Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I carry my Leatherman Wave everywhere, and use it most every day. In it's sheath there's two small pockets on the sides, where I put a lighter and a small folding wallet pen. Useful things to have around.

When out in the wilderness I'll also have another plain knife with me.

Either a Morakniv Companion, a sharp, useful, cheap knife. Fixed blade and works great for butchering animals:

Or a carbon steel Opinel, a sharp, useful, cheap knife. Locking folder (open and closed) and works great for cooking:
Same here, though I usually have a Morakniv Classic in the woods. The high carbon blades hold an edge so well.

12-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
The original Wave has been my EDC companion in the pass 10+yrs., I am not used to the Swiss Army tools, I need a strong pliers and the Wave seems to be the best choice for usability and portability, and I may upgrade to the Plus, other models with tools for specific purposes like gun cleaning is not useful to me, the Wave can serve most tasks for most people for everyday use.
Yep, I've had a few SAKs but the pliers are very useful. Another nice thing with the Wave Plus is replaceable wire-cutters.
12-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Same here, though I usually have a Morakniv Classic in the woods. The high carbon blades hold an edge so well.
I mostly use the companion for cutting up animals. The stainless-steel is worry won't corrode the same way, when you can't clean the blade properly until later. Also the rubber handle is still fairly grippy when covered in blood. (And, I'm not losing that bright orange...) I got it for under $20 just walking into a local outdoors store as well.
12-11-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The stainless-steel is worry won't corrode the same way
Agree. I have the stainless Companion on my boat for general duties. It holds an edge well and the handle stays grippy as you say.

FWIW, I purposely stain my carbon blades with vinegar. It's quicker than waiting for patina to develop and seems to make them less susceptible to rust. A little oil helps too when I think of it.

12-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
FWIW, I purposely stain my carbon blades with vinegar. It's quicker than waiting for patina to develop and seems to make them less susceptible to rust. A little oil helps too when I think of it.
Hmm, might try that with one of my Opinels.
12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have retired more than a few knives over the years, occasionally after sharpening made the drop point no longer covered by the handle when closed(gave it to my wife for her purse), or lost; like my 1970's deerslayer drop point my first real knife or the tattered old k-bar I wore on my belt in a kydex sheath as a teen. I carried a 10$ Old timer single blade for far too long and lost it for a while, which hurt more than losing my wedding ring(found the next winter in a glove), so when I found it again I decided I better retire it to a drawer since I was obviously too attached to it. I've collected way more than I've gotten attached to though, too big too small too flat, too soft, too ...lots of things. It's hard to find one that likes me.
03-06-2020, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
21 bit! Curiouser and curiouser! What sort of bits do they have?
There are a zillion different types of screw drive bits. Flat, Phillips, torx, square, hex, Tri drive, posidriv, many different variations for drive types with security features, the list goes on and on.

I have a kit in my toolbox that has over a hundred bits, covering all I mentioned and more. It even has a nifty Y shaped bit for driving cup hooks. Although I have never hung a cup on a cup hook, I have hung wind chimes all around the porch on the house on them as well as all the hummingbird feeders.

03-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There are a zillion different types of screw drive bits. Flat, Phillips, torx, square, hex, Tri drive, posidriv, many different variations for drive types with security features, the list goes on and on.

I have a kit in my toolbox that has over a hundred bits, covering all I mentioned and more. It even has a nifty Y shaped bit for driving cup hooks. Although I have never hung a cup on a cup hook, I have hung wind chimes all around the porch on the house on them as well as all the hummingbird feeders.

I have one of those too. I've never used it though.
03-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have one of those too. I've never used it though.
No wind chimes or bird feeders to hang, eh?
03-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No wind chimes or bird feeders to hang, eh?
No wind chimes. But, yes, we have some bird feeders and also outside lantern hooks. But, I've always preferred to hang the hooks by hand. That way I can make sure I get the hook pointing at exactly the right direction.