, a chef can carry his or her longer knives to and from work, while someone camping could probably carry a suitable fixed blade or locker). I've always liked non-locking Victorinox folding pocket knives as they're big on utility yet pretty innocuous. It takes an especially nervous individual to be spooked by a Swiss Army Knife

With my Spartan, I frequently used both cutting blades, the bottle opener, can opener, flat-blade screwdriver and corkscrew (I missed not having a cross-blade screwdriver, but the corkscrew took higher priority for me! ). I never used the toothpick for its intended purpose, but found it great for removing dirt from narrow spaces, such as the groove around my laptop's track pad.

I think this Wenger will do the trick. I haven't warmed to it just yet, but I think that's down to the disappointment of losing my "Old Faithful". Once I've carried the new knife for a few weeks and benefitted from the various implements, I suspect I'll feel differently

10-23-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My EDC is a CRTK (Columbia River Tool and Knife) M16-03-Z spear point with a 3 1/2 inch blade. It has served me well for about 18 years now. They were inexpensive and I got 2 but the other one is still in it's box It also fits nicely in an old Mini MagLite sheath so it hangs on my belt most of the time.

I also have a bunch of those inexpensive Mora knives mentioned above. They sit in various tool and shooting bags that I use. As mentioned above they come razor sharp and are good at holding an edge. I get the ones with the bright colored handles so it is easier to find hem.

Hard to lose a good tool that you have relied upon for years. They become extensions of you hands.
10-23-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had two Spartans over the years and a Huntsman now. After carrying one almost all my life, being without a pocketknife is like being undressed!
10-23-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

My old SAK Camper was dummy-corded to my flight suit for most of 16 years on flight status. Outside is worn and dinged, but the blades and tools are still in fairly decent shape.

A few years ago I picked up a Wenger Wood EVO. I like it. It will take time to develop the character the old Camper has.

10-26-2019, 08:08 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Not an EDC, special occasions only tucked down a sock. Damascus steel blade, Nepalese buffalo handle, Scottish silver bands.

10-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Not an EDC, special occasions only tucked down a sock. Damascus steel blade, Nepalese buffalo handle, Scottish silver bands.

Has a bit of a far Eastern look to it. Very appealing .
10-26-2019, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impulse buy on eBay, also not a great EDC, needs a lot of sharpening time still.

10-26-2019, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Impulse buy on eBay, also not a great EDC, needs a lot of sharpening time still.

What do you scratch with that thing?
10-26-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Sorry for your loss Mike I have the Swiss Army Evolution version of your Evogrip, its a nice knife. Currently my favorite EDC is the Swiss Army Pioneer X Alox..

Victorinox Pioneer X in silver - 0.8231.26
10-27-2019, 03:39 AM - 2 Likes   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted on this thread yet, until now
I know that feeling... here's mine.

The average Claidheamh-mòr ran about 140 cm (55 in) in overall length, with a 33 cm (13 in) grip, 107 cm (42 in) blade, and a weight of approximately 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg).

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-27-2019 at 03:46 AM.
10-27-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
bxf
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience, and I thought my Swiss Army Knife was stolen during international travel (as some other stuff had vanished in the past). I found my knife inside a shoe, years later!
10-27-2019, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I found my knife inside a shoe, years later!

I hope you didn't find it "the hard way"!

As a kid the neighbor up the street Walter Crabtree, a UPS driver, was putting on his pants,
and an open pocket knife in the pocket put him out of work for weeks.

So since before I had my first pocket knife I have always thought twice about carrying one...

Chris