Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 119 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But does it have a corkscrew?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.
11-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #62
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Loved that show.
11-29-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reading all these just makes me want an EDC pocket knife...

Dang it!
11-29-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

After nicking a finger while handling one of my small knives (not deep enough to draw blood, just sliced into the skin)...

I might have to resign myself to the fact that my arthritis-derived stiffness, pain and dexterity issues have made it a bit unsafe to use some of my former favorite pocket knives. Essentially the small and medium-sized ones.

Might have to sell some stuff and get a new one or three.

12-08-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #65
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a nice Swiss Army Tinker with 3" Blade and the BSA branding on it, but it disappeared several years ago. I don't often carry and EDC knife these days as I don't have one I'm especially fond of. I do keep a locking single folder on my Scout belt that I have on me at all Scouting activities. I have a small swiss army style one in one of the zipper pockets on my Scout pants as well that has a tiny blade, scissors, toothpick, tweezers and maybe a file or something? I have a matching one that I sometimes carry on me as well. Can't use it for much, but it does come in handy from time to time.

I should look at getting a nice EDC again. Probably go with a multitool variety, though an old "penknife" wouldn't be amiss either.
12-08-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The funny thing is, since buying my replacement Victorinox Spartan (which I still prefer), I've been using the Wenger a lot more than expected, and it's really quite a nice knife. I just wish the back-spring was a little stronger on some of the tools... It's fine on the blade, but the rest don't snap into place with that hard slap you get with Victorinox. Anyway, I'm happier with the knife than I was originally. It'll be a very good tool to carry in the glove box of my car
12-08-2019, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Veteran Member

I carry my Leatherman Wave everywhere, and use it most every day. In it's sheath there's two small pockets on the sides, where I put a lighter and a small folding wallet pen. Useful things to have around.

When out in the wilderness I'll also have another plain knife with me.

Either a Morakniv Companion, a sharp, useful, cheap knife. Fixed blade and works great for butchering animals:

Or a carbon steel Opinel, a sharp, useful, cheap knife. Locking folder (open and closed) and works great for cooking:

12-09-2019, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

Being based in Switzerland, I would recommend Victorinox multi purpose knives I use myself... We have 3 of them at home!
12-09-2019, 01:26 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
f you ever need a real knife, give me enough time (and money!) and I'll make you one like this
I'm a sucker for interesting knives myself - Being an orchestral oboist, you can't have too many knives!
12-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Being an orchestral oboist, you can't have too many knives!
OK, you'll have to explain!
12-09-2019, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #71
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm a sucker for interesting knives myself - Being an orchestral oboist, you can't have too many knives!
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
They're for scaring the bassoonist down from "fortissimo" to "pianissimo"
12-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #72
Veteran Member

As a piper (since we're on the topic of instruments apparently) I always make sure that I've got a knife stuffed down my sock
12-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #73
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Or a carbon steel Opinel, a sharp, useful, cheap knife. Locking folder (open and closed) and works great for cooking:
I have three or four carbon steel Opinels of different sizes, Bert. Awesome little knives that take an edge very well. Unfortunately, we can't legally carry the locking versions here in the UK, so I keep them at home. I do have one non-locking version, but without anything other than friction to hold the blade into the handle when closed, I'm just not comfortable with it in my pocket
12-09-2019, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have three or four carbon steel Opinels of different sizes, Bert. Awesome little knives that take an edge very well. Unfortunately, we can't legally carry the locking versions here in the UK, so I keep them at home. I do have one non-locking version, but without anything other than friction to hold the blade into the handle when closed, I'm just not comfortable with it in my pocket
Not to get political, but I think it's ridiculous that you can't have a locker, they're much safer. That being said, you're allowed them if you have a valid reason to have it, frankly the chance of being questioned about it are slim and most coppers probably won't give a damn if it's for cutting your block of cheese for lunch. (Now that I'm safely in Canada, I can say that I carried a locking knife around in the UK.) Ironically that's where I bought some a couple (locking) Opinels was in a Decathlon in the UK (I think it was the one in Edinburgh) as they worked out cheaper than getting them over here (on a side note, the I quite like the Decathlon stores). Didn't know you could get non-locking ones either, I'm not fond of using knives with blades that don't lock, as I've had one shut accidentally on my fingers and cut them before now (Well, it may have not been the safest using of a knife at the time but it wouldn't have happened if it was locked open).
12-09-2019, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oboists, like bassoonists have to make adjustments to our reeds which often involves scraping a few offending micrometers off the exterior of the cane reed so it vibrates in a more consistent manner. They are also useful for keeping the conductor in check.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
without anything other than friction to hold the blade into the handle when closed, I'm just not comfortable with it in my pocket
That would be a definite no from me as well.